What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Live King Gutherson

Eelementary

Post Whore
Best defensive fullback and leads by example every week.... Yeah I'll pay that.

But I wouldn't compare him to Price. He's a long way short of that IMO. Have a look at the number GF's we played in/won when Price came to the club. His record and legacy is unrivalled. Is ahead of Bert in the Immortal stakes IMO.

Fair enough.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Manu is arguably the best fullback in the game at the moment. Absolute freak every time he plays there.

Manu is a superstar.

Would you swap Gutherson for him, though?

I am a huge fan of Joey Manu, but I wouldn't - some of the defensive plays Gutho comes up with are completely insane.

Pumpkin

Juniors
I'm a Roosters supporter and the last couple of games I've found myself raising an eyebrow, and wondering if father time has caught up with Tedesco. But I would avoid Gutherson like the plague. He isn't an origin player and he never will be.

emjaycee

Coach
I'm a Roosters supporter and the last couple of games I've found myself raising an eyebrow, and wondering if father time has caught up with Tedesco. But I would avoid Gutherson like the plague. He isn't an origin player and he never will be.
What special skills are needed to be an Origin player please?

Pumpkin

Juniors
What special skills are needed to be an Origin player please?
Class difference. Experience winning big games, not just having a couple of good club games lately.

He's like a tennis player who is ranked 80 in the world, who has had a couple of good wins lately. I want solid performers who are cemented in the top 10. They are the ones who will perform in big games and under intense pressure. Gutherson will see a ball loose in the in goal, try to kick it and have an air swing, and an opponent dive on it for a try. I've seen him do that in a big game.

emjaycee

Coach
Class difference. Experience winning big games, not just having a couple of good club games lately.

He's like a tennis player who is ranked 80 in the world, who has had a couple of good wins lately. I want solid performers who are cemented in the top 10. They are the ones who will perform in big games and under intense pressure. Gutherson will see a ball loose in the in goal, try to kick it and have an air swing, and an opponent dive on it for a try. I've seen him do that in a big game.
Yeah, I guess you are right.
But at least he won't see a 2-man overlap and decide to do it all on his own and get tackled 5 metres out on the last.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Ignore it to your own peril. Before Origin I said to pick Luai, not Hynes based on my criteria of playing well in big games. Everyone thought I was crazy. Then Hynes went off the boil 2 weeks prior to origin and Luai had 2 good games. Everyone suddenly forgot about Hynes. Now you are making the same mistake with Gutherson. The flavour of the week. Earlier in the year Parramatta wanted to get rid of him and get a better fullback.