What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mad footy fans

The Macarthur Chronicle has been running a series of stories on mad footy fans. They make for a good read. Check out the one below and click on the link below to see the rest of them.

If you know any similar sporting nuts from the Macarthur region, pm and I'll try to get in touch.

http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2007/07/10/3179_sports.html

Parramatta Eels fan Jennifer Jones, 34, of Macquarie Fields, found inspiration in her footy when she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I'VE loved the Parramatta Eels since the 80s when I developed a huge crush on Peter Sterling. I had an I Love Peter Sterling shirt made for myself when I turned 14. I used to wear it everywhere. I've actually met him a few times. Whenever I see him, I ask: Peter, when are you going to marry me? He and my husband find it funny but I'm serious.

The first Parramatta game I went to Peter Sterling came close to the fence where I was sitting. I was so happy I jumped up and down until I accidentally slammed my hand on the fence, cutting it open. It bled all over the place but I refused to leave until the game ended. Later that night I got five stitches.

I've been sick the last three years with breast cancer and I'm only just beginning to get better now. It's been a hard period but what's held me up is my footy and my kids. I haven't been able to get to Parra games often because I need to be careful with myself but I watch every game on Fox. I sit near the heater on my blue and yellow lounge.

My house is full of Parramatta gear. The walls of the house are blue with yellow stripes, and are covered with posters, framed photos and jerseys. I have Parra lounge, chairs and bean bag, and a Parramatta lead, collar and frisbee for my dog. My car has a Parramatta theme, and when my son was younger I used to dress me and him in Parra gear everywhere we went. My husband isn't a footy fan but he puts up with me.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Let me guess, she has blue and gold electricity instead of green? :roll:

And a blue and gold kitchen sink? :sleeper:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not, but the cancer stuff aside, that's a little over the top. The way it goes on almost sounds fabricated (the leash, frisbee, bean bag, lounges etc)

Dodger said:
I'm not, but the cancer stuff aside, that's a little over the top. The way it goes on almost sounds fabricated (the leash, frisbee, bean bag, lounges etc)

It's not fabricated and the Bulldogs fans are equally passionate. Maybe there's something in the water out here. There's a few of them on this page:

Bradbury's Steve Johnston, 35, is a fanatical supporter of the Canterbury Bulldogs just ask his kids.

WHEN my twin daughters were born I dressed them in Bulldogs jumpsuits the moment they left hospital. I took them to their first football game when they were 11 weeks old. My wife supports the Dragons but I tell my girls it's the Bulldogs or Barnardos.

I have more than 160 Bulldogs' games on video, which I watch religiously. I've taped every single game since 1997 but the ones I watch most are the grand finals in 1980, 1984, and 1985. I must have watched them 30 times each, I never get sick of it.

The controversy surrounding the Bulldogs bothers me because when the club or players act up, the fans cop it too. Other footy fans might have a joke and call us salary cap cheats or worse things but the club has a proud history. I wear my jersey with pride whether we win or lose.

I'm in a footy tipping competition and I never tip against the Bulldogs. They might not be doing so well this season but as a fan I know I've got to be strong. Personally, I like to sleep at night so I have to pick my team every week.

My wife and I frame jerseys and sell sports memorabilia for a living at a family business called Grubs and Guernseys. I don't mind framing jerseys of other teams because only a Bulldogs jerseys will get hung up on my wall. At one point, I had every Bulldogs jersey since 1980.

The Preacher

First Grade
Macarthur Chronicle said:
LOL. Imagine how heart breaking it would be to lose a kid to another team though, you have to lay down the law :cool:

It's easy really. My son said he didn't want to barrack for the Dragons anymore, and i just said "that's fine, I'll even help you pack".

:lol:

My house is Footy mad.

My missus follows Penrith but wants to boof Hodgo, I have one Parramatta supporting son who has a Parra tatt, jerseys etc, I have one Tigers supporting son (the favourite son;-)) and one son who doesn't follow the Footy.

The nice person.

The Preacher

First Grade
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
:lol:

My house is Footy mad.

My missus follows Penrith but wants to boof Hodgo, I have one Parramatta supporting son who has a Parra tatt, jerseys etc, I have one Tigers supporting son (the favourite son;-)) and one son who doesn't follow the Footy.

The nice person.

:lol: !!!

m0j0

Bench
I tried to convince my kids that they were Roosters supporters but when they reached an age when they could think for themselves, they decided the heartbreak and disappointment was too much and chose their own teams to support. Now, in my house, there's me, my wife who's a Balmain fan from way back, my eldest who supports the Storm, my second son who supports the Dragons and my youngest who's not quite three so I've still got time to brainwash him.

Knightmare

Coach
i don't know if I could make my kids go for Newcastle. I think I'd just leave it up to them and then pray at night that they wouldn't be swayed to cheering for Brisbane, Manly or Easts or coming out of the closet to my wife and I one day and saying "Mum, Dad........I'm a Swans fan. I've known it for a while now."

Knightmare said:
i don't know if I could make my kids go for Newcastle. I think I'd just leave it up to them and then pray at night that they wouldn't be swayed to cheering for Brisbane, Manly or Easts or coming out of the closet to my wife and I one day and saying "Mum, Dad........I'm a Swans fan. I've known it for a while now."

Ditto.

I could handle the non-Footballing son telling me he loves chowing down on the odd beef bayonet but if he ever says "I love the Swans", he's out of the house and the will.

This lady reminded me a bit of my mum when I was younger.

My daughters Cheyenne, 4, and Rhiannon, 13, love the Tigers too. I've got a jersey with the signature of every player except Paul Whatuira. When I see a player I give my daughter the jersey and say ``there's Benji or Hodgo, now go get their signature. Mum's getting a bit too old to chase around after footy players''.