What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke THE CAT Burt

MrT

Juniors
Noone is blaming Burt Colonel, just acknowledging that his effort in the first Inglis try was unacceptable.

Luke "Boom Gate" Burt, he ain't a speed hump because he moves out of the way when the object gets close to him.

The effort on Inglis for first try and Sandow were disgraceful. Did he actually leave fingerprints on them?

No chance in hell should he play fullback next year

Stagger eel

Staff member
Luke "Boom Gate" Burt, he ain't a speed hump because he moves out of the way when the object gets close to him.

The effort on Inglis for first try and Sandow were disgraceful. Did he actually leave fingerprints on them?

No chance in hell should he play fullback next year

I'd use the word poor, however if the bloke was Shane Elford, "disgraceful" would be a better word..

oldmancraigy

Coach
We broke the record for linebreaks conceded without the fullback laying a hand on a player all game. The record is now about 15

simply untrue.

When Sandow scored Burt clearly made the touch.
He raised his hand and called TOUCH and showed the mark - should've been a penalty for Sandow playing on and running off the mark. Refs cheated us big time on that play.

I understand some people's rage here - but what's the option? To put in the equally inept defender in Marmin Barba? Who, sure might offer more in attack, but would bring LESS defensively, and being a stone cold rookie would make more mistakes/ bigger blunders.
We simply don't have any backline options this season - Tahu/Grothe walking out and Reddy being injured/bad attituded all season have meant that we played rookies until they got injured, and then got stuck with backrowers (even out on the wing in the second half).

If we want to score a point in a game of footy we need Hayne at 5/8 for now - so the only option in the club (who isn't a backrower) to play fullback is Burt.
Don't waste your breath whinging about it this year - there's no other option....

eel01s

Bench
IMO Burt showed why he should not be fullback in 2012. You just cannot rely on him making a trysaving tackle in any situation. He won't contest a bomb either, and that is unforgiveable as a fullback.

I am not blaming him for the loss, the entore side bar Fui was pathetic, I am just trying to be objective.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
Burt = Turnstile

No need to say anything more but his actions last night were indefensable. But i'm sure this so-called club legend will be defended.

BTW all the other were disgraceful too except for Fui who tried his arse off.

SDM

First Grade

Yes, but he doesn't jump over them, so I think "Matador" would be more apt.

Bigfella

Coach
They were awful attempts and bombing the first try was ugly... But that was a mental loss and I don't think it reflected the teams or individuals abilities in a true sense.

I love the posters who said he just scored our first try... What optimists!

born an eel

Bench
They were awful attempts and bombing the first try was ugly... But that was a mental loss and I don't think it reflected the teams or individuals abilities in a true sense.

I love the posters who said he just scored our first try... What optimists!
but I thought we didn't have a mental issue at the club and our perfomance was all about of lack of ability in the roster :crazy:

BigErn

Juniors
simply untrue.

When Sandow scored Burt clearly made the touch.
He raised his hand and called TOUCH and showed the mark - should've been a penalty for Sandow playing on and running off the mark. Refs cheated us big time on that play.

I understand some people's rage here - but what's the option? To put in the equally inept defender in Marmin Barba? Who, sure might offer more in attack, but would bring LESS defensively, and being a stone cold rookie would make more mistakes/ bigger blunders.
We simply don't have any backline options this season - Tahu/Grothe walking out and Reddy being injured/bad attituded all season have meant that we played rookies until they got injured, and then got stuck with backrowers (even out on the wing in the second half).

If we want to score a point in a game of footy we need Hayne at 5/8 for now - so the only option in the club (who isn't a backrower) to play fullback is Burt.
Don't waste your breath whinging about it this year - there's no other option....

Free Humble

forward pass

Coach
Burt was terrible last night - I agree. But so was Hindy, Hayne, Lasalo and Maguire.

It was one of those games that happen every now and then. We just need to move on.

On a positive note, it was good to have Poore back, Brien did well, Allgood and Mannah were very good, O'Hanlon seemed to crawl out of his shell a little and FFMM was amazing. I honestly think we will beat Manly next week! There I said it.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Fair dinkum.

Plenty of mates yes. Etu Useless, Hicks, McGuire, Keating, Lasalo arent 1st graders. Horo & Ben Smith are out of position.

Burt is a veteran playing in his preferred position not having a dig at all and it happens All to often with this idiot. Can't wait till the club pisses him off. Players like him are the poster boys for our mediocrity. Piss off!

You are entitled to your opinion but I do not share it.

The last 5 coaches have all continued to select him. He has won the game for us on numerous occasions over many seasons. He was never good enough for Origin (& he knew that) but he will always be recognised as a solid, professional, reliable first grader. In my opinion, Luke Burt is a club legend and deserves more respect than he gets from some Eels "supporters".

WOE

His ability to finish off a try and kick goals at 80% have over shadowed the fact he does not make hard yards , goes missing in tough contests, wont contest a bomb, has a below average kicking game and is totally inept in defence.

Why when one singles out the poor ness of Burts game must people say he wasnt to blame for the 50point loss. Obviously we wouldn't have won regardless of how he went, but if he is always one of the 1st picked in our team and a role model for the younger guys coming through, we will continue to be a frustrating , mentally weak side.

jason taylor

Bench
Oh look Sefton Boy has finally left the playhouse with his alter ego Ashley. To think he has posted 260 times about how crap Burt is when he has been selected for the last 10 years by 4 different coaches. If he was crap he would be gone.

SeftonBoy

Juniors
F*** stupid. Your Mum is calling you in for dinner now. Off you go.

3 of which have been sacked & the 4th one had no choice. Realistically he's had no fight on his hand for a position in the team from this poor roster.

That's alright mate Burt can be the fullback again next year. But guess what....they won't make the 8 because you need energy from your FB & this guy looks to me physically scared to mix it in any way. Last night proved it. Go on defend his effort on tackling Inglis & Sandow last night......pathetic.

He was out of favour with B Smith when Smith left.

Hagan had no idea and was playing Hayne on the wing

He was very nearly gone under Anderson, but re-signed when he hit a purple patch towards the end of 2009.

Kearney's inherited him. He said the other day he wants to play until he's 33. I doubt he will be given the chance.

He wasn't in position to make a tackle last night. Actually I lie. Hindmarsh was on Taylors back one time and Burt grabbed Taylors arm. He was arm grabbing all over the place, and to think half of you idiots think he's the best fullback in the club because it allows Hayne to move to 5/8.

Whats our record with Burt at Fullback? Something like 2 from our last 16?

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
I like Luke, but he is purely a finsher and kicker, against the Storm he failed to contest bombs or tackle and he has become a liability to be honest.

I will be surprised if he plays much NRL next year, but he consistently proves us all wrong,Hayne is much more dangerous at 1, Luke is always found out when we are under pressure, great club man.

The same as it would have been with anyone else at fullback!

Im pretty sure its not as diabolical with Hayne there. Its a key cog in the team. Why do you want someone who cant ball play, cant hit a hole , has ineffective kick returns , can't tackle and won't catch a bomb there? Beyond me. Oh wait, he shows flashes of good support play. There we have it.

Latest posts