What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's arguable that it's boosting it.

Yesterday gets more at the 3 normal venues IMO
Thu 17,113
Fri 41,388
Sat 41,612

100,113 for the three days so far. Anything around 35-40k is a fantastic result for this round of games.

This exercise might've been done before but taking the most recent home crowd figures for each game at their home venues:

Titans v Sharks @ Cbus (2018 R8) - 12,713
Tigers v Panthers @ C'town (2017 R2) - 12,232
Manly v Broncos @ Brookie (2014 R21) - 12,873
Bulldogs v Knights @ Belmore (2017 R18) - 13,103
Storm v Eels @ AAMI (2018 R23) - 12,136
Warriors v Dragons @ Mt Smart (2018 R7) - 18,295
Souths v Cowboys @ ANZ (2015 R6) - 13,866
Roosters v Raiders @ SFS (2015 R4) - 9,582

Granted - Manly have been taking the Broncos game to Suncorp for years, and Souths-Cowboys is played in Cairns most years now; but for this selection of games, there was a good opportunity and IMO they did the right thing.

T-Boon

Coach
How? What will it matter to a Brisbane tv audience once the round is over?

I don't know about the TV audience but the Brisbane people that turned up to more than one game might realise a game every 2 weeks is not enough and start demanding a second team so there is at least 1 game every weekend they can go to.

T-Boon

Coach
Pretty cool this might be the first round of football where overall the NRL crowds have looked better than the AFL crowds. Look at the horror in Melbourne between Hawthawn and Giants. Empty seats = ugly.

8Ball

First Grade
The more I see of this concept the more I like it, possible ground issues/injuries notwithstanding. Stack all the lesser drawing games in one weekend and turn it into a carnival like event.

Looks great on TV..financial windfall for clubs..something else for the NRL to take on the road...plenty of room to grow it with marketing, promotional activities etc. Why the hell not?

The more I see of this concept the more I like it, possible ground issues/injuries notwithstanding. Stack all the lesser drawing games in one weekend and turn it into a carnival like event.

Looks great on TV..financial windfall for clubs..something else for the NRL to take on the road...plenty of room to grow it with marketing, promotional activities etc. Why the hell not?

Could be case for making it a travelling roadshow. Alternate between Sydney and Brissie. Maybe send it to Perth next year? With only two AFL teams in town there might be a weekend where there’s no game on?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could be case for making it a travelling roadshow. Alternate between Sydney and Brissie. Maybe send it to Perth next year? With only two AFL teams in town there might be a weekend where there’s no game on?

Nope, wouldn’t work in Perth.
Not enough RL fans here to have 130k people turn out over 4 days. What we need to be getting is one DH at Optus and at least one game at bankwest park each year.

greenBV4

Bench
Not enough RL fans here to have 130k people turn out over 4 days. What we need to be getting is one Fake at Optus and at least one game at bankwest park each year.
Whats fake? Is DH a not allowed word?

T-Boon

Coach
Not enough RL fans here to have 130k people turn out over 4 days. What we need to be getting is one Fake at Optus and at least one game at bankwest park each year.

See how the abbreviation for double header converts to "fake". I use that abbreviation for dummy half and it converts to fake. What is the deal.

T-Boon

Coach

How much is the WA government paying for Origin?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Haven't Titans and Storm also taken their home games, against the Broncos to Brisbane, in the past few years? How do the Broncos keep overcoming such adversity?

They spent money signing a gun coach. Seibs will take them to the promise land.

Spot On

Coach
I don't get why us fans can't question this concept without being called negative nancies..

It has worked ok first time.. but it seems like a lazy short term fix to the NRL crowd problems..

We want the NRL to come up with strategies so that St George v Warriors can be a stand alone game in Sydney and draw 20-25k in a good looking stadium...

And this concept cannot be replicated in Perth Adelaide Melbourne or anywhere other than maybe NZ .. it's just a one off short term sugar hit.. and if you do it every year in Bris fatigue will guarantee set in after 3 years . Like the auckland nine's..

We are constantly selling the game short.. and this is another example.. but let's all talk the game up..

You can question it. And what you have pointed out re the nines concept is true.

Couldn't agree more.

Well said.

Last edited: