What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M Witt to be Released

MrT

Juniors
Finch wasn't a better player than Witt when he was at canberra.
It's amazing what a good team around you and good coaching does

Utey

Coach
If Witt had a set of descent forwards he might have gone better. But he still lacks organisational skills.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
stuke said:
what a great retention policy we must have. :shock:
blood a young bloke behind a team sadly out of form....sign him to a 4 year contract, virtually saying you are the future of the club.....leave him in premier league for half a season and then when recalled to first grade mix him between half and five-eight.... then release him with 3 years of his contract to go as he can't direct the team as he should.
what a way to destroy young players!!

yes see because this club is very very good at that. Stuke you summed up my thoughts very well. i am lazy and good at cutting and pasteing so i thought i'd just add a harty YEA!! :evil: at the end of yours
MrT said:
I've read a whole lot of stuff hear and I'll just say this.
We haven't got the coaching staff to take Witt to the next level.
Stop blaming Witt, the way he was treated I'm surprised he'd even want to play for Parra at all. I think he would make a great 5/8, he's big and strong and has a good pass and kicking game
again... YEA!!!

Eelementary said:
Yeah mate, but how many people actually thought that Tonga would be a loss?

ME!! and anyone else who rocked up before firstgrade and who watched him week in week out

and one last thing. Don't anyone dare knock ParraMatts passion for his favourite player. Its gut wrenching to find out that someone you spend so much time praising and supporting is leaving. Just like matt, my favourite player left during the offseason i turned 18, so ive never been able to have a drink with him ;-) :evil: its annoying!!

but seriously, i, like matt, will miss witty like crazy if he leaves, and while i will not blame him for not wanting to waste his best years at a club that screws everyone else around, i will again be frustrated to watch another parra boy who we have plucked fromnowhere, moulded into a fine young player of the future use all that faith and talent to take another club to success.

NOT

HAPPY

BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
JessEel said:
Eelementary said:

ME!! and anyone else who rocked up before firstgrade and who watched him week in week out

and one last thing. Don't anyone dare knock ParraMatts passion for his favourite player. Its gut wrenching to find out that someone you spend so much time praising and supporting is leaving. Just like matt, my favourite player left during the offseason i turned 18, so ive never been able to have a drink with him ;-) :evil: its annoying!!

but seriously, i, like matt, will miss witty like crazy if he leaves, and while i will not blame him for not wanting to waste his best years at a club that screws everyone else around, i will again be frustrated to watch another parra boy who we have plucked fromnowhere, moulded into a fine young player of the future use all that faith and talent to take another club to success.

NOT

HAPPY

BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough Jess. Don't get me wrong - I thought he had talent by the truckloads.

But behind consistently solid performers like Lyon and Vaealiki, he wasn't going to get a fair go at centre here.

And be honest now - eould you rather have Lyon and Vaealiki as your centres pairing (Internationals and solid performers) or a young Tonga who last year didn't show he had very good defence?

bartman

Immortal
At least with Tonga you could look at two internationals in front of him, and see why he may not have gotten a go, and the club didn't push him out or end his contract. But with this Witt situation, who would/should be picked in front of him?

Assuming PJ will wear the 14 from the bench and Morris at 6, we don't actually have a halfback of higher quality than Witt! (Tim Smith may prove better than Witt one day, but that day shouldn't/won't be Round 1 '05.)

Parra should not release/retrench a player from a contract without good reason - the conditions should be only if the guy has asked for a release, and we have made arrangements to replace him.

ParraMatt

Bench
JessEel said:
stuke said:
what a great retention policy we must have. :shock:
blood a young bloke behind a team sadly out of form....sign him to a 4 year contract, virtually saying you are the future of the club.....leave him in premier league for half a season and then when recalled to first grade mix him between half and five-eight.... then release him with 3 years of his contract to go as he can't direct the team as he should.
what a way to destroy young players!!

yes see because this club is very very good at that. Stuke you summed up my thoughts very well. i am lazy and good at cutting and pasteing so i thought i'd just add a harty YEA!! :evil: at the end of yours
MrT said:
I've read a whole lot of stuff hear and I'll just say this.
We haven't got the coaching staff to take Witt to the next level.
Stop blaming Witt, the way he was treated I'm surprised he'd even want to play for Parra at all. I think he would make a great 5/8, he's big and strong and has a good pass and kicking game
again... YEA!!!

Eelementary said:

NOT

HAPPY

BRIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks JessEel, I appreciate your words, About time someone stood up for Witty and Myself. He is my favourite player, And even if he leaves the club I will still support him, I am beginning to really hate Smithy now, What is the go with releasing players off their contract.

I've still got a funny feeling though that he will stay. Just gut.

bartman said:
Parra should not release/retrench a player from a contract without good reason - the conditions should be only if the guy has asked for a release, and we have made arrangements to replace him.

I disagree. If we signed Witt for four years, we should keep him for four years, and he should be willing to stay for four years. End of debate.

Now these incidents may have slipped past me, but have we, prior to this year, had previous incidents of bailing out on contracts (from either side) without fully honouring them? Armits, Vaealiki, Lyon, Cleal, Witt etc - I don't think bailing on contracts is the Parramatta way (or a good way to run things generally)

Stagger eel

Staff member
no one's definetly questioning your passion and desire to see him stay and in fact most of us would like to see Michael stay including myself, but we're not going to be slashing our wrists over it.

If Witty wanted to prove a point he would of lead that premier league side early in the year like it was his own child, but the fact was he was either frustrated or didn't want to be there, a classic example was when he was sitting on the bench against St George at Kograh, the Hillgirls and I were there and noticed Michael's behaviour was very animated like he he didn't want to be there.

Then there was open training session, and I'm standing there with my neice and he was being very polite to everyone and giving them all the time in the world until someone asked him why arn't you playing first grade? and gave this bloke a bit of a deathstare and simply ignored him. To add to that, constant rumours that he wanted out didin't help as well.

At this stage there isn't a player in the club who should call Sterlo's jumper his own, in fact there's been a for lease sign on it for a number of seasons I honestly don't know whether Witty is the answer, but what I do know his his going to have to work harder than ever to claim it and that will test the character of the man. will he say bugger it, this jersey is mine and I'm going to work harder than ever to keep it or seems as though the kitchen is too hot in here I'd rather go for a more simpler challenge.

That's exactly how I read it.

Utey

Coach
Maybe Witt wants out. I highly doubt his being forced, if this rumour is true iam sure he has another offer on the table and is trying to get out of Parramatta. If he was forced I would be very pissed off but no time this year he showed any dominance. I really hope he does suceed as a player but Parra might not be the place where he does that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Maybe Witt wants out. I highly doubt his being forced, if this rumour is true iam sure he has another offer on the table and is trying to get out of Parramatta. If he was forced I would be very pissed off but no time this year he showed any dominance. I really hope he does suceed as a player but Parra might not be the place where he does that.

damnstraight!

I believe he does want out, and I think a number of factors have to come to the play if it's to happen.

1] Leulai signing.

2] pay out figure to the Warriors.

3] Witt, finding a club [we he may already have]

4] pay out figure for Witt in agreemants with his new club.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong but reading between the lines the above scenerio looks a real possability.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
thats sad though if another parra players actualy wants out of the club... if he does leave then something has to be looked at #-o

Eelementary

Post Whore
Look, I like Witt too.

He hasn't performed well though. For whatever the reason (chopping and changing of the team, lame forward pack etc.).

But to me they're not excuses. I think our forwards stood up against Penrith both games, but I don't think Witt performed.

On countless occassions we've had the ball 5m out on the last, the ball goes to Witt and instead of getting a repeat set of six, he chips it or bombs it for his winger - those plays are fine, but they have a 50/50 chance of working. I believe if you're that close to the line, you deserve a better reward than just a 50/50 chance that you'll score.

He has talent, he has passion. But I think he lacks the instinct and feel for a halfback.

I hope he provesme wrong.

wittyz chick

Coach
ParraMatt said:
Jake the snake said:
Sorry guys i disagree Witt has not got the game to take us to the next level, Other champion halfs have also said this about him. he just has not got the game. Tonga was a loss, Witt wont be just like his brow.

He does have the game to take us to the next level, If the forward lift, He will lift and we will have a very talented football team, We have allready seen his skillful kicking game, Now all we need is his attacking skills to enlighten and they will with a forward pack with a bit of grunt in them to go forward. With Morrison I think we have that.

You can't seriously think if Witt isn't the answer then Smith is, That is just ridiculous. Tim Smith has nothing over Michael Witt, Yeh maybe Smith looks good in Reserve Grade, But so did Witt 2 years ago, First Grade is a new level, And a level that Tim Smith can't handle and a level that Michael Witt has allready excelled in and will continue to excell with a good quality forward pack around him, How do you think Jason Taylor had such a good year, Because the players around him played sensational.

Look at it from my point of view, And don't just think I am protecting Witt because he is my favourite player, Because I'll be honest, I think he is an excellent half-back, A half-back with a big future and I thought the same about Tonga in the Centres when he played a few games in first grade before heading to the dogs, I don't want to see Witt end up like this and head to someone like South Sydney or Manly and be a star. I would bit my teeth in anger and literally hunt Smith and Fitzgerald down.

Witt has class whether you like it or not, He can utilize this as I will say again, With a strong forward pack, We are looking to show that with the signings for next year with 4 strong forward signings in Riddell, Morrison, Robinson and Stringer, to add to the all ready Cayless, Hindmarsh, Wagon and Cannings. With Witt working heavily in the offseason with each and every forward individually and hard at work with his new number 6 John Morris WE CAN produce a lethal combination, Have faith in our first grade team from this year, Yes we had a bad year, But we CAN turn it around and that young Number 7 who has had a rough start to his career can change the fortunes at this club and bring glory back to us.

Someone agree with me please.

2005 First Grade

7. Witt

2005 Premier League

7. Smith

:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm with you Matt on this I agree on everything you say

peoples Witt has not been given a fair go which has been stated practically a million times...when he is given a fair go (next yr) he will excel and Witt will show his true ability

What about if the problem is with Witt just say "Discipline problem".

And on top of these Discpline probs he is average. Compare Mathew Head and Joe Williams, now they have got what it takes to go all the way and the when u compare there game to Witts game he does not even rate. Just because he is your FAVOURITE player doesn't mean he has to be in the side, the players must have what it takes. I don't want to finish 3rd or 4th in the season and be happy I want the Premiership and to get the Premiership you need TALENTED players not your average Joe Bloes who we had signed in the last couple of years.

If we perserve with the average players you will get results like we have in the last few years, Im not happy with what we've been served up and I actually commend Smith for getting rid of some the average players so far.

As well as Witt I personally would not renew the following contracts:

Wagon
Vella
Muckert
Burt
Graham

There games are full of mistakes in critical parts of matches they are the weak links.

Don't let favourtism of the players get in the way of judging the way a player play. Otherwise you will end up like Brian Smith always picking his nephew wagon 1st all the time.

Talking of Burt, i just watched the replay of the 2001GF and he played a great game didn't he :roll: :roll: :roll:

Crap players all ways get found out 98,99,2001,02,03,04.....

strider

Post Whore
Don't know if this has already been said...but I was listening to 2GB on the way home from cricket and there was a guy on (don't know his name - but he calls games alot - not Ray thank god - I would have turned it off had he been on), with Blocker.

They were discussing player movements for next year....Witty's name was brought up...and the guy said to Blocker, maybe u can tell us something about where he might be going....and Blocker seemed cagey - and just went - mmmm, maybe somewhere with a bird mascot.....and the other guy said yeah, Manly.

Now I don't know if Blocker is a reliable source or just a gibberer....but maybe there is something to it cos Blocker is on the Manly training staff.

So - will Witty become another of the discards who go to Manly and accomplish nothing there? :?