What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marsh Open to Offers

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Does anyone know if we are instigating the move to offload Marsh to free up money and we believe we have alternatives or that Marsh wants out because he wants more game time or more cash. I have heard mainly the latter but it appears to me that Marsh is enjoying his footy at the moment especally now that he is starting. The team balance is really good with Riddell coming off the bench and also playing as a back rower so Marsh is playing a lot of game time as desired. Hence I would be very reluctant to let Marsh go he is a very important cog in our team structure at the moment with Riddell's new roles and the team is showing the results.

If we are struggling with cap money surely that would have eased a little over the last couple of days with Cannings and Blake leaving. If he is really unhappy at the club I suppose we don't want to keep unhappy players at the club but he seems far from unhappy to me and we are granting his current requests of starting and extra game time. If we wants a bit more cash I would possibly even look at a small upgrade in his contract due to his current importance to the team. I don't think he would be on massive money as he was under that neck injury cloud when we signed him

Stagger eel

Staff member
It is very difficult to get any inside information about what's happening PJ and the club, infact it's difficult to get any information at all, i'm under the impression that he's still got his options open however I'm also confident that the club know what exactly is going on and that they have their bases covered whatever way it falls.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
When I first heard the news about PJ, I wasn't too concerned as I thought he was very replaceable. However after watching the last couple of games and seeing the roles PJ and Riddell are playing and playing extremely well and the effect it having on the team I am now concerned. I think we should desperately try and hold onto PJ if we wish to keep the playing with the successful structure we are currently playing with.

Sorry if I am repeating myself but I was trying to gauge peoples opinions on the matter and if they believe PJ is expendable or they would try and keep PJ and continue with our current structure

Bigfella

Coach
Three things have happened since PJ was granted permission to negotiate:

1. Matt Keating was re-signed. Every player re-signed puts pressure on those remaining.
2. Both PJ and Piggy's form has steadily improved.
3. PJ has been regularly starting.
4. Our form has improved markedly

These all cloud the issues.

1 might mean the club don't believe we need another hooking option.
2 might mean the club want to hold on to PJ given that he can potentially play other positions as well; or alternatively Riddell could be considered a backrower exclusively.
3. He may be more interested in pursuing the current arrangement
4. the clubs he is reported to have been talking to - Bris, Souths, Dogs - may not seem as attractive by comparison

My guess is no one is much the wiser!

eel01s

Bench
Too be honest I am not sure how I feel about the possibility of PJ leaving. On the one hand he is playing well at the moment, and gives us a bit of mongrel on the field, and definitely plays above his weight. He adds another kicking option too.

On the other, sometimes his dummy half service is slow (but he is far better than Riddell in this regard).

So I guess I would say keep him, but not at the expense of locking up more juniors coming through. As Eelavation keeps saying, no one really knows what salary cap pressure we are under, and how much PJ really wants. My feeling is, with the new under 20s comp next year, all clubs will be targeting good juniors at an earlier stage and try and bring them on into first grade asap (providing they produce) in order to relieve cap pressure. If PJ can be happy and still fit under the cap, then sign him.

It certainly looks as though our club has identified who they want to stay, and who is to be let go, but there are probably still a few they are undecided on.

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
eel01s said:
Too be honest I am not sure how I feel about the possibility of PJ leaving. On the one hand he is playing well at the moment, and gives us a bit of mongrel on the field, and definitely plays above his weight. He adds another kicking option too.

On the other, sometimes his dummy half service is slow (but he is far better than Riddell in this regard).

So I guess I would say keep him, but not at the expense of locking up more juniors coming through. As Eelavation keeps saying, no one really knows what salary cap pressure we are under, and how much PJ really wants. My feeling is, with the new under 20s comp next year, all clubs will be targeting good juniors at an earlier stage and try and bring them on into first grade asap (providing they produce) in order to relieve cap pressure. If PJ can be happy and still fit under the cap, then sign him.

It certainly looks as though our club has identified who they want to stay, and who is to be let go, but there are probably still a few they are undecided on.

could matt keating and the pig still play a similar game/roles if they were the hooking partners. would we be minus that mongrel. how is matt keating tackle wise, can he or does he have that mongrel?

Stagger eel

Staff member
NT_Eelsfan said:
could matt keating and the pig still play a similar game/roles if they were the hooking partners. would we be minus that mongrel. how is matt keating tackle wise, can he or does he have that mongrel?

he doiesn't have that aggresion in his game, however he does give good ball from acting half and can be pretty dangerous around the ruck area.

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
sif PJs hit on hodgson didnt make the nrl.com hits better than carrols

id like to see PJ stay but if he doesnt we need to blood Matt asap

Eelementary

Post Whore
Anyone have any updates?

He said he wanted to play more minutes - well, with Pig coming off the bench I'd imagine he's playing more football now. Plus Pig is being used as more of a ball-running forward now, making PJ our pretty much excluxive dummy-half option.

He said there's a more than 50% chance he'll stay at Parramatta.

And I think the 3 weeks we gave him have passed already (or am I wrong about that?).

So - anyone know how PJ is feeling? Is he happy to stay? Itching to leave?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Anyone have any updates?

He said he wanted to play more minutes - well, with Pig coming off the bench I'd imagine he's playing more football now. Plus Pig is being used as more of a ball-running forward now, making PJ our pretty much excluxive dummy-half option.

He said there's a more than 50% chance he'll stay at Parramatta.

And I think the 3 weeks we gave him have passed already (or am I wrong about that?).

So - anyone know how PJ is feeling? Is he happy to stay? Itching to leave?

you'd know as much as us, Parramatta aren't a club that's exactly open and transparent when it comes to information regarding negotiations, contracts and signings, they keep things very much close to their chest.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's cool mate. Just checking - my Internet connection was slow as yesterday, and it would have taken me forever to raed through all the pages. So I thought I'd ask in case I missed something.

And yeah - I do remember reading an article where PJ said there's a more than 50% chance he'll stay at the Eels. Just have to wait and see.

Phillips

Referee
i dont understand how we could let go of our best hooker, and one of the top hookers in the comp... and we are gonna replace him with who? a reserve grade? pfft

dazeely

First Grade
surely if he wasn't snatched up pretty much straight away then it looks good for us. The longer the better because other clubs are quickly eating into their cap. PJ wouldn't be cheap especially if the new club would have to pay him out. Surely our club wouldn't be that stupid not to have that as a part of the clause for him to break the contract.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I have a feeling if we want to keep PJ (which I hope we do) we will keep him. He is now getting what he was after which was a starting spot and more game time, seems to be enjoying his footy and probably does not really wish to leave to the club unless he has to. I believe the club has all the say in this decision now especially as he is still under contract. The only reason that I can see us letting him leave is that we are struggling with the salary cap which I believe has been partially solved with Cannings and Green leaving

Utey

Coach
dazeely said:
surely if he wasn't snatched up pretty much straight away then it looks good for us. The longer the better because other clubs are quickly eating into their cap. PJ wouldn't be cheap especially if the new club would have to pay him out. Surely our club wouldn't be that stupid not to have that as a part of the clause for him to break the contract.

Thats what I'm hoping for atm. It seems as if he hasn't already been snatched up, he might not at all.

Latest posts