What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Gasnier threads

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Gaz goes the last thing he needs is his fans and the club to turn on him and give him a hard time for the remainder of his time at the Dragons. On his day he is awesome and if fit and playing in the finals will be great for the club as he fires in the big games. Playing with fans giving him stick will not be ideal. Im sure he would love to end his time with an NRL premiership and will do what it takes to get one.

If he goes it is due to being cheated or short changed by big dollars and if anything shows he is not going to get bullied and pi##ed around by the NRL. If you were told you were gonna get $100,000 a year salary and they only paid you $50,000 you would be pi##ed too. Why is Gaz any different. I can understand his frustration and I too would not what to be part of an organisation that lies and cheats to their personnel.

If he goes the banners of "Thanks NRL for letting Gaz go".

By the way when was the last time Gaz was on Channel 9? If it was over 1 month ago then I would you assume it was them not coming to the party and paying him what he is owed.

By going out on a good note he may return in the futre. He still has a few years in front of him. Reason Baz didn't return was partly due to the Dragons fans. I would'nt want the same happening with Gaz.

redvscotty

First Grade
on his day? out of 38 possible days hes only turned up 15.

i agree that being short changed is a pain in the arse and would also not stand for it. but i wouldnt f**k about waiting to get paid. I'd tell my boss to stick it in their arse and walk out, then the gossiping that goes on behind the scenes would be squashed.

surely he couldve said, when he first had concerns, look doust you sack of sh*t. pay me or i dont run onto the field for a month. (turns out he may have done that afterall!)

j0nesy

Bench
If Gaz goes the last thing he needs is his fans and the club to turn on him and give him a hard time for the remainder of his time at the Dragons.

I agree, most of us aren't blaming Gaz, most are blaming the club for agreeing to such a weak contract. I can remember when the contract was signed - Gaz was threatening to leave league for union, there was talk about league not being able to afford to keep its star players because of the salary cap and then the White Knight (channel 9) stepped forward to offer a 3rd party supplement to the contract. The advantage for the club was that a 3rd party was assisting with the cost of a star player, the disadvantage, which we are seeing now, is that the club can be held to ransom if there is a dispute over the 3rd party supplement. The other weak point of the contract is this prelonged "get out" clause window.

Syren

Juniors
I think most ppl are over this Gasnier saga by now, we just want an end to it one way or the other.

j0nesy

Bench
I think most ppl are over this Gasnier saga by now, we just want an end to it one way or the other.

Spot on, the longer it goes on the worse it is for the club. No single player is bigger than the game, or even the club for that matter. The Dragons fans know that a relatively quick decision is best for the club hence the frustration shown by some fans.

Smartman

Juniors
Josh has signed for 3 years with Canterbury, will be a rep player.

Brett could be on the radar next year. :cool:

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
CHAMPION St George Illawarra centre Mark Gasnier is poised to turn his back on the NRL this week to take up a $1million contract to play rugby union in France.
He will join Penrith winger Luke Rooney and former Panthers captain Craig Gower in French rugby. Rooney last week accepted a lucrative $1.2million two-year deal to play with Toulon.
One of the NRL's best players, Gasnier is disillusioned with rugby league and has decided to take up a lucrative offer with Staid Francais because of the lifestyle in France.
He will link up with former Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie next season.
The Sunday Telegraph first revealed Gasnier's frustrations in April, when one of the game's best players became annoyed that the Dragons had failed to pay him $1million in third-party sponsorship money owed to him.
The international centre is set to finalise the two-year deal on Wednesday.
Related Links

The news comes as a number of NRL players, including Rooney, continue to explore the option of walking away from rugby league in Australia because of the money on offer in Europe, coupled with a less intrusive lifestyle.
Gasnier has not closed the door on a return to rugby league in a few years but for now he sees the opportunity of playing in France as an easier prospect to living in Australia.
It is understood the Dragons captain has become frustrated by what he sees as the fishbowl existence in Sydney.
French rugby union contracts must be registered by July 14, which is why Gasnier has opted to announce his decision now.

The move will shock a number of leading NRL players, especially with Gasnier considered a future NSW and Australian captain.

He's also the face of Australia's World Cup advertising and marketing campaign for this year.

It puts the ARL in an embarrassing position for the showpiece event in the code's centenary season in Australia.

Australian coach Ricky Stuart last week said Gasnier was the prime candidate to lead the Blues as they tried to stop Queensland winning a fourth straight State of Origin series in 2009.
Yesterday, Stuart said Gasnier's anticipated decision was a massive blow to both the ARL and NRL, who had poured their time and energy into grooming the Dragons skipper into a future leader of the Australian Test team.
"I've been a big supporter of Gaz, and that will always be the case,'' Stuart said.
"But what a waste and a shame in regards to the development of him becoming an integral member of the representative fixtures.
"I'm not neglecting the right of a player to make the most out of the game as possible, but with Danny Buderus' departure to the UK and as Darren Lockyer comes towards the back end of his career, Gaz is sitting on the cusp of a real opportunity.''
St George Illawarra coach Nathan Brown refused to weigh into the long-running contract saga.
Brown said his only focus was on preparing and focusing his team on this afternoon's important clash with the Raiders at WIN Stadium as the Dragons look to extend their winning streak to eight.
"I spoke to Mark on Monday and asked him if he was right for Sunday,'' Brown said.
"By that, I mean both his physical and mental application for what is such an important game for us.
"He assured me he was 100 per cent focused on leading the team ... and as far as his future is concerned he didn't reveal anything at all to me.''
With the spotlight certain to follow his every move this afternoon, Gasnier is likely to defend on the wing and be used at fullback in attack.

the only thing that pisses me off is we lost Josh, we have more games this year with josh in the centres.
icon8.gif

See ya gaz!..miss ya step but not your defense..oh no..wait..stayyyyyyy!..but in all seriousness what a fantastic player to have to go like this.Bet he comes back

Dragon_psa

First Grade
See ya gaz!..miss ya step but not your defense..oh no..wait..stayyyyyyy!..but in all seriousness what a fantastic player to have to go like this.Bet he comes back

Just as long as when he does come back, he doesn't do a Baz and sign with the Scum. Sad to see you go, Gaz. Good luck.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Josh has signed for 3 years with Canterbury, will be a rep player.

Brett could be on the radar next year. :cool:
geeze all that talent and second last, i hopw you guys start to perform or you loose sbw and josh morris , they wont stay. four or not

Syren

Juniors
I guess Gaz didnt do us favours because of the timing, we lost Josh. Bloody ridiculous clauses.

Russo

Juniors
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Wata wank, we lose Morris cause we cant afford him then this dickhead decides he wants to go to France. Why couldn't he make up his mind earlier insted of making us go through all this crap and distractions etc etc... rediculous! I hope he loses his captaincy for this...... We better off having someone that WANTS to play and is COMMITED to the side... so angry atm...

j0nesy

Bench
Yep according to channel 10 news Gaz has officially defected. Surprisingly I'm quite happy, I'm glad all the speculation has ended and the Dragons can concentrate on the remainder of the season.

Nothing personal but the Dragons need to strip Gaz of the captaincy and allow someone else to take the reigns. I really hope we can convince Josh Morris to renig on his Bulldogs deal. Melbourne were able to do it with Turner and Penrith with Lewis. Hopefully we can also pickup a couple of good signings such as Boyd, Taylor and Priddis and/or that Newcastle halfback.

Dragons_#1

Bench
hey,

Guys as soon as gaz announces's it himself, u watch the same day or next day boyd will sign, priddis will sign and i think teo will sign(maybe)!!! everything has gone quiet regarding our signings since gaz has dominated the media!!
After watching gaz on sunday, boyd will be able to fill the gap in the centres easily!! very solid player!

Kiki

First Grade
i hate to say it but good riddance. i used to absolutely adore him now my blood boils everytime his name his brought up. i know its not all his fault and i understand why hes going...but it still hurts and i think he is now a negative influence on our team.

in the end he is only one player. one that gets injured alot and sometimes turns in absolute shockers of performances like yesterdays.

Latest posts