What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
This is because you enjoy mediocrity.

Your posts and assertions are mediocre and I didn't enjoy them.

Your comment that Vatuvai is 'one of the worst in the league' is suffice evidence for me that you really don't know what you're talking about. 272 players run out in the NRL each week - is Vatuvai one of the worst of this lot? If we include wingers only that is 32 each week, again is Vatuvai the worst of these 32?

No. He remains in the top 5 wingers in the game and that is when he is out of form.

RABK

Referee
Quality player.

Uate is widely and correctly regarded as the worlds best winger by some margin. At his absolute best Manu is Uate on steroids and has schooled Uate a few times over the past couple of years. Can't say that about any other winger to come up against Uate.

Sure he is rocks and diamonds but if he drops the ball 3 times in a game consider that he has probably ran 100m further than his opposition winger who hasn't dropped the ball once. It's not like he ever goes into a shell - he's always making big metres for the Warriors out of their own end.

Last edited:

tangalife

Juniors
Did you see how hard repeatedly he ran into the teeth of the Kangaroos pack on Friday night? They're not shrinking violets, they're a hardcore pack of forwards.

As far as players gang tackling him, often he'll still get a decent play-the-ball opening up room on the edges for the likes of Mateo and Johnson to carve up.

I was at the game, which i always find harder than watching on TV to track how the players are going, also I was drinking which makes it even harder. Manu was getting up out of most of those hit ups in quite a bit of pain, he limped around alot

Radical Rat

Juniors
I'm a Tigers fan and I wouldn't have him. His constant mistakes outweigh anything else he does. He has to be the most uncoordinated player in the game.

Radical Rat

Juniors
I find it quite funny that this comes off the back of the test match where he made one simple error, the other errors he made other players would have made, or possibly wouldn't have because they wouldn't have even been trying the play in the first place. He's criticised for that error, yet he kept one set going when throwing a Harry Houdini pass back in field when he's been gang tackled into touch, and gets another set for the Kiwis by somehow keeping a bomb thats going out on the full in field in goal for either a Kiwi to collect and score or an Australian to get caught and give back possession. The worst players by far for the Kiwis IMO were SKD who time and time again gave McInglis room to carve him up on the outside (cost them directly one try) and Adam Blair who I hardly noticed on the field until he threw a ridiculous pass to Bromwich on what would have been tackle 1 to turn the ball over.

A couple of other things I find interesting, the Warriors win 53% when he plays, well up on their average over the same time (considering there's 2009 and 2004 where he played and they were diabolical). It seems a fairly clear correlation to his importance to the team. In his last 45 first grade games he has 35 tries (bearing in mind he's had a few injuries in that period too), that's a pretty phenomenal strike rate for a winger who's supposedly busted that no one wants. He has always had an above average error rate, but then again, so do players like Matt Bowen and a number of others who consistently rank above him at seasons end on error rates, the reason these players do so is because they get involved more so than most in their position and are willing to try things to get a result. Its like comparing Feleti Mateo's error rate with Micheal Luck, they're both backrowers but I know who's trying to create more than the other. The comments that fans wouldn't want him at their club are fanciful, delusional and short sighted at best. He's had an ordinary start to the season but even out of form he handled Uate with consummate ease in the test match and provided enormous go forward for the Kiwis.

What a load of shit. What has Manu ever tried to create? How the hell are you comparing him to Matty Bowen or Mateo? He's not making mistakes because he's trying to create playmaking opportunites for other players. He just makes simple handling errors every second touch.

It's pretty simple, he's a damaging ball runner with the worst hands and ball security in the history of the NRL.

Manu has a better workrate than Utai, think he'd be good in the forwards, and that would also eliminate a lot of his errors coming out of our end, in very bad field position. Dropping it in the attacking zone, trying to score, I can sort of live with an error. But not on the first or second tackle deep in our half.

Iafeta

Referee
What a load of shit. What has Manu ever tried to create? How the hell are you comparing him to Matty Bowen or Mateo? He's not making mistakes because he's trying to create playmaking opportunites for other players. He just makes simple handling errors every second touch.

It's pretty simple, he's a damaging ball runner with the worst hands and ball security in the history of the NRL.

Bollocks. A decent percentage of his errors come from the old Warriors tactic of bomb-to-Manu. He challenges on a tonne of bombs in the attacking third year in year out.

He has simple handling errors, but to suggest thats all he has, or that he doesn't get involved more than other wingers (also hitting the ball up more often as well) is straight out rubbish.

Izz

Bench
Quality player.

Uate is widely and correctly regarded as the worlds best winger by some margin. At his absolute best Manu is Uate on steroids and has schooled Uate a few times over the past couple of years. Can't say that about any other winger to come up against Uate.

Sure he is rocks and diamonds but if he drops the ball 3 times in a game consider that he has probably ran 100m further than his opposition winger who hasn't dropped the ball once. It's not like he ever goes into a shell - he's always making big metres for the Warriors out of their own end.
Quality post.

tangalife

Juniors
When Uate won Winger of the Year in 2010 I think it was, Manu was 2nd best. Manu also dominated Uate in their late season clash of the same year which IMO is what should have put Manu as winger of the year seeing as they were the two best in the game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've always loved Manu. And if he came, he'd instantly make our back-line look better:

1. Hayne
2. Vatuvei
3. Blair
4. W. Tonga
5. Sio

Not perfect - but that has plenty of strike-power (even if Hayne is injured and Tonga out of form).

I'd rather a winger that makes 100m a game and scores decent tries than a winger who makes 40m a game and falls over the line every couple of weeks.

The guy has been one of the top 3 or 4 wingers in the last 4-5 years.

I'd take him in a heartbeat, and that's not because the Eels are shit. There aren't too many wingers i'd prefer over him.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He (I) was f**king awesome tonight. Just reminded me how shit-hot he can look if he has a good night with his hands. I also can't recall the Warriors actually spreading the ball to his wing once the entire game?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Also, he was playing Matt Duffie tonight, the bloke who apparently should have replaced him in the Kiwis- at least, I think Duffie was playing.

Latest posts