What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh

Can a mod move this thread to the Super League section? Thoughts of Luke Walsh in a Panthers jersey make me physically sick.

Scotty03

Juniors
The bloke can't tackle to save his life.

Says a lot about the ESL is when Luke Walsh is the "in form" player of the comp. YIKES.

maple_69

Bench
He always had a great running game, he just never took on the line. His short kicking game was up there with the best. He had the attributes to be a pretty good NRL half but I think really suffered from not having a decent halves partner. He's not good enough to carry a team and that is what we required most of the time. Glad but not surprised he's doing well over there.

SaintsFan

Juniors
Anyone know how Mose is going over there?
He came to us injured after the world cup so he missed the first few games and has taken time to get going. No big hits, no big runs but he does take the ball forward in the tackle. He looks pretty tame really compared to his Penrith days (as I saw them last season anyway) or in the world cup. He has yet to play a game in which he has not knocked on. He's bloody annoying in that respect as invariably he does it when we least need it.

SaintsFan

Juniors
The bloke can't tackle to save his life.

Says a lot about the ESL is when Luke Walsh is the "in form" player of the comp. YIKES.
He's had no problems making tackles since being here.

I'm not sure that anyone said he was the 'in form' player in the comp. You'd need to look to Leeds for those players since they are carving up all before them pretty much. It's just that Walsh is providing what we were missing. We didn't need a running half, for instance, because our six if anything runs too much. But that hasn't stopped Walsh taking on the line sometimes, and to great effect when he has done. We needed a kicker and an organiser and so far he's been doing the business.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't know whether you remember or not the NSWRL changed the value of a drop kick from 3 points to 2 because Eric Simms was potting them like he was spitting out peas.

It was 2 points to 1. Simms kicked 5 of them in one game at Penrith in 1970, and I think we got a couple as well.

As soon as they dropped to 1 they became merely a tie breaker. Personally, I'd like to see the value of the field goal dropped again.

SaintsFan

Juniors
That's what you get with him if guys are taking on the line. He will go well
He's doing great, especially given that he's not been here long.

Just thought I'd add something to make people feel smug.

Over here we have a couple of weekly RL papers (as well as a couple of monthly mags). One of them, League Express, runs an annual comp called the Albert Goldthorpe medal for the player they consider to be the best over the season. Each week, match reporters give 3, 2 and 1 points to three players they think have had the best games in that particular match. They publish a leaderboard weekly. The leader at the end of the season is given an award at an event at a swanky hotel in the autumn.

I thought you would like to know that at present the Albert Goldthorpe leader board is headed up by Travis Burns and in second place is Luke Walsh.

:cool:

Pomoz

Bench
Sanits Fan, you still haven't told us what the chant is.

Burns and Walsh at the top? Burns? Is there another Travis Burns? It can't be the ex Penrith player, he truly was a journeyman. Hard as nails, but not a skilful player in any sense. Is he playing as a lock?

SaintsFan

Juniors
Sanits Fan, you still haven't told us what the chant is.
It's got his name in it, that's all I can say without singing it! And no, we don't think he's a wanker so that isn't it at all. Luke makes good things happen for our team. He got tackled a couple of times yesterday! ;-) (Scored a try, assisted in three, kicked 7 out of 9, but it was the next to bottom team so it was like an opposed training session for Saints)

Burns and Walsh at the top? Burns? Is there another Travis Burns? It can't be the ex Penrith player, he truly was a journeyman. Hard as nails, but not a skilful player in any sense. Is he playing as a lock?
I thought you'd enjoy that one. Yes, the same Travis Burns, ex Penrith player. He plays in the halves, six I think, for one of the Hull teams. Pairs up with another Aussie journeyman, Keating? Can't remember his first name. That particular team is an Aussie journeyman magnet.

mxlegend99

Referee
Walsh and Burns carving up the ESL says more for the quality of the players they are playing against then it does the quality of them. They were both fringe first grade quality in this competition.

mxlegend99

Referee
I was a fan too. Just not sure what position best suited him. He was a good player, tough and intimidating. But not really suited to the halves. I rated him as more effective then Walsh there, but still believe he would have been a better hooker or lock. If he was bigger he would have been a beast at lock or second row IMO. In our current team probably a good utility option. But not going to push any starters out, that's for sure.

soc123_au

Staff member
Burns was a great player. Poor bastard was just given the wrong body. Stick his heart into Tony Williams body & you would have a future immortal.

betcats

Referee
Yeah Burns was a champ, I hated before he came to us but once he was here he grew on me very quickly.

Good to hear Walsh is doing well but I much prefer our new halfback, he shits all over Walsh as an NRL player.

Latest posts