What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mary pulling stats out of his backside

TruSaint

Referee
That link does not work. Can’t find the story on their website or their Facebook page.

Its not fake news. Dont know why the link doesnt work. I have attached the article below.

RUGBY LEAGUE
  • 03/09/2018
NRL round 25 results and highlights: The Weekend Hangover
Like David Middleton on the Footy Show, Paul McGregor was pulling out stats from his backside.
ShareShareShare

Written By ADAM LUCIUS@Lush178
Another entertaining round of NRL football is in the books in what is shaping as one of the most unpredictable footy seasons in years.

After keeping a close eye on all the upsets, action and drama from round 25, The Weekend Hangover is back to wrap it all up.

MORE: Proof: Manly HAVEN'T cancelled Mad Monday

Mary McGregor storms into radio box to have his say
Bizarre scenes at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday when St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor left the coaching box to march into an adjacent radio box to make a point straight after full-time.

Jimmy Smith and McGregor’s one-time teammate Shaun Timmins were discussing the Dragons’ gritty win over Newcastle on NRL Nation Radio when the door suddenly swung open.

“He charged into our commentary box – we were still on air – and he was pointing to some of the stats,” Smith said.

“Some of the stats were just incredible. They (Saints) only had 35 per cent of the ball in the first half…it ended up at 44 per cent to 56 to the Knights at the end.

“And they made 400 tackles and the Knights made 285…that says a lot.

“The effort is what he (McGregor) would have been most pleased with and understandably so.”

We’re not sure what prompted Mary’s visit, but perhaps he wasn’t happy with the radio boys’ dissection of his team’s performance.

Mitchell Moses trolled over wooden spoon ‘win’
Parramatta’s Mitchell Moses is being haunted by comments he made prior to leaving Wests Tigers to link with the Eels.

Days before he made the jump last season, the halfback told the media: “You obviously want to be in a team that is winning games and pushing for the title.

"First thing is I want to be playing good footy in a good footy side.

"Being (at the Tigers) the last three or four years, (we were) bottom every year. It takes its toll on you.

"Money is the last thing on my mind. First thing is I want to be playing good footy in a good footy side."

Moses did get to play finals football last year, but he couldn’t have been further away just 12 months later.

The wooden spoon is obviously not what he had in mind when he said he wanted to ‘win things’ after leaving the Tigers.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
What an utter embarrassment this guy is.

He is an imposter with only one thing in mind. Saving my own butt.

Who takes stats into a commentary box and decides to use it to explain his brain dead thoughts.

How about Mary you display the stats for the games we should have won yet got blown away by a team who won the wooden spoon and another team who were readying up for mad Monday celebrations at 4.45pm Sunday afternoon.

You are an embarrassment to this club and the sooner you move on from this club the better the team shall be and the better person you shall be.

It’s simple You gave coaching a shot my 2 year old nephew has worked out your not a coach and there is no shame in it. You had a crack you are not made for it.

Move on mate and let us remember you as that centre rather than the 2nd worse thing to happen to this club club. The first was of course one Steven Price.

I was a yearly ticket holder and a game day sponsor and refuse to do so again until you are gone.

And by the way take that imbecile Sean O’Conner or whatever his name is with you.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Can u confirm now its not fake news ?

Can u accept the fact, that indeed Mary busted into a commentary box and lost his mind?

YOU calling it fake news doesnt make it so. Try as you will.

Glad you confirmed that Tru....now that youve done that mate I suggest you do what I and some others have done on here put M m G on the dont reply to list....forums are all about discussing and commenting on this great game of ours whether we are right or wrong and whether we agree or disagree....but this person thats only been a member for 5 mins imo is just a stirrer and imo goes out of his way to bait people...cheers

Last edited:

st penguin

Juniors
Can u confirm now its not fake news ?

Can u accept the fact, that indeed Mary busted into a commentary box and lost his mind?

YOU calling it fake news doesnt make it so. Try as you will.

To be fair - you posted a weird link that didn’t go anywhere.

And the article itself was pretty half arsed with very few “facts” as you call them. I mean it doesn’t say “he lost his mind”.

At a guess, he is more likely to have heard them speaking through the wafer thin walls. It’s only a guess because the article gives scant details.

I’m sick of Mary as coach. But I still remain very sceptical of stories like these. Journos have to fill up inches - don’t get suckered in.

TruSaint

Referee
To be fair - you posted a weird link that didn’t go anywhere.

And the article itself was pretty half arsed with very few “facts” as you call them. I mean it doesn’t say “he lost his mind”.

At a guess, he is more likely to have heard them speaking through the wafer thin walls. It’s only a guess because the article gives scant details.

I’m sick of Mary as coach. But I still remain very sceptical of stories like these. Journos have to fill up inches - don’t get suckered in.

The link I posted was the link provided. Im sorry, I dont know why sometimes the links revert to this "no spam" crap.

As to the article, it is has not been rebuked by Mary, and has people like J Smith being quoted.

I will say this, If Mary straight after a game had to in fact ( assuming its true as u say ) run into a radio commentary box and dispute stats, then in my opinion he is losing it. The pressure is getting to him.

His history of rambling on with stats in pressers, would lead me to believe the article.

TruSaint

Referee
Glad you confirmed that Tru....now that youve done that mate I suggest you do what I and some others have done on here put M m G on the dont reply to list....forums are all about discussing and commenting on this great game of ours whether we are right or wrong and whether we agree or disagree....but this person thats only been a member for 5 mins imo is just a stirrer and imo goes out of his way to bait people...cheers

Done. Thx. Good advice.

st penguin

Juniors
His history of rambling on with stats in pressers, would lead me to believe the article.

Earlier in the year he was asked whether he gave he gave the halves more leeway to ad lib in attack this year.

He just started rambling until they literally told him to stop speaking. In short, his strategy is 3 hit-ups and then pass the ball.

I swear every team is onto this by now. We get no room to move because they know they can rush up in attack - it’s always one out shit for the first three tackles.

TruSaint

Referee
Earlier in the year he was asked whether he gave he gave the halves more leeway to ad lib in attack this year.

He just started rambling until they literally told him to stop speaking. In short, his strategy is 3 hit-ups and then pass the ball.

I swear every team is onto this by now. We get no room to move because they know they can rush up in attack - it’s always one out shit for the first three tackles.

agree 100%.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Who takes stats into a commentary box and decides to use it to explain his brain dead thoughts.

How about Mary you display the stats for the games we should have won yet got blown away by a team who won the wooden spoon and another team who were readying up for mad Monday celebrations at 4.45pm Sunday afternoon.

You are an embarrassment to this club and the sooner you move on from this club the better the team shall be and the better person you shall be.

It’s simple You gave coaching a shot my 2 year old nephew has worked out your not a coach and there is no shame in it. You had a crack you are not made for it.

Move on mate and let us remember you as that centre rather than the 2nd worse thing to happen to this club club. The first was of course one Steven Price.

I was a yearly ticket holder and a game day sponsor and refuse to do so again until you are gone.

And by the way take that imbecile Sean O’Conner or whatever his name is with you.
I think this shit stain is worse.....certainly harder to remove

watatank

Coach

Agree with the sentiment but McGregor as coach is much worse than Price.

Price was not up to the job but he did the best job he could in difficult circumstances. Signed with little faith but did the best he could and eventually was removed.

McGregor 'reluctantly' took over but has pretty much been talking his way into contract extensions ever since. Even now it might only take one finals win and a decent start next season and he could extend that stay to a decade.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Price was not up to the job but he did the best job he could in difficult circumstances. Signed with little faith but did the best he could and eventually was removed.

McGregor 'reluctantly' took over but has pretty much been talking his way into contract extensions ever since. Even now it might only take one finals win and a decent start next season and he could extend that stay to a decade.
And he's got a much better roster than price had

Warabrook saint

Juniors

So fckuing depressing.....

dannyt

Coach

The board must be completely gullible if mary convinces them he knows what he's doing.

Makes me wonder if all board members have bought the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

possm

Coach
The board must be completely gullible if mary convinces them he knows what he's doing.

Makes me wonder if all board members have bought the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
I'm fairly sure it would be the CEO who makes the recommendation to the Board. Right now, there will be no recommendation unless Doust/Johnstone believe we should terminate Mary's contract. You would think that if this is the case, the CEO would also recommend Mary's replacement and contract terms for the new coach.

My man Gasnier

Juniors
I'm fairly sure it would be the CEO who makes the recommendation to the Board. Right now, there will be no recommendation unless Doust/Johnstone believe we should terminate Mary's contract. You would think that if this is the case, the CEO would also recommend Mary's replacement and contract terms for the new coach.

"Fairly sure". No speculation please.