What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes view on Yawnion

Eelectrica

Referee
Kingbunny said:
Graham also made the same comments on this radio program. Very funny stuff until "Tony the no idea Johnson" (the same guy that commentates union on foxunionsports) used the same old union crap that Rugby League is only played in 3 countries. At this point my wife turned the radio off knowning how piss off I'd become.

Is that the only line these Rugby Unionists can come up with - 'It's only played in three countries?'

If they don't make their game watchable, that's three more countries than Union will have.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
gregstar said:
LOL!

fantastic article.
fat slobs leaning against a maul or gathering around eachother "talking tactics" every 2 minutes aren't athletes.
:lol:
the sooner the aru goes bankrupt & the asociated queers & players are banished from the mainland, the better for all of us.

Imagine fatguts Matt Dunning in RL. His "athletic abilities" would see him struugling to get onto the bench for the Bomaderry Swamp Rats Regan Cup team. I stopped watching yawnion many years ago after witnessing England win a game (I think it was aginst the Wannabies) 21-18 with not a try scored. It was a field and penalty goal frenzy. Absolute rubbish!!!

seajay23

Juniors
The R in NRL stands for rugby, just like the R in ARU. Both games are forms of rugby, its just that one is much better than the other. Incidentally, the word league was used because the players wanted an actual competition (ie a league table), the rugger administrators were so up themselves they refused to have a competition as it would be beneath their dignity! I recommend to all Sean Fagan's wonderful book The Rugby Rebellion on the origin of league. As Laurie Daley said "league is a simple game played by simple blokes, union is a complex game played by wankers".

Woods99 said:
Lowes.......clothing store for bogans? Or am I missing something here?

Maybe he would be better off trying to work out why the Worriers struggle to draw more than a couple of thousand spectators to their home games, and why Bartercard matches draw a few hundred, on a good day.

How about you address the very relevant facts and issues that Lowe has raised in this article Woods? Or is that perhaps because you CAN'T answer any of these? So of course you resort to ridiculous and pointless comments, trying to hijack the thread. Union is dying and is irrelevant to general sporting fans because it is a terrible spectacle. Once you are left with 'true' union fans trying to prop up 4 tiers of the code in Australia, you are in some serious trouble my friend.

I can't wait till the APC bankrupts your rubbish sport in this country. Then you and the rest of the toffs can go back to the north shore where you belong.

fourplay

Juniors
We need to fight back and reclaim the word rugby.. look at foxsports website... there is "NRL" and "Rugby" ... wtf?

greeneyed

First Grade
Just like soccer has "bought" off Fox and forces them to call it "football" in their contracts. Union has bought off Fox long ago and forced them to call it "rugby" in their contracts. Smart. But the NRL should force them to call union "rugby union" and NRL "rugby league" and they should force them to call soccer "soccer" at the very least. Rugby league has for a century been called football in NSW and Qld and it should continue for another century.

Kingbunny

Juniors
fourplay said:
We need to fight back and reclaim the word rugby.. look at foxsports website... there is "NRL" and "Rugby" ... wtf?

There is only one word that can describe the new and improved foxsports website and that is "JUNK". My advice, avoid the site.

griff

Bench
While I'm warmed up, it's a mystery to me why no one has ever complained under the Fair Trading Act about rugby's ludicrous advantage law.

It's ridiculous to see the law applied for anything up to 90 seconds before the referee decides to take the play back to where an advantage was gained.

From what I can see, the clock isn't then wound back 90 seconds. So that period of meaningless play is lost, irrelevant and dispensed with.

Up to a dozen of these situations occur in every game - I'd be asking for my money back for the meaningless minutes!

That is a bloody good point, and actually one I made to someone the other night. A union game has maybe only 40 minutes of actual play, and probably 15 minutes of that are these non-periods where the advantage is called back.

It is essentially meaningless play that for all intents and purposes, didn't actually happen. Do tackles, kicks and passes in these non-periods count in the statistics?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
griff said:
That is a bloody good point, and actually one I made to someone the other night. A union game has maybe only 40 minutes of actual play, and probably 15 minutes of that are these non-periods where the advantage is called back.

It is essentially meaningless play that for all intents and purposes, didn't actually happen. Do tackles, kicks and passes in these non-periods count in the statistics?

A excellent point lost on the leather patch brigade who lets face it are only there for the social contact.

Iafeta

Referee
Both sports have different chemestries. Boxing and chess are similar to union, sometimes things take a lot of build up and momentum to get to it.

I prefer league of course, but can see the value in constructing good rugby union play.

Lowe though does hit the mark with the stats count, and break downs in play. I often laugh when there's articles or comment on how involved a player is and you look at the stats and he's made 6 tackles.