What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malcolm Noad Press Release Re: Rebecca Wilson

DJ1

Juniors
May 6, 2005

I am writing to clarify a few points regarding the Bulldogs’ stance against Rebecca Wilson, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph.

Firstly, let me say that this decision to take this stance is not one that we wanted to do, but felt we were forced to do as it was the only option left to us. Contrary to what has been reported in the Telegraph we have not banned these newspapers from speaking with the Club, we have limited their access to Bulldogs players and officials. As is required under NRL guidelines both newspapers will have access to all press conferences held by the Bulldogs and will have access to our players after matches in the dressing rooms. Both newspapers will have access to photographing our players during matches and will receive press releases regarding team information. This message was conveyed to the Telegraph two days ago, but was conveniently forgotten about in articles today by Rebecca Wilson, Paul Kent and Dean Ritchie.

Contrary to what Rebecca Wilson has stated yesterday, we do not have a problem with her expressing her opinion, nor do we feel there is a conspiracy against us at News Limited. Our stand is based on the numerous errors and unsubstantiated stories that she has written about the Bulldogs over the past 12 months. This again occurred in her page last Saturday and it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The thought of banning Rebecca from any contact with the club was never an option as she never calls the Bulldogs to check any facts, never attends Bulldogs games, never attends Bulldogs press conferences and never requests any interviews or information from the Bulldogs. How do you ban someone who has no contact with the Club? This is the very reason why we felt we were left no other choice but to limit our contact with Telegraph journalists to what is required in NRL media guidelines.

Rebecca’s comment that the Bulldogs should be repairing bridges rather than destroying them is again an incorrect one. If you asked any journalist from any media organization, including the Telegraph, they would tell you that the Club has made a concerted effort to improve our relationship with the media. We recognized that the Club was not as open and receptive to the press as it could have been and have thus introduced steps to change this. Our players, coaches and administrators have all increased their time spent dealing with the media. In fact, in an effort to have open dialogue with Rebecca we invited her to a sit down function we held last month titled Women In A League Of Their Own. She accepted the invitation, then did not turn up.

In addition, the Club has introduced new initiatives including a Club Charter in an effort to be more transparent to the rugby league community, our key stakeholders and the general public.

Rebecca also makes mention of the Club not calling her to discuss any issues from her page. That is at the very heart of this decision. Why are we constantly trying to contact her after she has written a story with factual errors. Shouldn’t she be contacting the Bulldogs anytime she receives unsubstantiated information about the club or its players? Isn’t it the very cornerstone of good journalism that you check your facts?

I agree with the statement by the editor of the Daily Telegraph in yesterday’s paper that our decision is disappointing. It is disappointing that we felt we had no other avenue to turn in addressing this problem. We have tried dealing directly with Rebecca on this issue but she first chose to ignore our correspondence. After only copying in Telegraph editors who oversee her work, did she respond via email by having a personal attack on me.

This is a key secondary issue to this whole problem, Rebecca has a personal issue with me and with the Bulldogs Club. The issue with me extends back to the Sydney Olympics when she used to work for me at News Limited. She was suspended by News Limited for the period of the Games at the request of Lachlan Murdoch for several indiscretions. She felt I should have stood up for her.

With regard to the Bulldogs, Rebecca openly admitted her bias against the Club in her page on Saturday – “I will never, ever attend a Bulldogs home game again because of the Coffs Harbour scandal.” Hasn’t she moved on from the Coffs Harbour incident. Ask yourself, do you think she will ever report any positive news about the Bulldogs?

I also agree with Phil Rothfield’s comments in yesterday’s article that columnists should be encouraged to express their opinion without fear or favour. It is reporting of incorrect information and unsubstantiated rumours that I do not agree with. Again, isn’t the checking of information to see if it is true or not at the core of being a good and credible journalist?

A summary of the errors that Rebecca Wilson has made just in the last three months follows:

1. Sunday Telegraph story on a dispute between Malcolm Noad and Brad Clyde about comments to the media – false, never happened, Wilson never called to check.

2. Sunday Telegraph story on senior Bulldogs players going to coach Steve Folkes with their recommendations regarding player signings – false, never happened, Wilson never called to check.

3. Daily Telegraph story about Malcolm claiming he budgeted for sponsorship money which dried up after Coffs Harbour scandal broke – false, Noad was not at the Bulldogs at that time, Wilson never called to check.

4. Sunday Telegraph story about David Gallop witnessing Bulldogs and Roosters players wrestling out the front of the Clovelly Hotel – false, Gallop has denied this. Rebecca Wilson apologised to David Gallop, not to the Bulldogs.

5. Daily Telegraph story about Gallop text message. Refers to the Bulldogs saying Gallop was wrong in fining them over the salary cap. Bulldogs have always said we will review the breach notice and possibly appeal it. No personal comment was ever made by the Bulldogs against Gallop.

6. Daily Telegraph story claiming that five police officers being investigated by the Police Integrity Commission are victims of the Bulldogs and the Coffs Harbour scandal. This investigation regarding the possibility that police revealed information from phone taps is being conducted in private and no judgment has occurred. How does Rebecca Wilson know if they are guilty or innocent?

After including the newspapers’ editors in correspondence to Rebecca Wilson asking for her to correct her errors, nothing was done by the newspapers. What recourse is open to the Bulldogs when incorrect information is printed in the Daily and Sunday Telegraphs?

Regards

Malcolm Noad
CEO
Mitsubishi Electric Bulldogs

Choppies

Coach
Very well said malcolm.

Now I hope the other 14 NRL clubs boycott her and the garbage she writes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its no wonder Noad has had to take this stance.

Hopefully precious Becky will be clearing out her desk pretty soon

thickos

First Grade
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Malcolm, you work for a club I don't like but that was the best display I've seen from a CEO, well, ever!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think Lachlan should put in another call to Wilson. It should be a pretty brief discussion with only two words required on his part.

JW

Coach
:lol:

Too right BR.

A fantastic take on the situation by Noad, by the way. He's ripped Wilson apart and exposed her.

Foz

Bench
I dont think the garbage that comes out of the Telegraph can all be attributed to Wilson.
How about the Mundine joining the Warriors story and it had quotes from a well known player manager.
He doesnt handle Mundine anyway.
Then there was the trouble in the Cowboy camp with Graham Murray.
You can go on and on.
IMO the paper has gone straight downhill since the loss of the Great Chippy.

Jamesy

Juniors
I don't think there has ever been anythign as deserving as this:

thatsgold.gif
THAT'S GOLD

:lol:

Foz

Bench
Jimbo said:
Foz said:
Then there was the trouble in the Cowboy camp with Graham Murray.

That was Wierdler's work

My mistake.
What was the Paul Kent-Cowboys article the other week?
(May have been Sunday Roast)
You dont have to look far to find one anyway.

Bowen wouldnt be at the Cowboys or something.

Rexxy

Coach
IMO the paper has gone straight downhill since the loss of the Great Chippy.

When it came to being His Master's Voice, Chippy in his later years was far worse than the Beckster