What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

StGeorgeBull

Juniors
I'd encourage a citizens arrest of whoever had the idea to sign him if we got him to replace any one of our outside backs.

Don't rate him at all. You just can't have hands like that in the modern game, handling errors are that crucial.

And what annoys me more than the errors is his attitude. When my players f**k up I expect them to be as disappointed as I am as a fan. If a Dragons player giggled and smiled like he does after a f**kup I'd be pissed at them.

Last edited:

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I'd encourage a citizens arrest of whoever had the idea to sign him if we got him to replace any one of our outside backs.

Don't rate him at all. You just can't have hands like that in the modern game, handling errors are that crucial.

And what annoys me more than the errors is his attitude. When my players f**k up I expect them to be as disappointed as I am as a fan. If a Dragons player giggled and smiled like he does after a f**kup I'd be pissed at them.

This. One of the worst players in the game as far as I'm concerned.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I thought he handled Uate with ease last night.

Exactly.

There was poor old hack, broken down, one of the worst players in the game Manu Vatuvei last night on the big stage keeping pace with Akuila Uate no worries at all and providing more go forward in the middle of the park then any other player on the park to boot. Some people seem to have no comprehension of the gulf between a world class player with a few too many errors in his game, and a less error-prone player who is otherwise nowhere near that class.

Agree...Manu smiles and giggles when he stuffs up. Frustrating but it is just his nature.

gronkathon

First Grade
Best thing for Manu could be a change of club.

He looks way too comfortable in his position at the Warriors and a different structure could be what is needed to get the best out of him

beefstew

Juniors
Vatuvei is sitting on 20 errors for the season to date, the league average is 2.9.

He misses roughly 1 tackle for every 2 he makes, not to mention the constant mis-reads on defense
from a 140 game veteran.

He is the worst winger in the comp, by a long way....if Slater had as many errors in his game and
was as poor defensively, Bellamy would drop his ass like a sack of spuds, yet Vatuvei, who has
no real speed, no agility, no ball skills, holds his place on the wing...

The only thing he brings to the Warriors, are his frontrower like hit-ups ( when he can hold the ball),
if he looks like a prop, runs like a prop, and doesn't have the skills to play anywhere else...he's
probably a prop.

Iafeta

Referee
I find it quite funny that this comes off the back of the test match where he made one simple error, the other errors he made other players would have made, or possibly wouldn't have because they wouldn't have even been trying the play in the first place. He's criticised for that error, yet he kept one set going when throwing a Harry Houdini pass back in field when he's been gang tackled into touch, and gets another set for the Kiwis by somehow keeping a bomb thats going out on the full in field in goal for either a Kiwi to collect and score or an Australian to get caught and give back possession. The worst players by far for the Kiwis IMO were SKD who time and time again gave McInglis room to carve him up on the outside (cost them directly one try) and Adam Blair who I hardly noticed on the field until he threw a ridiculous pass to Bromwich on what would have been tackle 1 to turn the ball over.

A couple of other things I find interesting, the Warriors win 53% when he plays, well up on their average over the same time (considering there's 2009 and 2004 where he played and they were diabolical). It seems a fairly clear correlation to his importance to the team. In his last 45 first grade games he has 35 tries (bearing in mind he's had a few injuries in that period too), that's a pretty phenomenal strike rate for a winger who's supposedly busted that no one wants. He has always had an above average error rate, but then again, so do players like Matt Bowen and a number of others who consistently rank above him at seasons end on error rates, the reason these players do so is because they get involved more so than most in their position and are willing to try things to get a result. Its like comparing Feleti Mateo's error rate with Micheal Luck, they're both backrowers but I know who's trying to create more than the other. The comments that fans wouldn't want him at their club are fanciful, delusional and short sighted at best. He's had an ordinary start to the season but even out of form he handled Uate with consummate ease in the test match and provided enormous go forward for the Kiwis.

Iafeta

Referee
FTR, from the test match, he had the most metres gained by one player by 25 metres, averaging over 10 per run... 2 errors, one of which is unforced so to speak. I'll cop 2 errors for 173m from 17 runs any day of the week, as would all you blokes.

beefstew

Juniors
FTR, from the test match, he had the most metres gained by one player by 25 metres, averaging over 10 per run... 2 errors, one of which is unforced so to speak. I'll cop 2 errors for 173m from 17 runs any day of the week, as would all you blokes.

Sounds like a decent prop to me. Like more than a few kiwi's in our test history, his test form is far
far better than the crap he dish's up for the Warriors.

Iafeta

Referee
lol, what drivel. Manu's always been an integral part of the Warriors. As stated, 53% win rate with the club. Given he started in '03 and went through '04 and '09 debacles, that suggests well and truly to me he has am impact on the Warriors performances.

beefstew

Juniors
lol, what drivel. Manu's always been an integral part of the Warriors. As stated, 53% win rate with the club. Given he started in '03 and went through '04 and '09 debacles, that suggests well and truly to me he has am impact on the Warriors performances.

There's no question he has a impact on the Warriors performances... he plays in a position that touches the
ball among the least amount of times in a game, yet has more than double the errors of the next worst
offender, 7x's more than the league average, and has one of, if not the worst tackle percentage in the
competition. For a player with very limited talent (just size), he puts his team under constant
pressure far far too often for a supposedly professional sportsman.

Iafeta

Referee
You are kidding yourself. You state that he plays in a position that receives the ball least, if that's what you think Manu's club workrate is like then I'm not sure what you've been watching. Manu is involved in practically every set getting out from our half hitting it up, and he's the go-to player inside the opponents 20 metre zone... crikey, Ivan Cleary copped a tonne of criticism for in some seasons it seemed the only play he had was bomb-to-Manu.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
A few seasons back he was gunning for the top of the try scoring table table but his run was curtailed by injury (his knee was it?). Tries alone don't necessarily denote the quality of a player but in the context of the Warriors, Manu at his best has been one of their primary point scoring options - get him the ball close to the line and he would more often than not either get around defenders or carry them over the line. In some of the leaner seasons he has been the only way they could score points. His problems with his hands are well documented of course and I for one don't understand why such a big guy can't hold onto the ball a bit tighter. Yes he's prone to a really bad performance here and there and I think it's fair to say he's past his best, but he isn't the liability he's often made out to be.

Putting his football ability to one side for a moment, it's clear that he is a very important part of the social fabric of the team - on and off the field. He appears to have a very good standing in the team and is well liked by his teammates, he's always in the middle of group photos and whatnot. That may seem trivial but I believe a player like Manu contributes significantly to the team atmosphere and that's a lot to replace for an incoming player. There's a fine line of course between having a media darling, talismanic player and allowing them to become entrenched when their form has slipped.

Just f**king hold onto the ball is all I ask.

Skreepe

Juniors
There's no question he has a impact on the Warriors performances... he plays in a position that touches the
ball among the least amount of times in a game, yet has more than double the errors of the next worst
offender, 7x's more than the league average, and has one of, if not the worst tackle percentage in the
competition. For a player with very limited talent (just size), he puts his team under constant
pressure far far too often for a supposedly professional sportsman.

Why do i get a feeling you plucked that average out of your ass ? Who is included in this average ?

Manu would be a walk on starter for every club in the NRL.

LOL at some simpleton comparing him to Perrett and Morris.

Perrett cannot cross the line and Morris is only good for finishing the second man set plays that Boyd used to set-up.