What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 13

abpanther

Staff member
I hate saying this, but curl flats is money, and so is stick.

Curl flat works amazing against cover 2 and cover 3. The TE runs the flat, with a hook at the end, and the Z receiver runs a 7-9yd curl.

In a cover 2 the CB covers the flat, and the LB doesnt get wide enough to cover the curl. Easy completion to the Z receiver as the safety, LB and CB dont react until the ball is just about caught.

If they are playing man, you need to read it quickly and throw a medium trajectory ball to the outside shoulder of the TE. The LB that covers him will be 2-5 steps behind, and 3-4 yards deep. The Z receiver will run the CB down the field clearing the under route.

Stick works in much the same way.

TE is open for days if he curls, and if they run a cover 2, the slant from the X receiver will be wide open between the LB's but in front of the safety help.

In man, it isnt quite so money, but as long as your X receiver gets the inside release the quick slant is there.

..... I feel dirty.

Thanks heaps man.

Just had a look at curl flats on youtube and it seems pretty straight forward, I have Hernandez at TE with plenty of speed so if it's man he should be able to make some yards.

Whats the stick play? Couldn't find it on youtube. Is it the TE running a 7-9 yard curl and the WR running a deep post?

I played my mate last night and smashed him 45-8. His user skills on defense are not very good, he uses the MLB so I just kept sending traffic his way and pulling him out of position. Every time I sent a TE on a slant he would follow him along with his other OLB that actually had the coverage responsibility. I would then send my RB on a go route up the middle and he was wide open.

I also used the Carolina playbook and it was pretty good, made a nice 30 yard QB run on a designed fake hand off. Also threw in some triple options and general option plays. It really is a nice play book.

Still struggling though against the CPU though, lost 23-20 to the Steelers in OT, still struggling to consistently move the ball down the field, although I am having some success going 4WRs with my speed guys in the slots and then having them run crossing routes across the middle of the field.

Also, on defense how do you change an individual players coverage assignment? Obviously you highlight them but then what? I want to be able to change them to blue/yellow/purple zones, etc

Big Tim

First Grade
Stick is a 3WR or 4WR set.

In the 3WR set you have the TE, in a 4WR set you have a split WR on the strong side.

The weak side receiver runs a slant, so that is available if it is man and none of the other receivers get seperation.

The Z receiver runs a Streak, accounting for the safety, and sometimes making the CB drop deeper and opening unders routes.

The Slot receiver runs a 5yard out, and the TE runs a 4yard curl option. If it is zone, he will curl, if it is man he will run the out.

Basically the same situation as the curl flat. The TE is the primary. Zone is a relatively easy completion, though he can get hit at the point of the catch, and in man he generally gets a step on the coverage. Only thing to be careful is leading him on the out, as the DB covering the slot can, and will make a play on the ball if you lead him.

On defense you highlight individual players and press X. Then you can change zones, blitz, man and spy.

abpanther

Staff member
Stick is a 3WR or 4WR set.

In the 3WR set you have the TE, in a 4WR set you have a split WR on the strong side.

The weak side receiver runs a slant, so that is available if it is man and none of the other receivers get seperation.

The Z receiver runs a Streak, accounting for the safety, and sometimes making the CB drop deeper and opening unders routes.

The Slot receiver runs a 5yard out, and the TE runs a 4yard curl option. If it is zone, he will curl, if it is man he will run the out.

Basically the same situation as the curl flat. The TE is the primary. Zone is a relatively easy completion, though he can get hit at the point of the catch, and in man he generally gets a step on the coverage. Only thing to be careful is leading him on the out, as the DB covering the slot can, and will make a play on the ball if you lead him.

On defense you highlight individual players and press X. Then you can change zones, blitz, man and spy.

Good stuff, thanks man

abpanther

Staff member
I hate saying this, but curl flats is money, and so is stick.

Curl flat works amazing against cover 2 and cover 3. The TE runs the flat, with a hook at the end, and the Z receiver runs a 7-9yd curl.

In a cover 2 the CB covers the flat, and the LB doesnt get wide enough to cover the curl. Easy completion to the Z receiver as the safety, LB and CB dont react until the ball is just about caught.

If they are playing man, you need to read it quickly and throw a medium trajectory ball to the outside shoulder of the TE. The LB that covers him will be 2-5 steps behind, and 3-4 yards deep. The Z receiver will run the CB down the field clearing the under route.

Stick works in much the same way.

TE is open for days if he curls, and if they run a cover 2, the slant from the X receiver will be wide open between the LB's but in front of the safety help.

In man, it isnt quite so money, but as long as your X receiver gets the inside release the quick slant is there.

..... I feel dirty.

Okay so I've trialled some of this stuff, thanks for the info to start with.

With the curl flats, yes it works pretty well. It is hard sometimes to tell when it's man or cover 2 as initially for botch schemes the corners stays with the WR initially and the LB slides with the TE, I made the mistake of throwing to the TE thinking it was man only to find the CB was sitting in his cover 2 zone. I try to watch the CB to see if he turns and runs or sits in a zone, either way it is pretty hard to hit the TE and make much yardage.

With the stick play, I can't find it anywhere, is that in gun or single back? I've tried to mimick it by going to 3 WRs, setting the weakside WR to a slant, Z receiver on a go route and slot guy on a 5 yard square out, works ok.

One thing I've found that works is go 4WR, and use four verticals. The outside guys account for the safeties, wait till the slot guy passes the CB/LB (if it's zone) and then throw it and lead them to the middle of the field, as soon as you throw it take control of the receiver and user catch it, works well for me.

Still searching for some consistent plays, I find the best plays are PA passes to my TE, especially with both WRs on the opposite side.

Big Tim

First Grade
:fist::fist::fist:

Cant believe I forget Four Verticals..... that is so cheese. I use it sometimes when I play MUT and the CPU cheese's me. You should try it with Vernon Davis at TE..... it is so unfair.

Anywho, Stick may not be in your playbook. I use Shanny's book, and play West Coast style, so there are a few variations of stick. Either way, it doesnt really work as well now anyway.

unconfirmed reports that they ninja-buffed pass defense with the last roster update. I did notice zones were tighter, and the flat CB actually defended the curl route and shaded the flat in the before mentioned Curl Flat play.... I thought it was my new sliders, but OS are reporting that short pass zones are "tighter".

abpanther

Staff member
:fist::fist::fist:

Cant believe I forget Four Verticals..... that is so cheese. I use it sometimes when I play MUT and the CPU cheese's me. You should try it with Vernon Davis at TE..... it is so unfair.

Anywho, Stick may not be in your playbook. I use Shanny's book, and play West Coast style, so there are a few variations of stick. Either way, it doesnt really work as well now anyway.

unconfirmed reports that they ninja-buffed pass defense with the last roster update. I did notice zones were tighter, and the flat CB actually defended the curl route and shaded the flat in the before mentioned Curl Flat play.... I thought it was my new sliders, but OS are reporting that short pass zones are "tighter".

When you say cheese, do you mean it's cheating? I don't think user catching is cheating, I figure it's the same as user picks. I haven't tried it yet with Aaron Hernandez and he's pretty sick, I'll give it a go.

Yeah I'm definitely finding it tough, if anything with curl flats I prefer if it's man and just wait for my WR to hit his curl and throw it low to him, he generally gets it and a few times he gets hit and spins out of it and I run for daylight for a TD.

abpanther

Staff member
really need to buy this game soon
maybe next pay

Yeah get it man, I'm usually like you and hold off for a while, I got it and haven't regretted it, best Madden I've played in a while, really enjoying the CCM format

abpanther

Staff member
I've been looking online to try and find definitions of each trait that you can upgrade when you manually progress players, has anyone found anything?

Just wondering what impacts increasing stuff like toughness, ball carrier vision (when you're controlling him), impact blocking, etc actually achieves

abpanther

Staff member
There is one annoying thing that I've found with CCM.

Firstly, once you set your coaches scheme for offense and defense, that's it, you can't change it again. Also, once you pick your playbooks it's set for every game. The only way to change your playbook is to literally change it at the match up screen before every game.

Also, when playing a human player, you can't take off that stupid Gameflow option and set it to Conventional, I don't know why as you can do it against the CPU. Stupid that you can't change it in CCM to take it off all together

zombie jesus

Staff member
The changing schemes thing and gameflow problem will be fixed in the update next week I believe. Check out the link Tim posted earlier to confirm.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Yeah, update has me in a circling pattern. Just Simmed to year 4 of a Bills Franchise, and will start playing that until next week.

I dont think cheesing is cheating, many will disagree though. I consider it glitching, which falls in the category of personal morality.

4 Verticals is a guaranteed large completion against any Cover 2, Cover 3 and even Cover 4 defense. You can user 1 safety, but you cant cover all the routes. Thats why I call it cheese, but I do understand people have their own House rules, so what is in the game is usable.

If you are interested I will give you a run-down of my house rules that help me have competitive games against the AI.

abpanther

Staff member
Yes please

I would also like to know if there are any other cheese plays that always work so i can....um....make sure i don't use them :)

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Yea i havent got it yet but i will purchase soon, like to have a good hard game, i dont mind a 10-6 season. So any tips on how to achieve a competitive games with AI is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yea i havent got it yet but i will purchase soon, like to have a good hard game, i dont mind a 10-6 season. So any tips on how to achieve a competitive games with AI is greatly appreciated

I just have it on all pro and allow the game to adjust things itself. Sometimes it just gets very difficult cause it seems that none of my wr can get any separation, or my running game just collapses in a hole, but I just put it down to how it works in real life sometimes. Thank god it usually readjusts the next game as it knows your not yet that good!

zombie jesus

Staff member
I play All Madden and have lost games 13-10 but then I've put 50+ on a couple of teams then everything in between, finished 11-5 my first season. It's all passing though, can't seem to get a running game going much at all. If I go down to All Pro it gets ridiculously simple, breaking season records by week 14 in all offensive categories. Might change once this update comes through.

abpanther

Staff member
I play All Madden and have lost games 13-10 but then I've put 50+ on a couple of teams then everything in between, finished 11-5 my first season. It's all passing though, can't seem to get a running game going much at all. If I go down to All Pro it gets ridiculously simple, breaking season records by week 14 in all offensive categories. Might change once this update comes through.

Any tips to improve my passing game?

one tree hill

Juniors

So it still hasn't changed from years ago? That's why i only play online. There's always been too big a gap between All Pro and All Madden.

Latest posts