What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon quits Manly, signs with Titans

eozsmiles

Bench
While I agree he is a f**kwit I do not think he has done anything wrong here by sharing the news that Lyon has agreed to a deal on the GC and has asked for a release.

Rothfield didn't break this "story" anyway. Other people, including journo's, were tweeting about it before it appeared on the DT site.

But anyway, if someone from the Titans or Lyon's management rings Slothfield and gives him a tip "off the record" then the Sloth has two choices - Write the story knowing there will be no way of proving it because nobody will go on the record and cop a pizzling from places like this, or leave it to the other paper to write. Judging by the reaction in this forum alone he can easily justify writing it.

well, it could be worse.

he could have reported about the death of a players girlfriend that never actually existed.

anyway, will be interesting to see how this plays out.

he's a great player.

firechild

First Grade
News from the club is no release was sought by Jamie and according to Jamie, he made no agreement, verbal or otherwise to join the Titans. Sounds like something concocted by the player manager or the Titans.

nrlnrl

First Grade
definitely staying for 2013

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/eagles/67394?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Statement regarding Jamie Lyon
Friday 18 January 2013 3:40 PM
In relation to speculation around Jamie Lyon and his current playing future with the Manly Sea Eagles, Steve Gigg, General Manager of Football, has confirmed Jamie is contracted until the end of season 2013 and he will not be seeking an early release. “Unbeknown to me, the Sea Eagles then my manager received an unexpected offer for me to join the Gold Coast team immediately. My loyalty and commitment to Manly remains uncompromised and I look forward to season 2013 with the Sea Eagles” says Jamie Lyon

big hit!

Bench
If this shit re GC offering Lyon the deal and inducing him to break contract for this season is true, then why aren't the NRL coming down like a tonne of bricks on the Titans.

It's bad enough that players are approached for future uncontracted seasons while still performing contracted services at another club. Sure, the NRL has specific circumstances in that players get better offers from other sports and leagues so any leniency to keep talent here is a given. Looks like shit though and all it does is give the perception that players are mercenaries.

But if there isn't a rule prohibiting a club to make an offer to a player for seasons which he is already contracted, then this league is a joke.

Rugby League. It's a great game but it's managed like your local lawn bowls club. Just imagine where this game would be now if anyone with competence daily walked through the doors at Moore Park.

Bigfella

Coach
While I agree he is a f**kwit I do not think he has done anything wrong here by sharing the news that Lyon has agreed to a deal on the GC and has asked for a release.

His tweet said "BREAKING: JAMIE LYON TO QUIT MANLY TODAY TO SIGN 4-YEAR DEAL WITH GOLD COAST TITANS". It then sent people to the Tele Website for the full story which said (or now says at least) something completely different.

Isn't that unethical by any standards of journalism or general trade or commerce?

mave

Coach
Is this thread title possibly a tad misleading, given the recent developments?

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Sloth must feel like a real tool, constantly breaking news then it's way off the mark!

Diesel

Referee
Was there any truth to the rumour on one of the earlier pages about there being a salary cap breach to be announced?

mave

Coach
Was there any truth to the rumour on one of the earlier pages about there being a salary cap breach to be announced?

Oh yeah, Manly are up the creek. The Tits trying to poach Lyon was Manly way of getting out of rorting the cap for years.

Garts

Bench
How dumb is the Titans CEO for talking up a potential star centre signing on the club forum and twitter before the deals is done. Yes Lyon might have agreed to terms but he is still signed to Manly and is our best player and captain. Did he think we would just say sure have him for 2013. He should have kept his mouth shut and tried to get the release behind closed doors. Very amateurish.

Latest posts