What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

Raider_69

Post Whore
Well let's have a look how everyone goes after next weekend.

We're playing a side with a lot more defensive weaknesses than Brisbane, and we should have Hayne and Tonga back on deck.

The weather won't matter as much because like us, the Warriors are a dry-weather team. If it's wet it will hurt them as much as it hurts us - little nippy blokes like Burt and Sandow were limited in the wet, as are Johnson and Locke.

I reckon we're at least evens.

Round 1, its too early to making grand statements. Both sides have superstars and some questions still to answer. I honestly think the eels have one of the worst rosters in the league and the raiders have top 4 and premiership potential. Elite half, great pack with mobility, size and speed, a superstar fullback and at his best, an x-factor on the wing. Parra are rebuilding, and they have great young talent coming through. In time they will be a good side, its just not going to be in 2012. Unless Hayne goes off like he did in his dally m year. But like any side, and it happened with us and Campo, if a talented player gets that hot, they are just about untouchable.

obviously im biased but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king ;-)

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You reckon it's that easy to pick between teams?

I look at the rosters and see three top 8 certainties, and then thirteen mid-table sides.

Of those thirteen mid-table teams, eight are going to miss the finals. Plenty of people who think their club is a good chance are going to miss out. Like Titans and Raiders fans last year.

Last year only the Eels and Sharks were certainties (on paper) to miss the eight. This year I don't think any team is.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Someone would have to have an absolute Barry Crocker on MNF to pass Burt as the worst player from round 1

Stewie

Juniors
Luke Burt is garbage. Appropiate he plays for a garbage team.

Were you raped by an old homeless man wearing a Parra jersey in Church St Mall when you were younger? You have quite an unhealthy hatred for a football team. Maybe you need to get counselling or even a life and move on.

Ladmate

Bench
As for orford, we paid him around 250k, for a dally m winner and premiership winning half, i dont think thats large dollars. You paid 550k for a half who has played 1 finals game in his career.

Actually, Sandow has never played a finals game or a rep game for QLD/AUS.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Were you raped by an old homeless man wearing a Parra jersey in Church St Mall when you were younger? You have quite an unhealthy hatred for a football team. Maybe you need to get counselling or even a life and move on.

Unhealthy hatred? I was just stating a fact. He's a shit player and Parramatta aren't a good side.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Actually, Sandow has never played a finals game or a rep game for QLD/AUS.

hmmm i thought he chalked one up for souths... so they paid 550k for a halfback who's never won or really played in a big game. Interesting recruitment policy

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Sandow is probably the best halfback in the comp when he has Ben Roberts by his side, any great half would struggle without Roberts.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Agreed. And i think that claim is validated by Thurston's effort this weekend, he has suffered greatly by Ben Roberts absence.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
hmmm i thought he chalked one up for souths... so they paid 550k for a halfback who's never won or really played in a big game. Interesting recruitment policy

I don't know if you've noticed but every week is a big game in the NRL. The rules are exactly the same. Players are still playing for their pride and their livelihoods.

Raider_69

Post Whore
That sounds great in theory. But speak to players who have been in semi finals, been involved in a finals series, SOO footy

find me one who thinks those "big games" is like every other... i know they like to say its just another game in the week leading up. That cliche disappears very quickly after it.

Sandow hasnt been tested in the big game arena, i guess his biggest game was last year V the knights in rd 26, and he was found wanting

as i said, interesting recruitment policy

Eels Dude

Coach
Raider 69 is probably one of the most unbiased members of the forums overall. I don't think he can put into the category of biased Raiders fans (like Skeepe)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That sounds great in theory. But speak to players who have been in semi finals, been involved in a finals series, SOO footy

find me one who thinks those "big games" is like every other... i know they like to say its just another game in the week leading up. That cliche disappears very quickly after it.

I think Origin is obviously different to club matches but finals footy is exactly the same - same teams, same players, same performances.

Sandow hasnt been tested in the big game arena, i guess his biggest game was last year V the knights in rd 26, and he was found wanting

No, he played in that massive rep game that is the All-Star match.

as i said, interesting recruitment policy

A great recruitment decision according to the experts in the game, including Bennett.

Running, kicking, passing - it's no different in finals footy than rounds 1-26.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think Origin is obviously different to club matches but finals footy is exactly the same - same teams, same players, same performances..

In theory yes, but thats why book worms dont play professional sports
you dont really seem have a great grasp on sport, tbh

Greg Inglis is a great example, mostly a rubbish club player but is always a major factor in big games, be them finals or SOO.

So many other players are good club players but cant step up at the next level. The pressure increases in finals footy and some are not up to it.

If you dont think there is a difference between club football and finals football, we dont really have a meeting of the minds here and there is no point discussing the matter further

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In theory yes, but thats why book worms dont play professional sports

you dont really seem have a great grasp on sport, tbh

I used to be an infantry soldier if that allays your fears for my physical ability. It's not pro sport, but I did get paid to stay fit and train for violent confrontations. The army took me to Timor and Afghanistan.

Don't assume I'm a book worm because of my high literacy level - I also played rugby league at school and at amateur level right up to my early 20s.

I am really an all-round superior human being, as you no doubt suspected.

Greg Inglis is a great example, mostly a rubbish club player but is always a major factor in big games, be them finals or SOO.

Since when was he a rubbish club player? Since he started to struggle with injury? Or since he went to Souths?

The guy scored 78 tries in 117 games for Melbourne. The vast majority of those at club level.

Did you say something dismissive about "a meeting of minds"?

So many other players are good club players but cant step up at the next level.

Like who?

The pressure increases in finals footy and some are not up to it.

Pressure is pressure. If they weren't up to it they wouldn't stay in first grade.

If you dont think there is a difference between club football and finals football, we dont really have a meeting of the minds here and there is no point discussing the matter further

This from a man who thinks Greg Inglis is "mostly a rubbish club player". Please allow me to use an emoticon... :roll:

Latest posts