What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Rugby league, your image stinks, fix it.

Nuts

Juniors

Not indeed.
In QLD and NSW where League is No. 1, it gets the most coverage. Go and read a Melbourne paper and see how much coverage AFL scandals gets - F**king heaps!! League barley rates a mention in their papers. Journos are journos, no what sport they report on. Aynthing to sell a paper!

Thomas

First Grade
Can guarantee that the AFL player rape charge would have been the lead story on Melbourne news last night.

FFS, AFL judiciary results are often the lead TV story down there.

BrisbaneRhino

Juniors
Mascord is spot on. I can't believe the amount of head-in-the-sand reaction to this.

If large parts of the RL community continue to think that this is all the media's fault for reporting events, then the sport will be in exactly the same position ten years from now.

Perhaps the saddest comment on this thread was blaming non-RL fans for their perception of the game - why don't they find out more? Really??? I suppose whoever came out with that gem has a full understanding of everything that happens throughout the world and has never had their opinion made on any topic based on a less than complete understanding?

Its bullsh*t - that's how most people's opinions are made on most topics. Look at many RL fans' views of other sports on here for example - prejudiced and one-eyed doesn't come close - Gay AFL, Union is a posh man's game, wendyball etc. I laugh at those stereotypes because I'm an RL fan. But I'm also well aware that almost everyone I know views RL as a game played by and watched by bogans. RL is a product with a bad image. You can't blame the people that believe that - responsibility to change that perception lies with the sport itself.

At the moment we're in a vicious cycle of idiotic event-media report-bad image-idiotic event etc etc. We're guaranteed that some idiot player will do something else the media picks up on at some time fairly soon. You can't break the cycle by asking the media to stop reporting on events. You also can't just tell people who aren't fans that their perception is wrong.

What RL CAN do, is work on the culture within the sport - starting by cracking down on players until the events start drying up. If that means apparently harsh penalties for "bringing the game into disrepute" then sobeit. The only way to turn round an image problem (which is like turning an oil tanker) is to be shown to be cracking down hard on players. That should lead to at least a few of them thinking twice before being morons, and start getting stories into the media about how tough RL is on these sort of activities, rather than the acts themselves.

You might also just find that players are able to control themseleves better off the field if they know they'll be harshly dealt with. We've seen the ban on punching see it almost disappear from the NRL, yet I clearly recall people saying how it was "impossible" to stop in the heat of the moment. Yet punching was considered by some to be part of the RL "culture". It goes to show that you can stop even the biggest meathead if the message is simple and strong enough.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's hardly head in the sand stuff. Lets get 100 18-24 years of varying jobs and watch them on their time off. The stuff being done will be very similar to what these scandals are. Aside from the Lui, Ferguson etc most is very minor overall but the need to be held higher so get punished accordingly

firechild

First Grade
This thread is a clear indication of where rugby league is at. A clear divide between the bogans that think the media are all at fault and those who think the few dropkicks like Carney, Myles, Dugan, Fergo and Packer are doing severe damage to the reputation of the NRL and rugby league in general.

There are dropkicks in rugby union but not enough people care for it to make headlines. Their relative obscurity amongst the Australian population makes them appear to be more well behaved. There are dropkicks in the AFL but they've got the media in their pockets so the repercussions are less severe. The NRL as a whole need to take heed of the fact that it is a high profile sport with a waiting pack of wolves in the media ready to jump on every indiscretion. Sure, the media do a lot of damage to the game but in most cases, the stories are spoon fed to them by idiots doing stupid things.

As has been mentioned by others, perception is more important to the health of the game than reality. If the public perceive that rugby league is dangerous, it will affect junior numbers, if the public perceive that the NRL is full of deadshits who drink their own urine and shit in hallways then fewer new fans will be attracted to the game. The only way to change the perception is to change the reality. There might be 20:1 good guys to bad guys but Joe average who either isn't an NRL fan or is a casual observer is going to see the 1 in the media far more than he sees the 20.

The other thing about perception is that observational bias will confirm perceptions rather than change them. Rugby league was the working class game, rugby union was the upper class game and Aussie Rules the "Australian game". Every time someone sees an NRL dickhead in the news, this perception is reaffirmed. The NRL needs to make itself look better than AFL and RU, not simply strive to be on the same level because otherwise perceptions will always keep it one step below in people's minds.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
^ some of us, in fact most of us, are taking a nuanced approach to the issue only to be hosed by simpletons who come in on their chargers of having all the answers. This thread is actually one of the best discussions I've seen in my time on LU. Can we not insult each other :) and instead just be constructive?

oikee

Juniors
Everyone knows what is wrong with rugby league. Weak leadership, players being allowed to get away with awful behaviour and then re-instated at another club. Ferguson will come back to haunt rugby league next year. The code never learns.
They need to use the divorce technigue, once it is over, it is over, she is not coming back.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
It's hardly head in the sand stuff. Lets get 100 18-24 years of varying jobs and watch them on their time off. The stuff being done will be very similar to what these scandals are. Aside from the Lui, Ferguson etc most is very minor overall but the need to be held higher so get punished accordingly

I think NRL players do need to be held to higher standards, it's a sad fact of life. The code is at a disadvantage and needs the players to understand that. The AFL (despite being a shit game) have benefited from stronger management over the last few decades and are a behemoth, Union with their private school foundation do have corporate support, (despite being a shit game). Even soccer (shit game) is growing

League, despite being the greatest, has an uphill battle against these competitors and needs all of it's ducks in a row. The players are one of those ducks. I think all Mascord is trying to do with this article is make them aware of that. It's a necessity that we aim higher

gUt

Coach
Without wanting to derail the thread, here's a couple of questions for those who want to instantly ban any player who steps out of line.

1) The families of the player, his kids etc, depend on the player earning an income. "he should have thought of that first" etc, true. But for a first offense is it always reasonable to come down hard? I'm not talking about criminal convictions here, although there are degrees of severity here too (eg speeding vs assault). If we really want the NRL to have a blanket no-tolerance policy, there will be collateral damage.

2) As someone else mentioned, good news/redemption stories are possible and in fact can be used as a great marketing tool for the code. There are several top line players whose lives have been figuratively and sometimes literally saved by playing professional RL. Would these players be considered as too bad, so sad if they were never given another shot?

franklin2323

Immortal
I think NRL players do need to be held to higher standards, it's a sad fact of life. The code is at a disadvantage and needs the players to understand that. The AFL (despite being a shit game) have benefited from stronger management over the last few decades and are a behemoth, Union with their private school foundation do have corporate support, (despite being a shit game). Even soccer (shit game) is growing

League, despite being the greatest, has an uphill battle against these competitors and needs all of it's ducks in a row. The players are one of those ducks. I think all Mascord is trying to do with this article is make them aware of that. It's a necessity that we aim higher

I have no problem with players breaching an image getting the sack. It's great we haven't registered Ferguson. Players get all sort of training but there are just drop kicks out there. As Hayne said in that pre origin thing. Every Houso block has a field and sport of choice is RL.

Within a few years a player can be from there to playing 1st grade. Most of them have got the acting like a dick out by then and are more like Cameron Smith, Luke Lewis etc rather then a Carney.

I would much rather have the odd dick then the cheating that is going on in cricket or Murderers winning Super Bowls

franklin2323

Immortal
Without wanting to derail the thread, here's a couple of questions for those who want to instantly ban any player who steps out of line.

1) The families of the player, his kids etc, depend on the player earning an income. "he should have thought of that first" etc, true. But for a first offense is it always reasonable to come down hard? I'm not talking about criminal convictions here, although there are degrees of severity here too (eg speeding vs assault). If we really want the NRL to have a blanket no-tolerance policy, there will be collateral damage.

2) As someone else mentioned, good news/redemption stories are possible and in fact can be used as a great marketing tool for the code. There are several top line players whose lives have been figuratively and sometimes literally saved by playing professional RL. Would these players be considered as too bad, so sad if they were never given another shot?

I am in the case by case treatment camp. Maybe a 3 strikes policy I think most clubs do anyway is the best. Look at Dugan never did anything criminal but wasn't up to the standards Canberra wanted. Not worthy of never playing again

Canard

Immortal
Can guarantee that the AFL player rape charge would have been the lead story on Melbourne news last night.

FFS, AFL judiciary results are often the lead TV story down there.

Too true. Actually because of a very grizzly murder in the Botanical Gardens down here, the Majak Daw thing wasn't that bigger news to be honest.

I notice on the front cover of the Age website today has no mention of the case however, yet Todd is in the "lifestyle" section in an article about drinking urine.

Danish

Referee
If large parts of the RL community continue to think that this is all the media's fault for reporting events, then the sport will be in exactly the same position ten years from now.

Not if they take steps to battle the negative image that the media and society in general holds for the game.

Perhaps the saddest comment on this thread was blaming non-RL fans for their perception of the game - why don't they find out more? Really??? I suppose whoever came out with that gem has a full understanding of everything that happens throughout the world and has never had their opinion made on any topic based on a less than complete understanding?

Its bullsh*t - that's how most people's opinions are made on most topics.

Of course most people form their views in that manner. Its human nature. Its also human nature for most people to then allow their opinions to change when presented with evidence to the contrary.

If the NRL actually tried to take an active approach to improving the image of the game by saturating the market with positive promotion then these handful of incidents each year (which occur in ALL public life) wouldn't make an ounce of difference.

At the moment the only individual players that actually have public profiles are the ones that get in trouble a lot. The NRL can change that.

Look at many RL fans' views of other sports on here for example - prejudiced and one-eyed doesn't come close - Gay AFL, Union is a posh man's game, wendyball etc. I laugh at those stereotypes because I'm an RL fan. But I'm also well aware that almost everyone I know views RL as a game played by and watched by bogans. RL is a product with a bad image. You can't blame the people that believe that - responsibility to change that perception lies with the sport itself.

Of course you can blame the people who believe those things. People who believe in stereotyping are idiots.

The good news is such idiots can generally have their perception changed.

At the moment we're in a vicious cycle of idiotic event-media report-bad image-idiotic event etc etc. We're guaranteed that some idiot player will do something else the media picks up on at some time fairly soon. You can't break the cycle by asking the media to stop reporting on events. You also can't just tell people who aren't fans that their perception is wrong.

What RL CAN do, is work on the culture within the sport - starting by cracking down on players until the events start drying up. If that means apparently harsh penalties for "bringing the game into disrepute" then sobeit. The only way to turn round an image problem (which is like turning an oil tanker) is to be shown to be cracking down hard on players. That should lead to at least a few of them thinking twice before being morons, and start getting stories into the media about how tough RL is on these sort of activities, rather than the acts themselves.

You might also just find that players are able to control themseleves better off the field if they know they'll be harshly dealt with. We've seen the ban on punching see it almost disappear from the NRL, yet I clearly recall people saying how it was "impossible" to stop in the heat of the moment. Yet punching was considered by some to be part of the RL "culture". It goes to show that you can stop even the biggest meathead if the message is simple and strong enough.

We already heavily punish players involved in incidents and sack them for major or repeat offences. Not much more can be done on that front.

If your solution to how to change the NRL's image is to simply stop the 18-29 year old rich guys from being stupid, then you have no solution at all. You simply can't go paying 500 young men huge coin and not expect a handful of them to act up.

A far better way to break the media cycle you mentioned above is to insert as many positive stories into it as possible. Get an official NRL charity organised and set up programs for NRL players to contribute. Hell offer salary cap benefits to players who raise money and attend events as incentive to ensure everyone is involved. And all the while don't be afraid to follow them all around with video cameras to ensure all these good deeds are publicised.

That way when (not if) a player f**ks up you are likely to have tonnes of good press to fall back on to cushion the fall.

Red Bear

Referee
Timely reinforcement of Mascords point today with an Artcile about Cordner saying he doesn't know why it was a big deal with Pearce's suspension and such. Pearce
- groped a girl
- was asked to leave
- didnt leave premises, cops were required to be called.
It's poor behaviour by any standards. When you're also a high profile footballer it is bad for the games image.

A player thinking that nothing is wrong with this situation is an example of where change is needed in player attitudes.

Danish

Referee
There is no evidence whatsoever that Pearce groped a girl. The footage at worst shows him reach out to tap her walking past, you'd assume to get her attention. He also did leave the premises. He was arrested out the front because he didn't move on when requested as he was waiting for people inside to leave.

It was a minor incident which was given as much air time if not more than a player up on king hit charges.

Godz Illa

Coach
Timely reinforcement of Mascords point today with an Artcile about Cordner saying he doesn't know why it was a big deal with Pearce's suspension and such. Pearce
- groped a girl
- was asked to leave
- didnt leave premises, cops were required to be called.
It's poor behaviour by any standards. When you're also a high profile footballer it is bad for the games image.

A player thinking that nothing is wrong with this situation is an example of where change is needed in player attitudes.
Eric Grothe's tweets to Mascord about the article kinda do the same. Talking about "our world" and "your world" etc. This coming from a supposedly senior, experienced player surely indicates the insular, blinkered mindset of players.

oikee

Juniors

Todd Carney is 28 and had many chances.
The codes image is mud, the sponsors have gone, and nobody wants to see Gallen the dawg lift the origin shield.
The code is killing itself softly with ex-players doing untold damage to the image of the code as well. Who let these clowns on TV, or is this part of the networks way of speeding up the process of the games demise.
Kill the sharks, stop propping up Manly, and start expanding the code, that is the first job the NRL need to do.
We need second teams in Brisbane NZ and a team in Perth, ASAP

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
the games demise.

Is this the demise that recently earned the game a billion in broadcast rights?

No need to get that excited. Yes its a bad look for the game, but it won't have that big an impact on the game.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is no evidence whatsoever that Pearce groped a girl. The footage at worst shows him reach out to tap her walking past, you'd assume to get her attention. He also did leave the premises. He was arrested out the front because he didn't move on when requested as he was waiting for people inside to leave.

It was a minor incident which was given as much air time if not more than a player up on king hit charges.

Exactly my point. You see that stuff every weekend in the city. The 95% of players that do things right are glossed over the moment something happens.

Pearce wasn't at a standard an NRL player should and was suspended for a week, Fined and missed origin. What more does Mascord and co want?

franklin2323

Immortal
Todd Carney is 28 and had many chances.
The codes image is mud, the sponsors have gone, and nobody wants to see Gallen the dawg lift the origin shield.
The code is killing itself softly with ex-players doing untold damage to the image of the code as well. Who let these clowns on TV, or is this part of the networks way of speeding up the process of the games demise.
Kill the sharks, stop propping up Manly, and start expanding the code, that is the first job the NRL need to do.
We need second teams in Brisbane NZ and a team in Perth, ASAP

:lol::lol:

Comedy gold. The game has never been in better shape