What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madden 13

Big Tim

First Grade
Cause i am 40 now and don't have as much time as I would like nor the desire to play that way. Years ago I only ever did it on all madden, but these days I am more than happy with all pro, use only game flow no matter how silly the call is, with CPU adjustments turned on which does seem to bring it up to an all madden level (did prefer when it showed you the levels it had adjusted too though). Might throw it on all madden with CPU adjustments to see how I go.

Dont get me wrong DOW, I am not telling anyone how they should play. I thought I attempted to make that point.

Its about what works for you. If you are limited by time and play 8 min quarters, I dont mind. If you like to go 16-0 and destroy NFL records and have all your players named to the Pro Bowl, I dont mind. If you like to run disk All-Madden and get chessed by the AI, I dont mind. If you want to get through games quickly and play 5 min quarters, I dont mind.

What I do mind is the thousands of people on forums complaining that their MLB cant get 6-7 tackles per game to get 100 on the season.... and then they say they play on AP with 7-9 minute quarters.

The problem is 2-fold, and compounds on it self.

With that game time, you wont get the right amount of snaps, so less stats to go around. On top of that, the AI will abandon the run if they are down by 2 scores with "limited" time on the clock, so you will get less chance at tackles because they start throwing to play catch up, and stop the clock on an incompletion.

Ab, you are right. You adjust your game as you play. I never had a problem with verticals, until one game I was down by a FG, no timeouts and 30 secs on the clock, at my 35.

2 passes, TD. Not very realistic, so I dropped Verticals. I allow curl flats, because it is a well designed play that makes the D play all the men on that side, but it is far too clutch to allow realistic play if you use it on 3rd down IMO.

At the end of the day, its about getting what you want out of it. I want sim stats, and a close game. This is what I achieve. It may not look like fun to all, but I really enjoy the sim side of sports gaming.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I do think it is the best madden I have played. Though I only buy every second year now for about the last 10 yrs.

With CPU adjustments turned on, no way you are going 16-0. Eventually you find the CPU has turned things up so high that I am throwing the ball away nearly every time cause I just can't get anyone open, and can't run the ball at all.

Last edited:

one tree hill

Juniors
You want a sports sim to play sim? You gotta play sim.

15 min quarters on the Gridiron, 12 minute quarters on the court, 15 minute periods on the ice.

I get sick of people complaining about "sim stats" and then finding out they play on All-Pro, with 8 min quarters...... how would you expect to get sim stats with un-sim conditions?

It's only a video game, I just play for fun

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Apparently the patch arrived a day early.

Mixed reviews over at OS.

Some saying that the difficulty is much better against the AI. They make better decisions and play more towards their scheme.

Others saying that there is a bug when editing OL/DL players that makes them super skinny, and with WR's making them have skinny arms. When reading these complaints it was tough to tell exactly what they were explaining, or whether they were just doing it wrong and causing the issue.

Will check it out tonight and get my CCM started by the end of the week.

Considering changing the Skins back to a 4-3 with Orakpo and Kerrigan on the ends, Bowen, Carriker and Cofield at DT.

LB's are the issue, but with London retiring after year one it would be fun to ot only have to find solid safeties, but a new LB corps also.

It truly is a shame that what could have been the foundation of the Skins defence, safety play, never got to eventuate. I would have loved to have seen what Taylor and Landry could have done together.

abpanther

Staff member
So is that patch now available?

I have slowly been getting more efficient on offense, play action passes to TEs are money in this game.

Playing a franchise with my mate, really enjoy the scouting and team building aspect in the offseason, also cool to buy the XP packages for those positions and watch them progress quite quickly

Raider_69

Post Whore
finally got around to buying this today, wife to be is heading to her sisters for the night so im itching to get home and start playing

Raider_69

Post Whore
DeSean Jackson is an absolute f**king monster in this game
granted im no superstar, so i play on all pro with some slider adjustments but i can seemly always find him open. 5-6 rec a game for 110 yards a game

Ladmate

Bench
I can't remember the last Madden where the fastest player wasn't the best player. Madden 13 is no exception.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm interested in getting everyone's thought on how they manage their scheme.

I am now in my 4th season of a CCM franchise, I stripped the Cardinals bare and have rebuilt them and the roster is starting to look very nice.

I have mainly rebuilt through the draft and when scouting prospects I obviously try to get guys that fit my scheme.

From what I have read, the scheme that you have set for each position impacts the overall rating for a prospect, obviously a guy who fits your scheme (e.g. SS Run Stopper) will have get a positive bump in their overall while someone who doesn't (e.g. SS Balanced) will get a negative bump. From what I have read however, this change in overall rating does not actually impact how they play on the field, rather their play on the field is dictated by their other stats (e.g. speed, awareness, etc), is that everyone elses understanding?

I guess I'm asking because I'm curious as to how much significance it should actually carry when recruiting players.

My general feeling is that with your defensive front 7 it is very relevant as you don't really want a Tampa 2 LB if you're running a 3-4 defense. I also figure it is kinda relevant for your Oline, as again you don't want a big mauler if you're running a zone blocking scheme.

But just curious as to how relevant do you guys think it is? I mean does it matter if the CB you draft is prototype or balanced? Does it matter if your FS plays in a 4-3 scheme and you're running a 3-4? Can you draft a 4-3 MLB to play inside in a 3-4 or will his play drop?

Just keen to hear thoughts

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
ive only just started second season, at the moment im doing my eagles dynasty using the current roster, went 10-6 in the regular season and won the SB first year. I moved Mike Vick, Jason Peters and Jason Babin in the off season, and have invested heavily in Foles and have rebuilt the OL via draft and FA.

Im running a lot run plays behind shady and play action to Jackson, Maclin and Chad Johnson who i signed on a one year vet deal after Avant did his ACL. Foles has a nice deep ball and is reasonably accurate for a guy with his development, but im slowing working him up.

I drafted and signed guys on my OL and secondary that fit my scheme and they are playing a lot better, but i dont know if thats because of the scheme fit or because ive infused it with more talent and better players.

When i get bored of winning SB's with the Eagles, ill probably try and take someone like Rams and rebuild them and get a better understanding of how the scheme fit impacts in terms of on-field performance

Big Tim

First Grade
Schemes just help you find the right player. They dont make them play any different.

Obviously if you draft a Prototype CB, and play a lot of 0 Cover man, his play would be poor, because he isnt a man to man CB (unless for some reason he has a high M2M rating) and vice versa.

The only place it really assists is in FA at the end of the season. You cant see players specific stats, only an overall. So if you want a M2M corner, set your player scheme to M2M and guys with higher M2M cover skills (m2m, spd, agi, awr) will appear with higher overalls.

What do you guys scout for in drafting?

I have a pretty good system that gets me good players, but not always stars.

I scout a players Physical rating (this is an overall rating of their physical skills: SPD, AGI, and position specific stats) and if it is B or higher I scout their Intangibles (AWR, PRC etc) and if they are C or higher, I target that guy.

I am in the 2nd season of my Skins chise. I simmed the first season as I had got that far with my online CCM, but wanted to go offline with the new patch.

I had no 1st round pick (RG3!) and traded down my 2nd for a 4th this season and a 3rd the next.

I drafted an MLB who had B Physical and B Intangibles. He turned out to be a 81 overall MLB in my 3-4 tackler scheme, but is actually a balanced MLB. Dude is money. Good coverage skills, and great ability to read the draw.

I drafted an FS in the 5th round, who is my starter who comes in at a 75 overall, but plays above that because he had an A intangible rating.

My best was a WR that was projected to go in the 7th, I took him in the 6th because he had A Phys, and C Int. He turns out to be a 81 overall Speed receiver with Superstar development.

The only other player worth mentioning was the RB I picked up in the 7th. A phys, D int. He has 93 speed and 98 Acc, 95 Juke and 94 Spin. After week 9 I have him as the starter as Morris doesnt have the burst to hit holes with the sliders I am running.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I target certain things in positions, strength for OL or speed in WR etc, and then if i like what im seeing do an over all rating, it limits me so i end up targetting 3-4 players each draft and trade up using other picks to get them, your system sounds much better. Might start using it.

abpanther

Staff member
Schemes just help you find the right player. They dont make them play any different.

Obviously if you draft a Prototype CB, and play a lot of 0 Cover man, his play would be poor, because he isnt a man to man CB (unless for some reason he has a high M2M rating) and vice versa.

The only place it really assists is in FA at the end of the season. You cant see players specific stats, only an overall. So if you want a M2M corner, set your player scheme to M2M and guys with higher M2M cover skills (m2m, spd, agi, awr) will appear with higher overalls.

What do you guys scout for in drafting?

I have a pretty good system that gets me good players, but not always stars.

I scout a players Physical rating (this is an overall rating of their physical skills: SPD, AGI, and position specific stats) and if it is B or higher I scout their Intangibles (AWR, PRC etc) and if they are C or higher, I target that guy.

I am in the 2nd season of my Skins chise. I simmed the first season as I had got that far with my online CCM, but wanted to go offline with the new patch.

I had no 1st round pick (RG3!) and traded down my 2nd for a 4th this season and a 3rd the next.

I drafted an MLB who had B Physical and B Intangibles. He turned out to be a 81 overall MLB in my 3-4 tackler scheme, but is actually a balanced MLB. Dude is money. Good coverage skills, and great ability to read the draw.

I drafted an FS in the 5th round, who is my starter who comes in at a 75 overall, but plays above that because he had an A intangible rating.

My best was a WR that was projected to go in the 7th, I took him in the 6th because he had A Phys, and C Int. He turns out to be a 81 overall Speed receiver with Superstar development.

The only other player worth mentioning was the RB I picked up in the 7th. A phys, D int. He has 93 speed and 98 Acc, 95 Juke and 94 Spin. After week 9 I have him as the starter as Morris doesnt have the burst to hit holes with the sliders I am running.

I pretty much do what you do. I check out their physical grade and if it's B or so I then check intangibles.

One thing to remember is the overall they come out at isn't the be-all-end-all, it's the superstar development that you want. I drafted a FS that came in at 73 and after one season he made the pro bowl and is now 83 overall. It also helps if you buy the XP boost package for the relevant position. In my 4th season I have no bought the XP boost packages for quite a few positions.

I also like to scout their scheme, particularly for defensive front 7 players as I run a 3-4, I don't know how relevant it really is for MLBs though?

Last night I drafted a TE in the 6th round, he came in at 84 overall with 84 speed and jumping and catching stats off the charts. He's a 6'6 monster. I love that there are draft steals later in the draft if you scout well

Hey how did you find out that your WR was superstar development after you drafted him?

Big Tim

First Grade
I pretty much do what you do. I check out their physical grade and if it's B or so I then check intangibles.

One thing to remember is the overall they come out at isn't the be-all-end-all, it's the superstar development that you want. I drafted a FS that came in at 73 and after one season he made the pro bowl and is now 83 overall. It also helps if you buy the XP boost package for the relevant position. In my 4th season I have no bought the XP boost packages for quite a few positions.

I also like to scout their scheme, particularly for defensive front 7 players as I run a 3-4, I don't know how relevant it really is for MLBs though?

Last night I drafted a TE in the 6th round, he came in at 84 overall with 84 speed and jumping and catching stats off the charts. He's a 6'6 monster. I love that there are draft steals later in the draft if you scout well

Hey how did you find out that your WR was superstar development after you drafted him?

Its time consuming, but you check in the progress players.

Go right down the bottom. If you cant upgrade development for 50,000 XP they are a superstar.

abpanther

Staff member
Its time consuming, but you check in the progress players.

Go right down the bottom. If you cant upgrade development for 50,000 XP they are a superstar.

Yeah right, that's very interesting.

So you can actually turn any player into a superstar with 50,000 XP

Pretty hefty price to pay

abpanther

Staff member
I think there's certain positions that are easier to develop than others.

In particular, QB, RB, WR and TE I think are easy to progress as you can force feed them touches and make good decisions with your QB.

OL and defensive positions are much tougher IMO.

I tend to want to spend early picks on defense and try to nail superstars. I can get by with grabbing offensive skill position talent later in the draft

Big Tim

First Grade
Yeah right, that's very interesting.

So you can actually turn any player into a superstar with 50,000 XP

Pretty hefty price to pay

Only if they are already quick development. If they are Normal you will need 2 lots of 50K... if they are slow............. good luck.

There are tables on the OS site that show changing a players development is not ideal. You save 50K (could take 2-3 seasons) to get a stat that doesnt improve your player. You then need to earn another 100K with this player to have the same effect of just using the XP on tangible stats.

not worth it from what I can see, which is what makes Quick and Superstar players so valuable.

abpanther

Staff member
Hey Tim,

What sliders are you using on All-Madden?

We're gonna up the difficulty now (won the SB last season), just trying to find some good sliders

timka4

Bench
Hey guys, I'm new to following the NFL and Madden and I just got Madden 13 yesterday. Just wondering if anyone had trouble with their online pass to activate the online content?
I got my game from zoowhouse in victoria on ebay and have an aussie psn. I keep either an error that says "im not permitted to register an Online pass" or if I go redeem code it says my code is invalid or something.
Did anyone else have this issue?
Cheers

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Nope.

Was the game sealed??

Chances are someone already used the code.

Ab, I am currently using Playmakers sliders from VSN with tweaks towards the CPU, but TBH I cant find the right balance. I find I get competitive games, but the CPU is so geniused in its decision making that I still win.... I am 10-2 and my two losses are to the Pats (couldnt get in the endzone) 27-12 and the Giants (JPP was everywhere) 15-10.

Latest posts