What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a Murderer

Aragorn

First Grade
Again I say he had an IQ of 70....this isn't the thinking of a regular person at best..

so you are agreeing with us then. You're just saying he was too much of a dumbass to have figured it out.

Unfortunate but he totally f**ked it up old Steveo. Instead of being $36m richer he's back in jail probably giving head to inmates right this very minute.

Aragorn

First Grade
Well where was he going to go?
Extremely low IQ and had no money when he'd just gotten out of jail.
He moved back to the only home and town he'd known.
Maybe if this TV show had aired he could have stayed at the Hilton in New York while he was suing them but he was a simple minded man and at the time what options did he have?

He should have gone to the bank and asked for a loan and use it to go into hiding.... $36m makes you a target for anyone. Once the verdict was out, and cash in the bank (assuming successful), he could buy his own town and call it Avery County if he wanted to....

instead he was a sitting duck waiting to be shot

thorson1987

Coach
He should have gone to the bank and asked for a loan and use it to go into hiding.... $36m makes you a target for anyone. Once the verdict was out, and cash in the bank (assuming successful), he could buy his own town and call it Avery County if he wanted to....

You really think the bank would approve a loan for him?

Aragorn

First Grade
You really think the bank would approve a loan for him?

Absolutely, if not a bank, someone would have been willing to give him a healthy loan knowing he was suing (favorably) for 36m. And even if he didn't get the full amount, whatever he settled for in the end (500K?) would be more than enough to cover a small loan needed to go into hiding.

I guess my point is, if I'm suing anyone for 36m, I would be taking extra precautionary measures, especially around safety.

Buy surveillance cameras, carry a gun, keep a low profile, and take no risks. That sort of money will makes you a target for all sorts of people... ironic it was the cops that got to him first..

HowHigh

Coach
so you are agreeing with us then. You're just saying he was too much of a dumbass to have figured it out.

Unfortunate but he totally f**ked it up old Steveo. Instead of being $36m richer he's back in jail probably giving head to inmates right this very minute.
Yeah I agree he made himself a target but I don't think he had any other options at the time.

I don't know how the banks there work but I doubt he would have been given a loan. He had a small house/trailer/shack whatever it was on the property as collateral. Maybe he could have gone to a loan shark that'd front him some cash?
What's the chances of getting framed for a murder? I'm sure he wasn't expecting that, nobody would.
I'm still undecided if he's guilty or innocent but what's the worst the cops could do? Maybe some harassment and shit but there's no way he thought he'd be framed for a murder (if he actually is innocent of course).
I guess that's why this show is so popular because of the possibilities..

forward pass

Coach
I still can't believe that it is perfectly acceptable in US courts that Steven was found guilty of murdering Teresa in his bedroom, whereas Brendan was found guilty of murdering her in the garage. So much wrong with this case.

The thing that I found most suss about him is the video that Teresa made that is shown in the last episode. She's talking about the people she loves and mentions her sisters and her parents, but I'm sure she doesn't mention him.

I have only just watched this series so I apologise I am so far behind. The garage/bedroom thing has got me too. They were convicted of the same murder - in different locations? wtf

Also, that is a great point about the video which I didn't really pick up on. She did mention she loves her sisters and then says I love everyone else. This has really got me thinking about the brother now.

Great show.

Aragorn

First Grade
I fear having spent 9 years in jail already, the guy is going to be damaged goods in society. Its all messed up.

bileduct

Coach
"extreme malfunction of the legal system"

That's a bit of an understatement. I wonder if Dassey would have been released if not for Making a Murderer.

bileduct

Coach
Any theories that don't involve this guy are a waste of time.

82327350-9535-0133-b2e5-0e438b3b98d1.png
This f**kin' guy.

I found the argument that this dude and Bobby Dassey were behind the murder to be pretty persuasive.

The ex-boyfriend being in possession of the diary with the handwritten notes Teresa took while driving around just before being murdered also didn't look good for him.

My guess is that Bobby and/or Scott pulled off the murder, and that Ryan was working with the cops to frame Avery. I don't think Ryan or the cops necessarily had anything to do with the murder itself, but who knows.

Season 2 pretty much obliterates the case that was built against Avery.

PJ

First Grade
Started listening to a Podcast called Rebutting a Murderer which goes over the case from the other side.

First 4 or 5 eps are blah but after that they raise a few good points and make it easier to understand how they were convicted.

Particularly where they play greater excerpts from Dassey's interview where he is talking about other aspects, apparently unprompted, that were corroborated by physical evidence.

To me he was speaking much freer once he had opened the flood gates and said he did it.

Also played a bit more of the phonecall from Dassey to his mum where he said they did it.

Prosecution had the nurse who took the blood from Avery for the alleged tampered vial prepared to testify that she put the suspect hole there when she took the blood and is common with vacuum vials

I found the arguments against the verdicts in season two of the Netflix series much more compelling, so I will be interested in what the Podcast has to say about the points from Season 2.