What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

Northern

Juniors
I may be basking in Rugby League heaven after the Bulls win yesterday (C’mon!!!), but from over here looked like it was a success. I know it’s different over here, but it did feel like a bit of a festival of League, and I’d say hats off for giving it a go. By the way, did I mention that The Bulls beat L**ds yesterday!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I may be basking in Rugby League heaven after the Bulls win yesterday (C’mon!!!), but from over here looked like it was a success. I know it’s different over here, but it did feel like a bit of a festival of League, and I’d say hats off for giving it a go. By the way, did I mention that The Bulls beat L**ds yesterday!!!!

Haha, glorious day at odsal!

T-Boon

Coach
I don't get why us fans can't question this concept without being called negative nancies..

It has worked ok first time.. but it seems like a lazy short term fix to the NRL crowd problems..

We want the NRL to come up with strategies so that St George v Warriors can be a stand alone game in Sydney and draw 20-25k in a good looking stadium...

And this concept cannot be replicated in Perth Adelaide Melbourne or anywhere other than maybe NZ .. it's just a one off short term sugar hit.. and if you do it every year in Bris fatigue will guarantee set in after 3 years . Like the auckland nine's..

We are constantly selling the game short.. and this is another example.. but let's all talk the game up..

The Magic round is part of the short and long term solution to improving crowds all around.
It achieves this in a lot of ways:
1. Immediately increases the average crowd numbers.
2. Takes games out of Sydney - where there is currently a massive oversupply of games.
3. Highlights the need for another Brisbane team (something the NRL wants, but the clubs don't).
4. Clubs get a lot more money from this round than they would an ordinary round, which they could spend on advertising games or game day entertainment but they won't. They will spend it on wrestling coaches.
5. Shows the clubs that if you advertise and put on a show crowds will attend.

Magic round will work great in Victoria, NZ, NSW (especially Newcastle or Parramatta), Canberra (once they get a proper stadium), Gold Coast. Once all those governments/counsels start bidding for it they will pay a lot more than $3mill. It will be more like $5mill.

The advantage of MR over Auckland nines is that it will be hard for clubs to screw it (they will try) by sending reserve graders. Remember that is a big part of why the nines started to die. The clubs did not want it. They hated it.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
The Magic round is part of the short and long term solution to improving crowds all around.
It achieves this in a lot of ways:
1. Immediately increases the average crowd numbers.
2. Takes games out of Sydney - where there is currently a massive oversupply of games.
3. Highlights the need for another Brisbane team (something the NRL wants, but the clubs don't).
4. Clubs get a lot more money from this round than they would an ordinary round, which they could spend on advertising games or game day entertainment but they won't. They will spend it on wrestling coaches.
5. Shows the clubs that if you advertise and put on a show crowds will attend.

Magic round will work great in Victoria, NZ, NSW (especially Newcastle or Parramatta), Canberra (once they get a proper stadium), Gold Coast. Once all those governments/counsels start bidding for it they will pay a lot more than $3mill. It will be more like $5mill.

The advantage of MR over Auckland nines is that it will be hard for clubs to screw it (they will try) by sending reserve graders. Remember that is a big part of why the nines started to die. The clubs did not want it. They hated it.

I agree with almost all of that.
IMO
People think Footy will get massive crowds every week if games were taken out of Sydney.

You put more than 2 or 3 games anywhere in the same town every weekend and you’ll have the same crowd issues.

Playing all teams in one stadium won’t help either.

If you start culling Sydney teams and making the ones left play in a non home ground it’ll fail.
As bad as people think Sydney crowds are I doubt you’ll get better anywhere else.

Just my opinion.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I agree with almost all of that.
IMO
People think Footy will get massive crowds every week if games were taken out of Sydney.

You put more than 2 or 3 games anywhere in the same town every weekend and you’ll have the same crowd issues.

Playing all teams in one stadium won’t help either.

If you start culling Sydney teams and making the ones left play in a non home ground it’ll fail.
As bad as people think Sydney crowds are I doubt you’ll get better anywhere else.

Just my opinion.

You can create as many gimmicks as you want.. to create short term results..

Or you can work on the basics.. the hard stuff

Get 50,000 people who absolutely love your club and who eat and breathe it..

Sydney clubs all seem to be able to find 7-10k diehards.. every game they show up ..

Just double this number the people are out there..... Then you have your solid base..

Of 15-20k.. then when your winning you find 5k more a game..

It's the only way the nrl averages 20k ever..

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Just got back to WA after a great weekend,

Highlights
  • Walking through Brisbane Friday morning and feeling the occasion, league jumpers from all teams everywhere
  • My first visit to the Caxton
  • Meeting up with over 30 people that I haven't seen in 20 years at the Caxton on friday arvo, all travelling in seperate groups from different parts of the country
  • The Tigers, need I say more
  • Taking 30 mins to get a beer after the Tigers game because we got bailed up by a group of very pissed and exited Tigers supporters, great fun
  • Sitting in The Pig & Whistle Friday night, guitarist playing Chisel, Tigers replay on the tele and a Jacks and Coke in my hand. Life is good
  • Parra walking past the cafe we were having breakfast at on Saturday morning. Fergo and Moses both stopped and had photos with some kids even though the rest of the team had gone ahead.
  • Another pre game visit to the Caxton, met Garry Larson who was there in an old bears jumper
  • Sitting right in front of the coaches box for the Dragons game, watched on as McGregor, after seeing his team totally choke, noticed a young saints fan in tears and called him into the box. Some supporters lifted him through a window of a nearby corporate box and he went and got photos and autographs from Widdop. Classy.
  • Sitting in front of same box for Melbourne game, Bellamy was pure entertainment on his own. Still blowing up even when they were leading by 50.
  • Walking back into the City post game amongst a large group of supporters from all teams, the banter was hilarious and friendly like I've never experienced before
  • Another stop at the Caxton Sunday
  • Sitting near Tallis whilst he was doing his TripleM show, quite funny hearing a blake argue into a microphone when you don't hear the other end of the conversation
  • Going to The Matty Johns Show Sunday night, hilarious
  • Meeting a group of guys from Newcastle at an Irish pub sunday night, all would of been in their 70's. What a fun bunch of blokes,
  • My mate getting heckled by Kevvie Walters at Brisbane airport because he was wearing a Blues jumper
  • Easily the best sporting event I've attended (The 05 Grand Final was a great result but the event was shit and we had crap seats). I've never had so much fun, met so many people all having the same great experience. Over the whole weekend we didn't hear one negative comment, even the usual suspects like Kent and Buzz were loving it, we are already planning for next year.

moffla

Bench

Highlights
  • Walking through Brisbane Friday morning and feeling the occasion, league jumpers from all teams everywhere
  • Meeting up with over 30 people that I haven't seen in 20 years at the Caxton on friday arvo, all travelling in seperate groups from different parts of the country
  • Taking 30 mins to get a beer after the Tigers game because we got bailed up by a group of very pissed and exited Tigers supporters, great fun
  • Sitting in The Pig & Whistle Friday night, guitarist playing Chisel, Tigers replay on the tele and a Jacks and Coke in my hand. Life is good
  • Parra walking past the cafe we were having breakfast at on Saturday morning. Fergo and Moses both stopped and had photos with some kids even though the rest of the team had gone ahead.
  • Another pre game visit to the Caxton, met Garry Larson who was there in an old bears jumper
  • Sitting right in front of the coaches box for the Dragons game, watched on as McGregor, after seeing his team totally choke, noticed a young saints fan in tears and called him into the box. Some supporters lifted him through a window of a nearby corporate box and he went and got photos and autographs from Widdop. Classy.
  • Sitting in front of same box for Melbourne game, Bellamy was pure entertainment on his own. Still blowing up even when they were leading by 50.
  • Walking back into the City post game amongst a large group of supporters from all teams, the banter was hilarious and friendly like I've never experienced before
  • Sitting near Tallis whilst he was doing his TripleM show, quite funny hearing a blake argue into a microphone when you don't hear the other end of the conversation
  • Meeting a group of guys from Newcastle at an Irish pub sunday night, all would of been in their 70's. What a fun bunch of blokes,
  • My mate getting heckled by Kevvie Walters at Brisbane airport because he was wearing a Blues jumper
  • Easily the best sporting event I've attended (The 05 Grand Final was a great result but the event was shit and we had crap seats). I've never had so much fun, met so many people all having the same great experience. Over the whole weekend we didn't hear one negative comment, even the usual suspects like Kent and Buzz were loving it, we are already planning for next year.
How dare you share a nice positive experience...this forum is negativity only!

Vee

First Grade

Highlights
Interested to know how you got those seats. PM me if you like.

carcharias

Immortal

Highlights

Sounds pretty good

But ... it’s not like you saw the sharks win their maiden premiership
:grinning:

siv

First Grade

Highlights

So how many days / games did you attend ?

siv

First Grade
Was the event a success is a dufficult question as the are plus and minuses

Economoy wise it was a plus for Brisbane especially Caxton St

People who dont see much NRL and dont care about pathways/feeder players got to see many games live - if they forked up for travel and accomodation between $500 and $1000 depending on where you came from - and didnt sit at the Caxton pub and watch it live on TV

Actual people attending has left everyone confused on how to add up the totals with so many repeat attendees. 135k or 276k

But with crowd max being 41k maybe only 50k individual people attended

Pitch held up ok over a relatively dry weekend. But the ground needs a month of no footy before to be at its best and month of no footy after to recover. A wet weekend would have impacted the pitch significantly

Playing a round of Sydney v regional teams will improve that weekends match day average

Putting ThuNF football on Sunday will improve the event

I dont agree with playing it on a long weekend unless there is a Qld only long weekend available

Does anyone know how many 2 3 or 4 day passes were sold ?

The Marshall

Juniors
Apologise if its been mentioned already but on NRL 360 last night they said that the NRL was very keen to have had the Thursday night game at Dolphin Oval in Redcliffe but they just couldn't get it all worked out in time.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
So how many days / games did you attend ?
3 day pass, 7 games. Missed half the Warriors game because we were outside the stadium, arrived halfway through the first half of the roosters game because we were catching up with friends at the pub and we left early once the Bunnies were in control to get a good possie at the Matty Johns show.

This Year?

Immortal

Highlights

Sounds like a great weekend! We need to hear of more experiences from MR :)

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
On fox they were saying it is a 3 year contract with Qland Govt so will def be at Suncorp for next two years. Missed it this year as my RL trip will be for World Nines but its a must do for me next year.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Was the event a success is a dufficult question as the are plus and minuses

Economoy wise it was a plus for Brisbane especially Caxton St

People who dont see much NRL and dont care about pathways/feeder players got to see many games live - if they forked up for travel and accomodation between $500 and $1000 depending on where you came from - and didnt sit at the Caxton pub and watch it live on TV

Actual people attending has left everyone confused on how to add up the totals with so many repeat attendees. 135k or 276k

But with crowd max being 41k maybe only 50k individual people attended

Pitch held up ok over a relatively dry weekend. But the ground needs a month of no footy before to be at its best and month of no footy after to recover. A wet weekend would have impacted the pitch significantly

Playing a round of Sydney v regional teams will improve that weekends match day average

Putting ThuNF football on Sunday will improve the event

I dont agree with playing it on a long weekend unless there is a Qld only long weekend available

Does anyone know how many 2 3 or 4 day passes were sold ?
The event was a success, this is all detail stuff that you're clearly skewing negative because you're against it.

How the crowd is split is nearly meaningless, Suncorp will continue to host sport most weeks for the winter, Thursday won't be going anywhere because the broadcaster won't let them, and the event made a shedload of profit for the game because the Government kicked in a ton of cash.

Just enjoy it

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
On fox they were saying it is a 3 year contract with Qland Govt so will def be at Suncorp for next two years. Missed it this year as my RL trip will be for World Nines but its a must do for me next year.
A 3 year contract with the QLD government guarantees the state hosts it, not the venue.

Given the state manages both Cbus and nuTownsville, there's every chance it could visit one of those venues before the contract is up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A 3 year contract with the QLD government guarantees the state hosts it, not the venue.

Given the state manages both Cbus and nuTownsville, there's every chance it could visit one of those venues before the contract is up.

Maybe, I doubt NRL would want the ticket sale hit though, clubs want there money and teh Qland Govt ewants the tourist numbers, doubt 30k are heading to Townsville for it?

Latest posts