What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
Conceding that many points is a worry. Good win in the end, but the teams still alive are going to be a lot better than the Raiders were today.
They are, but I didn't see anything from the Warriors that we can't account for at our best either. We were far from our best tonight and survived. Next week is effectively our second bite at the cherry. I don't think you can take credit away from the Raiders tonight either. They played real tough finals footy and didn't take their foot off our throat in the first half - and it shook us quite deservedly. They earned it and I'd be willing to say that would have rattled any non-Broncos or Panthers team. Ricky had them ready and playing at 110%. We need to learn a lot from that game - and what it's like to play against a team with no second chances.

I'm not willing to give us no chance next week. I think we're every chance if we can play our best football. I assume they'll be getting SJ back, which will be huge for them and might be the difference.

Rod

Bench
I think you have to be careful reading too much into results from week to week. Just because we scraped by this week doesn't automatically mean it will transfer into next week.

The question is how much that extra time took out of us. I think sometimes the effect of extra time is overstated, they have a whole week to recover and don't need to train hard.

perverse

Referee
I think you have to be careful reading too much into results from week to week. Just because we scraped by this week doesn't automatically mean it will transfer into next week.

The question is how much that extra time took out of us. I think sometimes the effect of extra time is overstated, they have a whole week to recover and don't need to train hard.
I think in the modern age of professional footballers and athletes it matters a bit less, but may be a factor. I think getting up for it mentally is as big, or bigger ask though.

He's not wrong. It's remarkable we got away with it. They can't go out and do it again, but I don't think they will. I'm actually glad we'll likely walk into next week - and any other games that could follow - as underdogs on the back of that performance. Favourites has never been our thing.
Yeah, we've definitely shaken off the favourites tag for any remaining games, thankfully. It always felt like we were looking past this game and it never felt right being massive faves.

Rod

Bench
Was meaning to mention before I forget, the Saifitis were fantastic again tonight. I think it was Dan in particular who was always putting his hand up for tough runs, although I couldn't always tell which one it was in the chaos tbh.

Just watching the presser and KP said Dan was doing most of the talking near the end as well.

Yosh

Coach
That was scary. The Raiders decided to play their best game of the year against us. Finals footy is definitely a different ball game. They rattled us but we still managed to hold on and get the result. Excellent work lads.

I only just watched the game and it was shivers all game long. Don't know what AOB said at halftime but what a halftime team talk. Great work from Mann to play halfback and guide us to a victory.

Tyson Gamble. No more needs to be said, he is already a Newy legend! Wow. That charge down was extraordinary.

I'm glad we got that game first up. The Raiders rattled us and showed why finals experience is so important. So much to take out from that game. Great experience and Ponga to win it with a goal kick was classic.

So happy so so happy. I'm also going to buy a Tyson Gamble jersey or something this week because he is amazing.

Haffa

Kind of lost for words at the moment. I don't know if I can do that again next week.
That’s how I felt. Sat in the stand in silence as the place erupted around me as Ponga kicked the goal. I think I’d spent all my energy in that comeback. They’re determined to kill me.

Seage

Juniors
Thought Jack Hetherington had a good game too. Had limited minutes but made impact with some timely shots in defence and a few good runs.

Old dog

Juniors
I kept pausing the tv to give me a break, quick stroll around the house via the fridge and back at it, very stressful game

Nuke

Staff member
I kept pausing the tv to give me a break, quick stroll around the house via the fridge and back at it, very stressful game
I don't drink, and I don't have a tv that can pause live action.

Two aspects of my life I may need to rectify by next week's game...

Zoidberg

First Grade
How can you pause the game!
If I’m not watching every play live I have weird thoughts go through my head.