What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 13

abpanther

Staff member
Lost to Detroit this morning 20-17

The thing that really pisses me off is how the CPU pulls out so many bullshit fumbles, my RB has a carry rating of 96 and yet he seems to fumble at least once a game when the CPU needs it most.

I was up 17-13 with 2mins to go, I missed a 40+yd FG. They had the ball on halfway and it was 3rd and 10, they then throw a bomb to Megatron and score with 50 secs to go. I watched the replay, he caught it just before the pylon but his foot was half out when he caught it, however they wouldn't let me review it, really pissed me off.

I tried to drive down the field for the game tying FG but was picked off at their 40yd line with 10 secs to go. It really is amazing how high their MLB can jump when you're throwing a deep post to your slot WR.

Anyhoo, like you guys I like it to be tough, just frustrating sometimes. I'm 3-1 now in my 3rd season.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I don't have any specific tips for passing, stick, slants and curls as mentioned already. If you see an opportunity to go deep send 2 guys so the safety needs to pick one, leaving one free to lead into the open. I mostly react to what i think the defence is doing with hot routes and audibles, that's where most of my big plays come from, having a speed guy like Wallace helps.

I have a problem with fumbles too, when I look at the stats I have about double the rest of the league. Any big square on shot results in a fumble, having said that I always neglect to protect the ball when I see a big shot coming, maybe that will help.

abpanther

Staff member
I try to protect the ball after I make a catch in the middle of the field, it seems any time your WR gets hit in the middle of the field after catching the ball he drops it, what's worse is when they pick it off after he drops it

zombie jesus

Staff member
I've noticed WR drops, they are supposed to be getting addressed in the update, see how it goes.

If anyone has advice on running the ball it would be helpful.

abpanther

Staff member
I was doing really well running the ball last season, struggling this time around.

I find though that I have much more success when I change the play at the line and motion guys around (e.g. TE/FB). When I run the play as it is I don't get much, if I motion the TE/FB to the opposite side and flip where the RB is running it tends to work better. I also find pinching the line for inside runs and directing the line to block in the direction you are running for tosses/sweeps helps.

Also makes a big difference having a good FB with high awareness, otherwise you get the shits because your FB runs right past the free LB and then you get smashed

abpanther

Staff member
I also find if I motion a WR across the field and then i hut the ball as he's passing the C/G he then comes in and helps block, that helps sometimes

Big Tim

First Grade
My House rules: (dont think you guys will like these based on the discussion going on now, but here they are)

Offense:

Ask Madden offense. Must select one of the 3 plays listed.
No Four Verticals.... ever.
No Curl Flats on 3rd Down
No motion on running plays (unless it is in the play design)
1 Hot route only.
Audibles can only be quick pass, run, play action. Deep pass possible if it isnt four verticals. No "more" audibles.
Run plays can be flipped, but only once. If the D reacts to a flipped run, an audible is the only way out.

Defense:
No swapping. eg. I user the FS. I do not swap him at all.
Game flow Defense selecting only from the 3 D styles.

When I play the CPU, the AI has to make plays against me. It is hard to get a challenging game if I user all the D to make the "correct" play. This is key, it really balances the game well. It means my team mates AI have to make plays aswell.

I use Playmakers sliders:
http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com...aymakers-Madden-13-(All-Madden-Level)-Sliders

I play 15 min quarters, with 15 sec accl clock.

I get good games. Sometimes I blow them out, others I cant get anything going, but most come down to a 1-2 score game where I need to play smart, or use a surprise 2nd down blitz to slow the CPU's drives.

Anyway, thats how i play, and I dont expect other to agree, or even like my style. But it works for me.

I use the Skins and i shouldnt be going 16-0 with half my squad in the Pro-Bowl and breaking team and NFL records.

abpanther

Staff member
Thanks for that Tim.

Firstly, I never use the gameflow, I always pick whatever play I like, I figure it would get pretty boring otherwise and I like to dig deep into the playbook and try different things.

Four verticals we've discussed, although I don't think it's as cheese as you think, I've been picked off a few times by the MLB blocking the inside lane, it's not automatic. The curl flats aren't really that effective I find, seems the CB generally re-roues or gets in the way of the outside WR allowing time for the LB to come across, you can make the play but it's not any easier than any other play IMO.

I flip plays and motion guys on running downs, it helps sometimes but other times makes no difference.

On defense, I always user the MLB, however I do sometimes change on deep throws to help break up the pass or make the INT.

15min quarters with 15 sec acc. clock, how long do your games go for? I play 7min quarters with 20sec acc. clock and I find my games go for 50mins or so.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I'll give these house rules and sliders a run, it's not too far off how I play most of the time.

Big Tim

First Grade
Thanks for that Tim.

Firstly, I never use the gameflow, I always pick whatever play I like, I figure it would get pretty boring otherwise and I like to dig deep into the playbook and try different things.

Four verticals we've discussed, although I don't think it's as cheese as you think, I've been picked off a few times by the MLB blocking the inside lane, it's not automatic. The curl flats aren't really that effective I find, seems the CB generally re-roues or gets in the way of the outside WR allowing time for the LB to come across, you can make the play but it's not any easier than any other play IMO.

I flip plays and motion guys on running downs, it helps sometimes but other times makes no difference.

On defense, I always user the MLB, however I do sometimes change on deep throws to help break up the pass or make the INT.

15min quarters with 15 sec acc. clock, how long do your games go for? I play 7min quarters with 20sec acc. clock and I find my games go for 50mins or so.

I knew they wouldnt suit everyone, but I get alot out of it.

TBH, the key one is on the D side. No swapping. It makes the game feel alot more sim, and you cant abuse the ballhawk mechanic. I dont think usering the MLB would be as effective in a no swap D as usering a safety though.

The only reason I dont use motion on running plays is because it is too easy to unbalance the D line. To me, that feels like cheese.

Eg I run a slash over the RG, but the Safety comes down to the box and shades the inside of the slot receiver. Effectively clogging up the hole the run is intended to go in. If I flip it, I then have my RB running on the weak side, without the TE to assist, but I am not running into an overloaded line, so I still have a chance at making a 4-5 yard gain if my blocking holds up.

If I motion the slot receiver, the D line flips, The safety goes back to the middle, the LB's realign and the weak side safety comes into the box. I now have less defenders to run against, and more blockers. I just feel that I have manipulated the game to give me an easy run, and I already hold the advantage over the CPU as it is.

As I said, it is personal preference, and it is up to the individual to play the way that best suits them. I am for sim like stats, so I will run "bad" running plays because they help balance the stats, and also make my PA significant.

Big Tim

First Grade
Oh, and about the game length, it takes about 70-80 minutes per game.

Because of the sliders, and my house rules the AI actually gets a fairly decent run game going (others just pulverise me) so there is plenty of clock run-off with both of us keeping the clock rolling and not throwing 60-70 times a game.

I also dont sprint to the line, so you get about 6-8 secs on the play clock to read the D, make the hot route or audible if needed and snap the ball at the 2-5 second mark, like most NFL QB's.

abpanther

Staff member
Well at this stage 90% of my passing is our of playaction, my rookie QB has a playaction rating of 90, it seems to help hold up the LBs.

I get what you're saying about shifting the Dline on running plays, I figure at this stage I'm having a hard time running the ball so I don't see the issue using this stuff, if I find it's getting too easy then I will probably instigate these rules.

I think you tinker with stuff as you develop your game.

With the ballhawk feature, I agree that it's easier to make INTs now then it ever has been, that feature is pretty good

one tree hill

Juniors
I've never had a problem with receivers fumbling. I guess the best solution to this problem is prevention. Just don't throw it to receivers who are going to get killed as soon as they catch it unless you absolutely have to.

one tree hill

Juniors
My House rules: (dont think you guys will like these based on the discussion going on now, but here they are)

Offense:

Ask Madden offense. Must select one of the 3 plays listed.
No Four Verticals.... ever.
No Curl Flats on 3rd Down
No motion on running plays (unless it is in the play design)
1 Hot route only.
Audibles can only be quick pass, run, play action. Deep pass possible if it isnt four verticals. No "more" audibles.
Run plays can be flipped, but only once. If the D reacts to a flipped run, an audible is the only way out.

Defense:
No swapping. eg. I user the FS. I do not swap him at all.
Game flow Defense selecting only from the 3 D styles.

When I play the CPU, the AI has to make plays against me. It is hard to get a challenging game if I user all the D to make the "correct" play. This is key, it really balances the game well. It means my team mates AI have to make plays aswell.

I use Playmakers sliders:
http://www.virtualsportsnetwork.com...aymakers-Madden-13-(All-Madden-Level)-Sliders

I play 15 min quarters, with 15 sec accl clock.

I get good games. Sometimes I blow them out, others I cant get anything going, but most come down to a 1-2 score game where I need to play smart, or use a surprise 2nd down blitz to slow the CPU's drives.

Anyway, thats how i play, and I dont expect other to agree, or even like my style. But it works for me.

I use the Skins and i shouldnt be going 16-0 with half my squad in the Pro-Bowl and breaking team and NFL records.
15 minute quarters? f**k that, i couldn't sit there for an hour and a half straight playing the one game.

Big Tim

First Grade
15 minute quarters? f**k that, i couldn't sit there for an hour and a half straight playing the one game.

You want a sports sim to play sim? You gotta play sim.

15 min quarters on the Gridiron, 12 minute quarters on the court, 15 minute periods on the ice.

I get sick of people complaining about "sim stats" and then finding out they play on All-Pro, with 8 min quarters...... how would you expect to get sim stats with un-sim conditions?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Cause i am 40 now and don't have as much time as I would like nor the desire to play that way. Years ago I only ever did it on all madden, but these days I am more than happy with all pro, use only game flow no matter how silly the call is, with CPU adjustments turned on which does seem to bring it up to an all madden level (did prefer when it showed you the levels it had adjusted too though). Might throw it on all madden with CPU adjustments to see how I go.

Latest posts