What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manchester United at Kogarah Jubilee Oval

saint.nick

Coach
I read in the paper that Man Utd will be setting up their training base at Kogarah while they are here in Australia. Now my dad in fact has a client who owns this childcare centre chain business called Bambinos. This guy happens to know everyone from Ricky Stuart to Paul Kent to Tim Sheens to Doustie himself, and he's a saints fan. Apparently, Doustie went on a 'study tour' to Manchester a while back. This is obviously why he has travelled there. So, with the most famous football club in the world (hard to admit as a liverpool fan), do you think this deal with the red devils will have significant benefits for us?

This childcare guy has a few funny stories too. I'm not sure if people know this already, but when ricky stuart was a raiders player, he drunkenly hit sheens on the head with a pool stick, and in retaliation, sheens landed one with his big ring on his finger right on stuarts chin, leaving him with a permanent scar. Found this really amusing, and it makes you realise that a lot of shit probably goes on behind clubs' doors without you hearing about it.

RedVee

First Grade
Sydney Man U fan club used to watch games and have meetings at Saints Leagues.

gypsy

Bench
No thanks. Man Utd are purely a chequebook club. Keep them well away from Kogarah, thankyou.

saint.nick

Coach
No thanks. Man Utd are purely a chequebook club. Keep them well away from Kogarah, thankyou.

Too late mate. And yes, they are to an extent, but it does co exist with a soul they have too, unlike chelsea. I don't really blame them in regards to cashing in on globalisation. If it's going to make you the biggest club in the world, then why not?

saint.nick

Coach
with the rofthfield hate that permeates this dragons forum, you have to give him credit for admitting that kogarah is the most famous suburban ground in the competition.

Father Ted

First Grade
Kogarah has come a long way

No ground

St. George & Sutherland Shire Leader
March 19th 2002
red-dot.gif

ST GEORGE Illawarra is unlikely to find a home ground in the St George district for "several years".
After a less-than-happy first round game at Aussie Stadium, where only 12,500 braved the heat and encountered a long traffic wait afterwards, the Dragons are away to Penrith on Sunday.
Chief executive Peter Doust yesterday said there was no chance of the club returning to Kogarah Oval in the near future and no other land available.
"Proponents of the Dragons returning to Kogarah in 2003 are not versed with reality," he said.
"While we would love to play at an appropriate venue in the St George district and we're part of a council working party looking at the future, Kogarah just has too many problems now.
"There's problems with parking, lighting, residents and corporate facilities, just to name a few.
"We'd need at least $20 million to build a new grandstand to solve some of them and we don't have that money, nor does local or state government."
Three members of the Return to Kogarah group, which met last weekend, are vying for positions on the leagues club board this week and aiming to fast-track a return to Jubilee Oval.

http://www.r2k.info/press/leader-020319.html

saint.nick

Coach
well if anyone wants to see the team, they're back at kogarah from 4-6 tommorow. Just missed out on seeing them in the flesh today!

hermidale1

Juniors
The Socceroos trained at Kogarah, the Blues trained there and I'm not sure if the Lions did as well, but possibly. When a touring team arrives in Sydney to play at ANZ Stadium, they generally use Kogarah as their home base. I think the conection is not with the clubs, but with ANZ Stadium.

Mr Red

First Grade

:roll: Jesus gypsy, always so negative.
pretty certain there are some things that the club, Price and Doust could learn in terms of smart administration, marketing and general club management and training/recovery techniques..

saint.nick

Coach
The Socceroos trained at Kogarah, the Blues trained there and I'm not sure if the Lions did as well, but possibly. When a touring team arrives in Sydney to play at ANZ Stadium, they generally use Kogarah as their home base. I think the conection is not with the clubs, but with ANZ Stadium.

What possible connection does Kogarah Oval have with ANZ stadium? I don't recall the Lions training there too. I think it's just because it may be the closest small stadium to the city which still has the required facilities.

saint.nick

Coach
:roll: Jesus gypsy, always so negative.
pretty certain there are some things that the club, Price and Doust could learn in terms of smart administration, marketing and general club management and training/recovery techniques..

Believe it or not, but Doust actually did travel to Manchester not long ago to spend time with Man Utd officials. (apologies if you were referring to this)

Father Ted

First Grade
What possible connection does Kogarah Oval have with ANZ stadium? I don't recall the Lions training there too. I think it's just because it may be the closest small stadium to the city which still has the required facilities.

One of the closest to the airport

David007

Juniors
Believe it or not, but Doust actually did travel to Manchester not long ago to spend time with Man Utd officials. (apologies if you were referring to this)

What he did learn doesn't seem evident. Football clubs don't keep coaches that don't perform.

Latest posts