What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke O'Donnell: I'm not a thug

gong_eagle

First Grade
Luke O'Donnell: I'm not a thug

By Steve Mascord | June 02, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23792636-5006066,00.html

NORTH Queensland second- rower Luke O'Donnell last night accused touch judge Russell Turner of "grossly inappropriate" behaviour and Penrith coach Matthew Elliott of hitting "below the belt" as it emerged he could face four charges from Saturday's spiteful loss to the Panthers. The NSW selection hopeful was sent off on Turner's report for lifting an elbow in the face of Luke Lewis, was involved in similar incidents with Luke Priddis and Trent Waterhouse and there was confirmation yesterday he was reported by Turner for verbal abuse as he walked off Dairy Farmers Stadium.
But in a remarkable outburst, O'Donnell told The Daily Telegraph: "I'll never plead guilty to intentionally elbowing someone in the face," and reckoned Penrith players should change their tackling technique rather than him altering his own running style.
He offered no remorse for comments made to Turner, saying "he has left me with a stain and I take it personally.

"I let him know what I thought when I came off because, one, I thought his report was ridiculous.
"Two, I didn't like the way he delivered it.
"And three, the way he stood beside the ref, shaking his head at me - half-trying to intimidate me - as Penrith players spoke to the ref was grossly inappropriate and unprofessional.
"If he can stand in front of the mirror and say to himself that he did the right thing, then he is a brave man. This is a stain against my name, how can they expect me not to be emotional?

Related Links

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O'Donnell launches tirade at touchie

Glenn Jackson | June 2, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/odonnell-launches-tirade/2008/06/01/1212258648814.html

NORTH Queensland lock Luke O'Donnell has launched an astonishing attack on touch judge Russell Turner - as well as Panthers coach Matthew Elliott - in a bitter aftermath to his sending-off on Saturday night against Penrith.
O'Donnell suggested Turner's input in his dismissal - for an alleged elbow on Panther Luke Lewis - was personal, and described the decision as "rubbish".
"Everyone can see it was rubbish," O'Donnell said. "It almost felt like … it was a bit weird, a bit personal, the way it came out.
"He was standing beside the ref [rookie Alan Shortall] and the ref was talking to the Penrith players - he [Turner] was looking in my direction and shaking his head. This is before he's given his report. I don't know why - my fate was probably sealed."
The Panthers went on to win 19-18 in golden-point extra time.
Amid suggestions that Turner may file a report over what O'Donnell said to him immediately after he received his marching orders, the Cowboy said Turner's claim that his actions were intentional was "below the belt" and a "blight" on him.
"I take a lot of offence to it [the suggestion it was intentional], and it makes me angry," he said. "And the more I see it on TV, it burns me.
"It's as if I chased Luke Lewis across the field and tried to knock his block off. That was pretty below the belt and uncalled for.
"If the ref was going off the touch judge's report, I thought that was nothing short of ridiculous, the way he delivered it. It was just so off the mark.
"It's been a slow road back for me [since a hamstring injury in 2007], and I certainly don't need to be missing more games."
Describing the incident as "innocuous", O'Donnell said he was attempting to push Lewis, and implored the match review committee to ignore Turner's report.
"I hope they take absolutely nothing that the touch judge said into account, because it was pretty out there … Anyway, he got his one-up on me. He got me sent off."
Asked if he felt Turner should be held accountable, he said: "He put a fair bit of pressure on the young ref. We played half a game with 12 men. I'm hoping it doesn't cost me more, but he cost me a half last night. I'll be shattered if I'm suspended for that.
"Our season's on the line, and the players are accountable for everything they do. Little things like that can have a big impact on people's careers. If you're going to be coming up, cocksure as he was, he'd want to make sure he was making the right call.
"I'm not trying to bag officials too much, because without them we don't have a game, but … if they're going to come out and make a big call, they should know they're going to be held accountable if they make the wrong call."
After the game, Elliott said the hit reminded him of an incident in 2003 involving O'Donnell and Michael Monaghan which led to an 11-match suspension for the then Wests Tigers player.
Elliott, who was coaching Monaghan's Canberra side at the time, also said O'Donnell "got" Panther Luke Priddis earlier in Saturday night's game.
To that, O'Donnell responded: "I was really disgusted that he had to bring up my incident from 2003. I'll say to the day I die, it was an accident. Unfortunately Michael Monaghan got injured, and if I had my time again, I wouldn't have attempted to tackle that way."
The NRL's chief operating officer Graham Annesley said he had not been told about any suggestion Turner was verballed by O'Donnell, but said: "I haven't spoken with Russell Turner but any official has the ability to lodge a report."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
And the Acadamy Award goes to Luke Lewis for the best acting of the year, Cheesy smile and all.

That send of has confirmed that the game has become gay and some of the referees are not up to standard.

Big Mick

Referee
right...he's not a thug.

Sorry..but if you have a history of being an absolute wanker...and a history of poor behaviour on the field...you are a thug.

Photographic evidence does not lie...video evidence does not lie..you led with your elbow with it cocked in a "preventative motion" because obviously Luke Lewis was a massive threat to a big prick like yourself. It wasn't of course a case of lifting your elbow to take out one of the in form players of the team. It wasn't a case of looking to shove the elbow to the throat to intentially cause injury...of course not.

You got what you deserved Luke. Cop it like a man...stop crying like a little biatch, because all it does is prove you are a grub.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Petulant child. didn't like the way the touchie spoke to him. I bet the Touchie didn't like the way spoilt brat O'donnell spoke either.

with a spoilt dickhead like that in the side, no wonder the best coach the Cowpats ever had endured 'player unrest'.

And to think he used to grace the Blues scrum next to the great Nathan Hindmarsh!

And the Acadamy Award goes to Luke Lewis for the best acting of the year, Cheesy smile and all.

That send of has confirmed that the game has become gay and some of the referees are not up to standard.

absolute rubbish.

why would he then go off the field after sustaining the injury?

Big Mick

Referee

Yeah...he didn't make contact at all...just went straight for the throat no biggy..

You know it could just kill a guy if it collapses his throat but yeah...game is soft when this sort of catish behaviour is allowed to be passed through..yeah no worries.

r256203_1059818.jpg

fatshark

Bench
I think that Parra player is in a lot more trouble. Speaking of thugs, is Hodges th biggest niggle cat in the game?

mepelthwack

Juniors
You ARE a thug O'Donnell and for that matter a sook.

Admitting these simple facts will be your first step in the healing process!

aids

Bench
i remember back to earlier this year, itgers v cows at the cowdome.
luke argued with the ref that he hadn't thrown a punch at fulton during and altercation, while he is compklaining to the ref in his man-child voice they show footage of him land punches to the the side of fultons head while he was rolling from the tackle.

either he is autistic, or he is a liar.

either way he is going to get a break for a few week for mouthing off at the touchie alone.

mightypanther

Juniors
i remember back to earlier this year, itgers v cows at the cowdome.
luke argued with the ref that he hadn't thrown a punch at fulton during and altercation, while he is compklaining to the ref in his man-child voice they show footage of him land punches to the the side of fultons head while he was rolling from the tackle.

either he is autistic, or he is a liar.

either way he is going to get a break for a few week for mouthing off at the touchie alone.

I vote for him being both. And a thug.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I think that Parra player is in a lot more trouble. Speaking of thugs, is Hodges th biggest niggle cat in the game?

I thought Hodges left all that niggly s**t when he left the Roosters, but you can clearly see him doing it in every tackle still for the Broncs.

All that shirt grabbing and dragging hypes him up.

Make a wish Lukey...

http://www.nospam09.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/luke-odonnell-cowboys-wishbone-injury-against-tigers.jpg

He's still on the angry pills over that one.

Snoz

Juniors
ask michael monaghan about luke o'donnells elbow - broke his jaw about 5 seasons ago and from memory it was in back play

Latest posts