What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon quits Manly, signs with Titans

eozsmiles

Bench
Doesn't matter. I'm not a manly fan, I don't follow their rumours and I find it interesting. Also if it was Gallen offered a huge contract to break his deal with us and he asked for a release I would like to read about it rather then not know.

Lyon agreed to terms, and he went of early. He still may be right and I'm glad he shared the info with the public. Must suck having your captain want out.

Kinda matters. The Sloth gets the rough end, and he has earned it for past performance, but he was about the 5th journo to go public with this. If Gallen was 5th man in on a gangbang and was the only mention in a thread there would be a war.

We agree 100% anyway it seems on the important point. Big name, big rumour, gets published, end of story.

And yeah, they'd be spewing their captain wants the carrot.

Tommax25

Bench
Know idea if this is legit or not

I for one look forward to the post by Manly fans of how Lyon was never important to their premiership victories

Anyway, 4 year deal for a 30 year old? GC retirement home checking in.

Prepare for disappointment.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I cannot imagine Manly will let him go after they came out and denied it today. It would just make no sense.

Yep, great tweet El Duque. Great story Slothfield :lol::lol:News Ltd are about as accurate as a sundial in a cupboard.
You know you linked to a News ltd link to support your story about News ltd being inaccurate?

The Eagle

Juniors
Know idea if this is legit or not

I for one look forward to the post by Manly fans of how Lyon was never important to their premiership victories

Anyway, 4 year deal for a 30 year old? GC retirement home checking in.

What was it like watching your club win a premiership?

Oh nevermind,you dont even have one due to the greed of a certain faction within your club

I've had massive lolz at this thread,so much butthurt hit when Lyon + Manly came out with that press release

nrlnrl

First Grade
with quotes from Jamie Lyon, this one has credibility

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...titans-for-pushing-switch-20130118-2cyss.html

Lyon slams Titans for pushing switch
Date
January 19, 2013
Adrian Proszenko

JAMIE LYON intends to finish his career at Manly after knocking back a mammoth $3 million-plus deal to immediately join the Gold Coast.

The Titans are desperate to add a strike centre to their line-up after releasing Beau Champion and missing out on Michael Jennings, who signed with the Roosters on Tuesday. Gold Coast officials initially approached Lyon, off contract at the end of the year, about joining them in 2014. However, they fast-tracked their plans in the hope of snaring him immediately with a four-year offer, one of the biggest tabled in NRL history.

However, Lyon said his goal was to finish his career on the northern beaches and hit out at speculation that he wanted an immediate release or had agreed to the Titans' offer.

''I don't want to move at all,'' Lyon said. ''I just want to get the right story across from the start. I don't know why they're going on about this. I was always going to finish this year here and I've always wanted to stay long-term. The [Titans] rang up because they've lost Champion and are trying to find a centre, so they've come to us. At no stage were we going to go up there. We didn't ask for a release at all, it all got blown out of proportion.

''Originally they said they wanted me for '14 or '15, so we said 'no worries' and listened to them. And then they said 2013 - and that's no chance at all. The next minute they're saying that I've asked for a release. I didn't meet [Titans coach John] Cartwright, didn't do anything. It must have come from the Titans, they are obviously the ones pushing it. I've got this year and I want to stay here longer. Even though they are throwing big money, I want to be here.''

Social media sites went into meltdown on Friday as speculation raged about Lyon's intentions. The Manly co-captain met Sea Eagles officials to assure them there was no substance to the rumours and the club subsequently put out a press statement to placate concerned fans. The 30-year-old also addressed his teammates about the latest developments.

''I spoke to them all this morning before it all came out, so they knew what was going on,'' he said. ''I spoke to Jason King and told him all about it [afterwards]. I didn't think it would blow out of proportion like this.

''It probably affects [my family] more than me. Especially if people are picking up the paper down the street, it would leave a bad taste in their mouth even though they don't know what's going on. One of the big reasons I want to stay is we've got a good, strong team and they are really good mates of mine.''

The developments will add further spice to the round three fixture between Manly and the Gold Coast at Skilled Park on March 23. There is an estimated 230 players off contract at the end of the year, with many of the topliners holding off until there is greater certainty about the salary cap in future years. Lyon headlines a list which includes Jarryd Hayne, Mitchell Pearce, Robbie Farah, Todd Carney and Josh Reynolds.

However, the Titans raid could play in Manly's favour, with the 2011 premiers set to open contract extension talks soon. ''I think I've got three or four more years in me and I'm enjoying my footy here with my best mates. I'll stay as long as I can - as long as Manly will have me anyway,'' Lyon said.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Titans are a plastic franchise and they as a club go about business very poorly.

From stupid 5 years deals for Cartwright and Zillman to a roster that is basically a bunch of marquee forwards and not much else. They're all about chasing big names instead of substance.

Don't see them doing much over the next couple years.

Good on Lyon for sticking with a real club that knows how to conduct its business.

Loudstrat

Coach
I cannot imagine Manly will let him go after they came out and denied it today. It would just make no sense.

You know you linked to a News ltd link to support your story about News ltd being inaccurate?
Yes, but the SMH also ran that line (not the one quoted above).

Just shows how f*cked News Ltd are - running that story when their journo was twittering the opposite! :lol::lol:

Anyway, alls good. Lyon's back at Manly, a Queensland club looks to be run by complete f*ckwits, and Slothfield is back at Northies singing old Bing Crosby tunes into his schooner of Resches. Normality restored.

Yes, but the SMH also ran that line (not the one quoted above).

Just shows how f*cked News Ltd are - running that story when their journo was twittering the opposite! :lol::lol:

Anyway, alls good. Lyon's back at Manly, a Queensland club looks to be run by complete f*ckwits, and Slothfield is back at Northies singing old Bing Crosby tunes into his schooner of Resches. Normality restored.

Never belittle the good name of Reschs by mentioning it in the same post as Rothfield!

nomis88

Juniors
Dual premiership winning Jamie Lyon is a man of character and integrity. I could only ever see him leaving a club before his contract ends if he was at a crap club with a crap coach. That no longer is the case.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The real reason behind leaving Parramatta I believe was he wanted to follow Cleal that had discovered and nutured him and he felt the pressure to be the saviour of the club that was beginning to struggle. Didn't help they got a hiding round 1. He saw the writing on the wall and thought "I'll never win a premiership here". He should have stayed the year in 2003 and asked for a release, not played one game and left.

ethan tremblay

Juniors
The real reason behind leaving Parramatta I believe was he wanted to follow Cleal that had discovered and nutured him and he felt the pressure to be the saviour of the club that was beginning to struggle. Didn't help they got a hiding round 1. He saw the writing on the wall and thought "I'll never win a premiership here". He should have stayed the year in 2003 and asked for a release, not played one game and left.

he left because he's gf was pregnant and she lost the baby and parramatta wouldn't give him any time off so he packed he's bags and left end of story

Latest posts