What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic Weekend 2019 - Suncorp

some11

Referee
I swear I heard yesterday that this round has been or is very close to being locked in for Brisbane for the next 3 or so years.
I don't like that, the novelty factor wears off if you keep it in one place.

Take it on the road. Make sure it's well promoted and is a fun, family atmosphere and it's a winner.

T-Boon

Coach
Great looking crowd at this one, would have been at ANZ and depressing looking if usual run of events.

OzDragon

Coach
I don't like that, the novelty factor wears off if you keep it in one place.

Take it on the road. Make sure it's well promoted and is a fun, family atmosphere and it's a winner.
Makes more sense to have it at ANZ or BW

t-ba

Post Whore
Warming to the concept and even smarter to put it on Mothers Day weekend.

Need to do something about this goat paddock however. Glad Manly played on Friday because I can see this shitpile pitch derailing some teams seasons tomorrow.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
I don't get why us fans can't question this concept without being called negative nancies..

It has worked ok first time.. but it seems like a lazy short term fix to the NRL crowd problems..

We want the NRL to come up with strategies so that St George v Warriors can be a stand alone game in Sydney and draw 20-25k in a good looking stadium...

And this concept cannot be replicated in Perth Adelaide Melbourne or anywhere other than maybe NZ .. it's just a one off short term sugar hit.. and if you do it every year in Bris fatigue will guarantee set in after 3 years . Like the auckland nine's..

We are constantly selling the game short.. and this is another example.. but let's all talk the game up..

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Actually if you go back and read the exchange you started the personal attack by saying 'don't know what you're on'.... but good for you champ.

You knew, from memory, that Titans took a 2007 round 1 game against Saints to Suncorp? Puhlease.
"I don't know what you're on" is an expression of disbelief because I (obviously wrongly) assumed it was general knowledge amongst people who follow the NRL closely (i.e. people who post on this forum) that it was the Storm who took their games to Suncorp.

Obviously others don't follow that as closely as I do.

And yes, I did know the Titans took their first ever game against STGI to Suncorp, is that an issue?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't get why us fans can't question this concept without being called negative nancies..

It has worked ok first time.. but it seems like a lazy short term fix to the NRL crowd problems..

We want the NRL to come up with strategies so that St George v Warriors can be a stand alone game in Sydney and draw 20-25k in a good looking stadium...

And this concept cannot be replicated in Perth Adelaide Melbourne or anywhere other than maybe NZ .. it's just a one off short term sugar hit.. and if you do it every year in Bris fatigue will guarantee set in after 3 years . Like the auckland nine's..

We are constantly selling the game short.. and this is another example.. but let's all talk the game up..
There's a difference between questioning it, constructively criticising, and doing what you do - actively shit on it and anything that happens in the NRL, which is your modus operandi. It's evident across several threads.

We're all cynics here but you come across as someone who doesn't even like the game.

Travitoh

First Grade
I've was at Magic Weekend in 2015 and it was fantastic. Pockets of fans everywhere and St James' was buzzing.

The biggest reason it works in the UK imo is the fact that it was £20 for a 1-2 hour train to get to the host city.

I love the idea of it here in Australia but when flights will cost $200+ for out of towners to attend, it suddenly limits your potential audience.

Shark62

Juniors
There's a difference between questioning it, constructively criticising, and doing what you do - actively shit on it and anything that happens in the NRL, which is your modus operandi. It's evident across several threads.

We're all cynics here but you come across as someone who doesn't even like the game.
How anybody could criticise this so far is beyond me. That last try- feck me!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hahaha. Seriously what do you boys want? My off handed jibe at the Broncos which Timmah feverishly googled to prove I was wrong. If you boys hadn't noticed the majority of this site is about shit-posting but well done, you got me a beauty. To quote a great man, I lose the internet battle today, but the war continues.
I was just tellin teh jokes guys. Youz are teh geniusz. Gotcha heh heh

WaznTheGreat

Referee
I guess this really was a magic weekend,Parra getting flogged will surely get BA sacked which is good news

Thank you almighty magic weekend for your glorious powers

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn’t get too upset if you dont like it, nrl events rarely last more than a couple of years before being diluted or wiped. Im amazed origin lasted as it did, I guess because it was pre nrl administration days.

VictoryFC

Bench
I've was at Magic Weekend in 2015 and it was fantastic. Pockets of fans everywhere and St James' was buzzing.

The biggest reason it works in the UK imo is the fact that it was £20 for a 1-2 hour train to get to the host city.

I love the idea of it here in Australia but when flights will cost $200+ for out of towners to attend, it suddenly limits your potential audience.

Id say the main reason it works is because it takes the game to new cities in stadiums the game doesnt play in. But that cant happen here, cos distances are enormous. It just wouldnt make sense playing it in Perth or Adelaide as attendance would be sketchy at best. You wouldnt get what youd get in Sydney or Brisbane.

In UK theyve got heaps of options near heartlands that are, as you say, a quick ride away.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id say the main reason it works is because it takes the game to new cities in stadiums the game doesnt play in. But that cant happen here, cos distances are enormous. It just wouldnt make sense playing it in Perth or Adelaide as attendance would be sketchy at best. You wouldnt get what youd get in Sydney or Brisbane.

In UK theyve got heaps of options near heartlands that are, as you say, a quick ride away.

It doesn’t really, 95% attendance is from fans of clubs involved. I doubt many Geordies went to magic in Newcastle.
I do agree only two places it could possible work is anz and Suncorp and I’d say given Sydney’s nrl apathy even anz would be a gamble.

VictoryFC

Bench
It doesn’t really, 95% attendance is from fans of clubs involved. I doubt many Geordies went to magic in Newcastle.
I do agree only two places it could possible work is anz and Suncorp and I’d say given Sydney’s nrl apathy even anz would be a gamble.

I never said anything about who goes to the games. I said it takes the game to big cities and stadiums RL isnt played in professionally. And then I followed it up by saying that these stadiums being close to heartlands makes it an easier sell for fans to travel.