What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking back at ancient controversies

King hit

Coach
Are you talking about how he went straight up to JT and tried to bait him into crying conspiracy?
Yes. They were so excited to do it as well. From memory they even said “ We’re going to head down to JT asap he is going to say something for sure”. Tallis had that massive smirk on his face as well. Some of my cousins were all in primary school at the time and even they thought the commentators were just assholes at the end.
The moment I heard Green (in the press conference) take full responsibility for the loss and echo JT's sentiment on the field, was the moment I thought "The Cowboys are a serious chance at going all the way next year (2015) because they no longer have the refs as an excuse ready to go if they lose".
They were a much more mature team that had come in bounds from 2012 and 13. Morgan’s breakout year was that year. Green made such a difference before crashing but his legacy should never be underestimated

gerg

Juniors
There was that Titans v Broncos semi final a few years back where the Titans were completely stitched up from the kick-off to the final whistle. That was the most one sided refereeing performance I have ever seen in my life .... outside of Raiders games of course.

Munky

Coach
There was that Titans v Broncos semi final a few years back where the Titans were completely stitched up from the kick-off to the final whistle. That was the most one sided refereeing performance I have ever seen in my life .... outside of Raiders games of course.

Remember that one.

Horrific reffing.

Canard

Immortal
Why a penalty in front of the post ?, I agree Mini knocked it on and a player from an offside position fell on it but it was wider out and nowhere near the post, the penalty out wide would have gave the Cowboys one, maybe two plays to score as they needed a try as the score was 19-16 to the Roosters.
I didn't mean literally in front of the posts, but it would have been a fairly "gettable" kick from that position.

Reflector

Bench
Tigers v Broncos at Campbelltown in 2018 and Warriors vs Storm in Melbourne a few years back come to mind as well

beave

Coach
I didn't mean literally in front of the posts, but it would have been a fairly "gettable" kick from that position.
Kick wouldn't have helped mate we were down by 3.

We packed the scrum though and it should have been time off with about 1-2 seconds to go or if Simpkins blew the penalty that should have been blown for the offside and allowed us take the quick tap, who knows what would have happened if we spread the ball to our right, we were denied that legitimate chance.

Canard

Immortal
Kick wouldn't have helped mate we were down by 3.

We packed the scrum though and it should have been time off with about 1-2 seconds to go or if Simpkins blew the penalty that should have been blown for the offside and allowed us take the quick tap, who knows what would have happened if we spread the ball to our right, we were denied that legitimate chance.
My booze addled memory....

But yeh, should have been a penalty.

horrie hastings

First Grade

But the score was 19-16 to the Roosters with about 10 seconds left on the clock so a penalty goal wasn't an option, they needed a try to win.
I do agree though it should have been a penalty which would have given the Cowboys one or two tackles, or as Beave pointed out they had formed the scrum so would have had a couple of seconds from that option to try and score.
I just saw Beave had answered that.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal

BadnMean

Juniors
I don't know why people get so upset about a correct decision. Ok the ref changed his mind but not to a wrong decision. If it were the other way around it would barely get a mention.

Rule 16.9, which governs when referees can change their calls, states clearly that referees can only overturn a decision relating to foul play.

Therefore, the ref is not entitled to change that decision after already making it and having players react to it and change the course of the play- let alone perhaps game.

The Referee judges on matters of fact and shall not subsequently alter those judgments. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had no knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge.

Reflector

Bench
Tallis tried to bait JT in the moments after on live TV into blowing up about it. Tallis is a pure gronk and tbh he should renounce his NQ heritage, ending his career the way we did in '04 was *chefs kiss*

I'm glad Paul Green (RIP) called it how it is in that '14 presser though and blamed ourselves for it. This trait was pretty evident from him early on in NQ but when he was starting to blame the refs in 2019 i knew his days were numbered as our coach as the pressure was visibly getting to him up in NQ.
Where did the Tallis hate spring from?

I mean I hated him because he was a thug, but I'm assuming you had different reasons...

King hit

Coach
And all for a decision that was correct. The response to that call was exactly the same as that Roosters/Cowboys semi in 2014 that has been brought up in this thread. It clearly was a knock on but the commentators were hysterical that it wasn’t. Emotion overruling all reality.

beave

Coach
Where did the Tallis hate spring from?

I mean I hated him because he was a thug, but I'm assuming you had different reasons...
When he signed with News in 1995 they pleaded with him to go back home to NQ when SL kicked off to try and get the new club moving in the right direction but he refused to and would only play for Wayne Bennett at Brisbane. He talks about it in his book. He loves to pull the "I'm a proud NQ'er card" when the narrative suits him but be f**ked if he would put his money where his mouth is and actually go back home and contribute to the region.

Then when he was on our board, Wayne Bennett was all but signed to come up to NQ (i think it was post dragons, the year escapes me) but it had to be ratified by the board. Tallis and Bennett had had a fairly big falling out, Tallis was now on our board (because we are stupid merkins) and guess which board member used his personal beef bullshit to stop him coming?

He was actually called out for it on live tv back when fox used to have public call ins after Monday night footy. He absolutely shit himself because I don't think anyone saw the question coming....... I wish it was me that made the phone call but it wasn't but i'd buy that bloke a beer if I ever met him.