What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Round 7 vs Rabbitohs

Edwards 8
Naden 7
Crichton 7
Whare 6
To'o 8
Luai 7
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Fisher-Harris 8
Martin 7
Kikau 7
Yeo 8

Tetevano 6
Leota 6
Burns 4
Burton 4

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Round 7 vs Rabbitohs

Edwards 8
Naden 8
Crichton 7
Whare 6
To'o 8
Luai 7
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Kikau 6
Fisher-Harris 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7

Tetevano 5
Leota 5
Burns 6
Burton N/A - 1 minute - great bench management WTF?

We were looking very tired at the end, but in 2020 our team play tough and Cleary deserves credit for that. A couple of points:
  • Our bench props were very ineffective with the ball. 42 and 43m for Tetevano and Leota respectively. They both made 21 tackles, but our go forward stopped when they were on and were part of the reason we were pinned down for long periods. To be fair, all our forwards looked pooped, it's been a tough month;
  • Understandably, the whole team looks knackered after four games in a row against quality opposition. We need the 9 day break and maybe some bench rotation with Hethrington and Leniu;
  • James Tamou is like Vegemite and some people just don't like him. His salary is brought up every other week and people usually say "we don't need him, he is old and Leota and Tetevano are better". Pfft. 182m when we were being hammered by their forwards. We still need his tough metres and tackle efficiency, remembering that Tamou always starts and plays against their fresh, starting forwards. He doesn't stroll on when the softening up period is over, he is the "softener upper". Our bench props just aren't at his standard and if he goes we will miss him;
  • JFH needs to be arrested and examined by government scientists. I am not sure he is actually human. 238m and 35 tackles after his efforts in the last four weeks is incredible. His 7 game average is 197.1m and 36 tackles. All made as a prop, not out on the edges like Taumalola. Is he the best forward the Panthers have ever had?
  • Naden was superb in his first game. He rucked the ball up Mansour style and he offered much more threat out wide. Mansour couldn't score that try because he isn't fast enough to beat the cover defence. For me, Naden to centre, Whare to Reggies. Mansour is still good value as a winger, especially with Naden assisting with his height and speed out wide;
  • Cleary was very good, controlling the game with astute kicking and a nice little run at the end. He clearly wasn't well, but he is a tough bugger and still put in for the team. Well done. I'm not sure how the ref's missed the head high tackle when he went to kick the ball. Was the sun in their eyes?

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Edwards 8
Naden 8
Crichton 7
Whare 6
To’o 8
Luai 8
Cleary 9
Tamou 8
Api 7
JFH 9
Martin 7
Kikau 7
Yeo 8

Tetevano 6
Leota 6
Burns 4
Burton N/A

Very impressed with Nathan after last night. He is one tough hombre, to play with a head like that to start with requires a fair bit of steel. Add to that the high shot in the first set & Souffs big boys working him over after each kick (legally for the most part) & it's an effort someone like Geoff Toovey would be proud of. It's a shame the goal kicking radar was off, but that aside he controlled the game like a grizzled veteran. I know we would all love a bit more creativity, but give me that composure & game management over someone like Moses who can look like a genius one week & go missing the next. If neither of them were to improve their weaknesses I'd bet Cleary will be responsible for more results than Moses will over a year. If Moses were to manage games like Nathan he would be one hell of a player.

Naden was excellent in his first came back. I know the stats tell a different story, but watching the game I felt we missed Sauce coming out of trouble. We seemed to be around the 40 on the last tackle a lot more than usual. They both offer something different to each other. I cant imagine Sauce staying in the field on that play & scoring a few tackles later. That was brilliant work from Naden. Great to have options I guess.

Our starting middle are beasts. It's nice to have no bludgers in the pack for a change. I cant see too many other teams winning the battle of the middle. Our average play the ball speed has been substantially faster than our opposition each week. A lot of that is due to these boys getting us on the front foot.

Edwards is building nicely as is Luai. I was a Burton advocate, but Luai has been pretty impressive the last few weeks. I would still like to see Burton get a solid 30 minutes each week, but it is what it is. I'm sure he will get his shot soon enough.

soc123_au

Staff member
Even the World's Best Player can't do everything. Cleary would have stopped Sivo last week.

I dont think an M1 Abrams would have stopped Sivo on that run. Our boy would have certainly given it his best effort though. He is an outstanding cover defender.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Edwards 8
Naden 8
Crichton 7
Whare 6
To'o 8
Luai 7
Cleary 8.5
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Kikau 6
Fisher-Harris 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7.5

Tetevano 5
Leota 5
Burns 6
Burton N/A

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Round 6 vs Storm Average Ratings

Edwards 7.9
Mansour 5.9
Crichton 5.9
Whare 6.4
To'o 7.8
Luai 7.5
Cleary 8.1
Tamou 6.0
Koroisau 7.9
Fisher-Harris 7.4
Kikau 7.5
Martin 7.0
Yeo 7.9

Tetevano 6.3
Leota 6.2
Burns 4.2

Standings (games)

1. Fisher-Harris 462 (6)
2. Yeo 451 (6)
3. Koroisau 443 (6)
4. Kikau 413 (6)
5. To'o 399 (6)
6. Tamou 385 (6)
7. Mansour 383 (6)
8. Luai 372 (6)
9. Crichton 371 (6)
10. Leota 358 (6)
11. Tetevano 357 (6)
12. Whare 329 (6)
13. Cleary 310 (4)
14. Aekins 273 (5)
15. Martin 242 (4)
16. Burns 181 (4)
17. Burton 180 (3)
18. Capewell 142 (4)
19. Naden 127 (2)
20. Edwards 79 (1)
21. Kenny 70 (2)
22. Hetherington 51 (1)

Interesting that Nathan Cleary is now 3rd in the Dally M's, covering 16 clubs, while he is only 13th on this table, due to giving away 2 games to other players. Fisher-Harris after 4 games had 320. Look for Cleary to gradually climb as he plays more games. This format gets things right over the full season.

By the way Round 7 closes at kick off in the Tigers game.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Hi Frog, I notice that I had put Burns as a N/A for only playing a minute. I mean't Burton of course and have amended accordingly.

Pomoz

Bench
Edwards 8
Naden 8
Crichton 7
Whare 6
To'o 8
Luai 7
Cleary 8.5
Tamou 7
Koroisau 7
Kikau 6
Fisher-Harris 8
Martin 7
Yeo 7.5

Tetevano 5
Leota 5
Burns N/A
Burton 6
My fault Tronald, I gave Burns the N/A and he played 31 minutes. I mean't Burton N/A of course as I'm sure you did.

The_Frog

First Grade
Hi Frog, I notice that I had put Burns as a N/A for only playing a minute. I mean't Burton of course and have amended accordingly.
I'm a bit torn as to whether to even count Burton as having played in this game. He only got one minute and made 1 tackle.

Pomoz

Bench
I'm a bit torn as to whether to even count Burton as having played in this game. He only got one minute and made 1 tackle.
All part of the Tax Accountants master plan. Give a bloke 1 minute in 160 minutes of football and let the rest of the team do more. It makes perfect sense not to rotate players when we have no reserve grade players to help get players fit. Pure genius.

Latest posts