What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marketing and promotion

Burns

First Grade
You know what should/needs to happen? Commercials airing during the NRL Finals/Grand Final day.

I got an email about volunteer stuff for set up events outside the Finals games this weekend, 'see the trophy' and all that. But really need to start a push on tv etc.

Billythekid

First Grade
Unlikely to see ads during the finals. Nine aren't showing the World Cup and it costs big bickies to show ads in the GF. Hope it does happen though. Also after the finish of the season hopefully Foxtel and seven start promoting it.

Are Foxtel still not getting any games? It's a shame because if they were I feel like they would really promote the World Cup. In the absence of the NRL and AFL they could really use the content.

I really like this piece. Rarely do they get these things right but this is amazing! Well done.

Spot on.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Are Foxtel still not getting any games? It's a shame because if they were I feel like they would really promote the World Cup. In the absence of the NRL and AFL they could really use the content.

Apparently Foxtel are NOT getting any games – and I totally agree that if they were, they would really be promoting the World Cup.

As it is, RLWC is not even putting ads in the Daily Telegraph or Sunday Telegraph, which are read by squllions of RL fans …

Billythekid

First Grade
Apparently Foxtel are NOT getting any games – and I totally agree that if they were, they would really be promoting the World Cup.

As it is, RLWC is not even putting ads in the Daily Telegraph or Sunday Telegraph, which are read by squllions of RL fans …

That's what I thought and it's a shame. I think fox would promote it heavily but also I think it would help viewership a lot. Hopefully 7 is paying a lot for us to not give anything to fox

Billythekid

First Grade
Ironically, they probably gave all of the games to a FTA station for MORE exposure...

Which I can understand. Problem is I can't see all of the games being shown and many will be shoved onto the secondary channels and ignored. Simulcasting with fox would have been better I think. I'm surprised this happened really as you would think fox would definitely come to the table.

It's hard to say without knowing the money involved.

morningstar

Juniors
7 paid $10 million for the exclusive rights in Australia including free-to-air broadcast television and subscription television rights, online and mobile. Foxtel were in negotiations to simulcast but couldn't reach an agreement.

They also confirmed to broadcast all games live. Imagine it will be a mix of the main channel and 7mate.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
7 paid $10 million for the exclusive rights in Australia including free-to-air broadcast television and subscription television rights, online and mobile. Foxtel were in negotiations to simulcast but couldn't reach an agreement.

They also confirmed to broadcast all games live. Imagine it will be a mix of the main channel and 7mate.
It should be solid coverage of the Cup which is great , but they need to get going selling tickets

Golden point

Juniors
Looks like everyone is a bit anxious about promotion.
Let's think logically:
How far out from a game are most tickets sold ? 1 week or 2 ?
How far out before interest starts to build? Maybe 2 weeks ?
We should be greatful that they are using money for promotion with the best bang for their buck in mind given that the battle for the premiership is still underway. If they aren't promoting this thing hard a week after the gf then by all means whinge.

morningstar

Juniors
Port of Townsville trying to get a US Navy ship in town for the US games...

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...p/news-story/48bea461d1cbaebb4eed8179f7090343

PLANS have been revealed to lure a US Navy ship to the city for next month’s Rugby League World Cup.

The move is part of a push to bring more military vessels to Townsville to coincide with major events, including the rugby league tournament and next year’s Commonwealth Games.

In a submission to the Senate committee inquiry into the impact of Defence training activities and facilities on rural and regional communities, Port of Townsville operations and logistics general manager Jacob Kalma told of plans to enhance Defence’s experience in the city.

“The Townsville White and Grey Ship Attraction Committee, for which the Port of Townsville provides a chair, works to ensure defence vessels visiting Townsville are made aware of all the wonderful tourism opportunities that are available in our region,” Mr Kalma’s submission read.

“The committee is also working on establishing regular annual events with Navy, such as exhibition rugby games, to increase the navy’s participation in the social aspects of Townsville.”

The US World Cup team will play pool matches in Townsville on October 28 and November 5.

Townsville Enterprise tourism and event executive manager Bridget Woods said the tournament presented the city with an opportunity to lure a US Navy ship for some leisure time.

“We are working with Townsville City Council and the mayor’s office to invite navy ships here for particular events,” she said. “The Rugby League World Cup is relevant to countries we might be targeting and the US team participating is a good opportunity that has presented itself.”

Ms Woods said that while commercial in-confidence prevented her revealing how official invitations would be sent, she admitted it was a complicated process.

She said that, while there was an immediate focus on the US, other countries such as Singapore would also be a future target for invitations.

“It’s not easy. There is a political process that needs to be undertaken that requires the support of the local, state and federal governments,” she said. “There are definitely relationships we want to grow.”

Ms Woods said July’s Exercise Talisman Sabre provided the largest-scale opportunity to date for TEL to pass on tourism and local business information to the personnel aboard Australian, New Zealand and US ships that visited the region.

Port of Townsville spokeswoman Sharon Hoops said the upcoming $193 million Channel Capacity Upgrade was crucial to promoting confidence in captains that the city could accommodate larger military vessels.

In July, the captains of the USNS Charles Drew (210m) and USNS Richard E. Byrd (210m) were too “uncomfortable” to dock at the port, with the Richard E. Byrd instead anchoring off Magnetic Island.

“We have a current capacity for vessels up to 238m but once the channel dredging is complete, we will be able to host ships larger than 300m,” Ms Woods said. “This is important because Northern Australia needs to have an alliance-friendly port.”

The USS Greenbay is about 208m, USS Bonhomme Richard 257m, while the Singapore ships are 141m long.

morningstar

Juniors
Got the following from the Warriors membership team last night, assume it went to all other members too...

Get your tickets to the Rugby League World Cup during September and be in to win!

There are seven games across New Zealand and with affordable ticket prices – it’s easy to support the Kiwis as they take on the world.

All those who buy through Ticketek in September go into the draw to win the ultimate fan prize including a signed Kiwis jersey and an official Rugby League World Cup ball.

Tickets start from $45 for a family of four, $20 for adults and $10 for children and students (with student ID).

Be there to feel the hits and soak up the atmosphere as the Kiwis, Samoa, Tonga and Scotland battle it out in the Rugby League World Cup.

morningstar

Juniors
NZ competition for school kids to walk out with the match day 17 on game day bearing some media fruit. Just need to send the memo out banning the "dab" during the anthems....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-tim...7242817/tokoroa-students-to-join-league-stars

Tokoroa students to join league stars

When Sharlene Salale got the call to say Tokoroa Amisfield School was one of 14 to win the Walk Out With The World's Best competition she was understandably surprised.

She was one of 600 teachers to apply for the contest, that will see students from just 14 schools walk out with the international teams at the Rugby League World Cup 2017.

"I had the opportunity to select 17 students based on resilience and leadership who will run out onto the field with a Rugby League World Cup team during their Hamilton Stadium game in November," she said.

"When they told me I said "oh my gosh really". I couldn't believe we were one of the lucky ones to have won from 600 applicants," she said.

While the exact game the students will attend hasn't yet been finalised it will either be Samoa vs Tonga on Saturday, November 4 or New Zealand vs Tonga on Saturday, November 11.

Salale said the students, who are in Years Five to Eight, have each received personalised invitations to attend.

"They are pretty rapt' and have been bringing me their permission slips," she said.

"We also get to take some parents as well but we are still waiting to find out how many we can take."

"It is very exciting and they are all very keen," she said.

She said the experience will also be used as a learning tool.

"We are going to use it as part of our curriculum planning for next term for leadership and sport," she said.

"It is pretty neat for our town."

Rugby League World Cup 2017 chief executive Andrew Hill said he was pleased by the excitement surrounding this year's tournament.

"We're delighted to be able to give children across New Zealand this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to walk out with the world's best players during the biggest rugby league event New Zealand has ever hosted," he said.

The other 13 schools to win the opportunity include Redoubt North Primary, Edmonton Primary School, Whenuapai School, Star of the Sea School (Auckland), Leamington School, Tauranga Intermediate, Te Kura Kaupapa Maori o Toku Mapihi Maurea (Hamilton), Avalon Primary School, Pukeatua Primary School (Wellington), Banks Ave School, Haeata Community Campus, Temuka Primary School, and Halswell School (Christchurch).

deluded pom?

Coach
Got the following from the Warriors membership team last night, assume it went to all other members too...

Get your tickets to the Rugby League World Cup during September and be in to win!

There are seven games across New Zealand and with affordable ticket prices – it’s easy to support the Kiwis as they take on the world.

All those who buy through Ticketek in September go into the draw to win the ultimate fan prize including a signed Kiwis jersey and an official Rugby League World Cup ball.

Tickets start from $45 for a family of four, $20 for adults and $10 for children and students (with student ID).

Be there to feel the hits and soak up the atmosphere as the Kiwis, Samoa, Tonga and Scotland battle it out in the Rugby League World Cup.
Nice reward for the people who booked their tickets before September.

Those stats are going to open is up to ridicule. Sure the naziballers do it, but gee it looks like a lot of hyperbole and, dare I say, bullshit. 134 million viewers? I don't know how they came up with this figure but it's hard to imagine how it could be even nearly doable.

Latest posts