What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

anjado

Juniors
I think Luke Burt has been part of Parramatta's problems for a while now. Not to say he is a bad player or anything he is certainly a solid first grader and has been throughout his career. But how many other clubs especially successful clubs have kept around solid players like Luke Burt in the past 10 years.

How much money would he have earned out of the club and really is investing in a relatively average first grader like Burt been worth the money. Would they have been better off keeping Pat Richards than Luke Burt for example.

Look at the one club veterans at other clubs

Brisbane - Corey Parker (International)
Cronulla - Paul Gallen (International)
Manly - Jason King (State of Origin) Anthony Watmough (International)
Melbourne - Cameron Smith (International)
Newcastle - Kurt Gidley (International)
North Queensland - Matt Bowen (International) Aaron Payne (Clubman)
Parramatta - Nathan Hindmarsh (International) Luke Burt (Clubman)
Penrith - Luke Lewis (International)
St George - Matt Cooper (International) Ben Hornby (International)
Roosters - Anthony Minichiello (International)

Out of all the one team club players to debut before 2003. The only other non rep player is Aaron Payne. The rest are all understandable Minichiello and Hindmarsh etc were once fantastic players and are owed club loyalty.

If Luke Burt was at any other club they probably would of shipped him off about 5 years ago.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Am I reading right? class, x-factor? :lol:

Go look at his stats for the last two seasons. He is hands down the laziest player in the NRL.

Never puts his body on the line. I remember one game last year he caught the ball Ingoal and rushed out to the twenty for a quick tap. He got there and seen a full defensive line. He fair dinkum stopped in his tracks, and passed to an unsuspecting Parramatta player.

One of those players who have coasted to 250 games because you don't even notice him. Now that Haynes.back and Sandow can kick, there can be no more justification for Burt to be in first-grade with some of the talent Parra now have.

Last edited:
Am I reading right? class, x-factor? :lol:

Go look at his stats for the last two seasons. He is hands down the laziest player in the NRL.

Never puts his body on the line. I remember one game last year he caught the ball Ingoal and rushed out to the twenty for a quick tap. He got there and seen a full defensive line. He fair dinkum stopped in his tracks, and passed to an unsuspecting Parramatta player.

One of those players who have coasted to 250 games because you don't even notice him. Now that Haynes.back and Sandow can kick, there can be no more justification for Burt to be in first-grade with some of the talent Parra now have.

:clap::clap::clap: 100% correct. Except for the part about passing to an unsuspecting player when he saw the full defensive line. He looked around both ways and there was nobody up there with him so he fell to the ground untouched. Weakest thing i've ever seen on a football field from a first grader.

Last edited:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Can't believe I'm going to say this but here goes... The Eels looked much better with Ben Roberts on the field. He is usually a genuine nuffy but he was playing well last night. Once he went off the pressure was all on Sandow and he couldn't handle it. The eels structure fell apart and they couldn't recover from there. With Roberts on the field they looked composed and had options on both sides, once he went off they just kept shoveling the ball sideways, looking for someone to do something with it.

Yep, I mentioned it in another thread. Funny how a team looks better with two proper halves. When he was off they looked exactly like last year.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
I still can't see Parra doing anything this year to be honest. I've never been sold on Roberts, although he has flashes of alrightness here and there he is generally very average and inconsistent. Same can be said for Sandow although he is far more talented ,i think with Kearney coaching him he could turn into a very consistent player in the future, he will still be very up and down this year but next year i expect him to have a big year.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Says a lot about parra when he is one of their best players. They should have kept inu and got rid of Burt.

Will always be remembered for missing a goal 20m out dead infront that ended the eels 2010 against the tigers. I'll never forget all the eels fans around me cheering when he missed a they assumed he had kicked it LOL

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Says a lot about parra when he is one of their best players. They should have kept inu and got rid of Burt.

Never heard of the salary cap?

Inu's on 2-3 times what Burt is getting. And he's sitting in reserve grade.

Burt will be gone next year - we already have better wingers at the club (e.g. Kenny Sio).

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Will always be remembered for missing a goal 20m out dead infront that ended the eels 2010 against the tigers. I'll never forget all the eels fans around me cheering when he missed a they assumed he had kicked it LOL

Im sorry mate. But Id rather Burt than Krisnan Inu.

In saying that, Burt is past his best, but he did better than some of the other clowns last night. He's still a pretty good goal kicker.

Springs

First Grade
One of the most underrated players of the modern era.

He has an x-factor about him that means he produces class touches that you wouldn't think he was capable of, if he didn't do it often. What he is is a footballer. Not an athlete. Not a giant. But a footballer. It's nice that there is still a few of them around.

Exactly right.

25 years ago guys like Luke Burt and even Steve Turner would've played for Australia, just good reliable players with a good football brain and have all the fundamentals down pat, unfortunately in this era if you're Burt and Turner's size you need elite level speed, footwork and acceleration, and they just don't have it. If they were maybe 10cm and 10kg bigger then sure they'd be fine but when outside backs these days look like Manu Vatuvei, Aku Uate, Israel Folau, Greg Inglis, Jarryd Hayne, etc guys like Turner and Burt just don't compare very favourably

Also exactly right. Vatuvei (although I think he is great) drops the ball 4 times a game but then runs someone over to score in the corner and everyone thinks he is great.

But when Burt runs from dummy half, kicks in behind the line and scores a magnificent solo try it's nothing. Why? Because he can't just smash through the line like a huge outside back.

He is a great support player, great positionally, can come up with magic plays and is a great thinker.

Eels Dude

Coach
Exactly right.

Also exactly right. Vatuvei (although I think he is great) drops the ball 4 times a game but then runs someone over to score in the corner and everyone thinks he is great.

But when Burt runs from dummy half, kicks in behind the line and scores a magnificent solo try it's nothing. Why? Because he can't just smash through the line like a huge outside back.

He is a great support player, great positionally, can come up with magic plays and is a great thinker.

My favourite Burty moment was the try he scored against Penrith in 2009. Chased down a clearing kick that Jarrod Sammut should have covered easily. He tackled him in the in goal, pulled off a one on one strip and planted the ball down fpr a try. There wasn't another player in sight of them. Don't think I've ever seen another try scored like that in first grade. And only someone with the vision of Burt would think of doing such a move, let alone be able to execute it.

sputneek

Juniors
Didn't Burt play halfback last year? He should be in the halves so Hindmarsh can protect him, like Soward and Scott.

Eels Dude

Coach
Eels are gonna do nothing this year

Still upset we took Sandow off you? The way you LOL@50uff$ fans are invading the Eels forum it looks like Rusty is creating just as many fake LU accounts as he is creating fake LOL@50uff$ members.

Loudstrat

Coach
A fast track player has a poor night in the wet and he gets his own "myth" thread by some nuffy twat who - with all the avatar potential in the cyber world - choses Henry Wrinkler with his mouth open.

We kept Luke Burt and let you have John Morris. We win.