What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - When will the bubble burst

Hurriflatch

Referee
Well this year Parra start is better then 2001.

Didn't win back to back games till rounds 11 and 12 in 2001.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
AlexM said:
the bubbles will soon burst and than they will start sliding down the tablejust like they have been doing in the past 5 or 6 seasons
alex alex

take ure hand off you dick and put it back on the keyboard u make no sense typing one handed dood.

And alex where are the roosters on the ladder.

AlexM

----
Sir Clifford GC said:
AlexM said:
the bubbles will soon burst and than they will start sliding down the tablejust like they have been doing in the past 5 or 6 seasons
alex alex

take ure hand off you dick and put it back on the keyboard u make no sense typing one handed dood.

Funny clifford that you guys are continueing to wank about how good your team is.

Yes I know Manly are having a great start to the season and i can see that on the ladder.

But Manly sometime later this season will start sliding down the table.

lotti

Bench
Sir Clifford GC said:
AlexM said:
alex alex

uh out of the 8 I know that and well said Clifford. Alex, Alex Alex Manly will continue to soar.

winnyason

Juniors
just another roosters nob, why not try to buy mason or slater or maybe a 5/8 of first grade standard.
one win & you are world beaters, reality check wanker.

AlexM said:
Sir Clifford GC said:
AlexM said:
alex alex

Funny clifford that you guys are continueing to wank about how good your team is.

Yes I know Manly are having a great start to the season and i can see that on the ladder.

But Manly sometime later this season will start sliding down the table.

Manly may or may not slide down the table, but there are no great expectations from Manly like there are from the chooks who are supposed to be up there with the favs,

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
well gus doesnt think it will burst hope hes right

Manly on a roll built on defence
By Phil Gould
April 25, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
The Analyst

The Manly has been put back into Manly.

This is no expanding bubble waiting to burst. It's more like a giant snowball gathering size and speed with every revolution.

Manly's performance yesterday was highly impressive.

Firstly, let's look at their defence.

It may seem strange to suggest a team that wins 48-14 did so with defence. But this is exactly what happened at Brookvale Oval yesterday. Souths were absolutely clueless in trying to make breaks against Manly and this led to their frustration and ultimate demise. They knew a long way from home they could not win the game and it showed in their body language.

Great defence can do that to an opposition. It leaves teams with a feeling of helplessness, and once they get more than 10 points behind they all but give up in their minds.

Back in 1995, '96 and '97, Manly teams coached by Bob Fulton produced some of the most dominant and consistent football I have ever seen from a club side. Much of their success was based on an impregnable defensive pattern expertly employed by a team of great athletes.

Advertisement
AdvertisementIt was a sliding defence system where defenders compressed their line in the middle of the field creating the illusion there was space to be exploited out wide. Their marker defenders didn't race out looking for more tackles or to bustle their opponents. They merely melted back into the straight line of defence and closed the gaps behind the play- the-ball.

Once faced with a brick wall of defenders, opposition teams were drawn to the empty spaces down the edges of the field. As they threw long passes to outside supports the Manly line would calmly slide across in front of the ball with the patience and expertise of a lepidopterologist looking to catch a butterfly in a net.

No defender tried to sprint out of the line to cut off the long passes or to make a big hit. Rather, the players move in unison like a synchronised swimming team allowing the opposition to flutter their way towards the sidelines and run themselves out of room. The Manly players then move in confidently and catch their targets in their defensive net.

Not that I am suggesting they can't hit. If you dare to run straight at them looking for a collision, they will certainly accommodate you. Just ask players on the end of several specials from veteran back-rower Steve Menzies. There will be bruised ribs in the South Sydney medical room this morning.

Manly chase their kicks with military-style formation and every time Souths fullback Roy Bell fielded the rolling ball yesterday he would see a giant wall of defenders in front of him.

Manly's attack?

The beauty of it is its simplicity.

Coach Des Hasler has this team playing to the strengths of the individuals. In their own half they rarely pass the ball through more than two sets of hands. There is a single-minded attitude among all players to contribute to advancing the ball into good position for a clearing kick. That is all they want to do. They are good at it, too. The occasional dart out of dummy-half is followed up by a bull-like charge from one their forwards. Brent Kite, Daniel Heckenberg and Anthony Watmough were particularly effective in this role.

Watmough is very impressive and elevation to State of Origin football is not beyond him. He is not your tall, sleek swift-moving type back-rower, with an athletic gate and mesmerising footwork. He is more like your human wrecking ball. He is built close the ground with a big barrel chest and an aggressive demeanour.

Once within 30 metres of the opponent's try-line, Manly expand their ball movement and all players support the creative talents of their halves - Michael Monaghan and Michael Witt. Just because Manly don't attack from 100m away doesn't mean they don't have a lot of points in them. They have more than enough scoring potential and if they remain patient, they will grind a lot of teams into the ground.

Add to the mix that they are building an imposing home-ground win percentage and the Manly fans are now flocking to Brookvale, and it is obvious we have new player in the game.

Well done, Manly. Nice to have you back.

www.smh.com.au

Foz

Bench
Manly at home are one tough Footy team to beat.
That will be enough to get them in the finals.
Tough one against Brisbane this week but the Sharks battered the Broncos up a bit so its a good time to be playing them.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I think they look great this year. The thing that could really hurt them is injuries in key positions. The defence has been great and Witt and Monas are combining really well. They actually remind me a bit of the Storm in 99 when they had a great forward pack and really good halves combined with solid backs.

AlexM

----
Clifford, that is absolutely wrong of you reading Gus's article in the paper. You should know better than that.

He will now jinx you guys like he has jinxed us at the begining of te year ;-)

mrbishi

Juniors
Greenblooded said:
I think they look great this year. The thing that could really hurt them is injuries in key positions. The defence has been great and Witt and Monas are combining really well. They actually remind me a bit of the Storm in 99 when they had a great forward pack and really good halves combined with solid backs.

Any team that gets injuries in key positions is going to be in trouble. I just hope mona's has a injury free season this year, hes the key to how well we will go

lotti

Bench
if we had've played the bunnies instead of Canberra when Monas was ill he wouldn't have played, that's the kind of Manly man he is.

Fluffy

Juniors
Witt/willo

or burns/witt will play given an injury to monas.

Also Mullane is back in PL and finding his round 1 form from last year.

We have some good depth there.

Our centres have a lot of 3rd picks as i call them, ie centres at back up level for when one of your top 2 are injured. They are all really young bar tezza.

We will be centre hunting this silly season im sure.

The teams i have seen will do well and at worst sloly drop down the table. But top 4 is a possibility top 8 a very good chance.

Evergreen

Juniors
As with any team in the NRL, it will come down to injuries.

If Manly can remain relatively injury-free throughout the year, then they will be in the eight along with all the other injury-free teams.

Look at the top six - Eagles, Cowboys, Sharks, Broncos and Storm have most if not all of their top 25 to pick from. The Raiders were in the same boat until two weeks ago, now we will slide as 1/3 of our full-time squad are suffering long-term injuries.

In an inconsistent season, injuries are the ONLY constant.

lotti

Bench
also rep footy, that's why BK couldn't play against the bunnies and since Manly is the in form side of the season a few of our stars like Beaver and BK will be picked in the NSW side.

Mr Saab

Referee
Foz said:
Manly at home are one tough Footy team to beat.
That will be enough to get them in the finals.
Tough one against Brisbane this week but the Sharks battered the Broncos up a bit so its a good time to be playing them.

just like how manly are not going into the brisbane game with tuff games behind them.
Easy wins over the raiders and rabbits doesnt help.
Brisbane have had to come back from 12-0 in back to back games away from home. Brisbane know how to fight back...lets see if manly can.

RainMan

Juniors
I think Brisbane will win this week for exactly what Charlie has said. Manly has had 2 easy games in a row, their performance against the Bunnies was not something that had me very excited despite the scoreline.

RainMan

Juniors
It was at Brookie, if you didn't have 13+ on Manly against Canberra then you should have been shot.

Latest posts