What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Finals Week 1 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Finals Week 1: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We weren't great today, but the Raiders were very physical, and they came with a game plan. Second half wasn’t perfect from us, but we responded well. It was very scrappy but loved our resilience. You need those sorts of wins too not just the flashy wins.

Old dog

Juniors
Was of the belief Hastings was gone prior to this game, a gamble but coaching staff and Hastings, we don’t lose a lot with Clune, he is of to NZ

perverse

Referee
The frustrating thing for me is that despite us just winning our first finals match in a decade... I feel more relieved than happy about it? I really think we needed to get that game out of the way. Going in as red hot favourites didn't help us, and we definitely got the yips in the first half when suddenly we found ourselves in a real game of finals footy - and playing from behind. We've been able to test out Kalyn and Jackson physically and have figured out who can make it through a match and who can't without losing too, which is a plus.

We'll go down to NZ as underdogs with nothing much to lose from here. I hope we can turn it around and find the energy earlier in the match next week. We'll be fodder for the Warriors if we don't improve 100% on that.

perverse

Referee
KP in the presser said the first half was the worst they played all year. Yep.
He's not wrong. It's remarkable we got away with it. They can't go out and do it again, but I don't think they will. I'm actually glad we'll likely walk into next week - and any other games that could follow - as underdogs on the back of that performance. Favourites has never been our thing.

Woody90

Juniors
The frustrating thing for me is that despite us just winning our first finals match in a decade... I feel more relieved than happy about it? I really think we needed to get that game out of the way. Going in as red hot favourites didn't help us, and we definitely got the yips in the first half when suddenly we found ourselves in a real game of finals footy - and playing from behind. We've been able to test out Kalyn and Jackson physically and have figured out who can make it through a match and who can't without losing too, which is a plus.

We'll go down to NZ as underdogs with nothing much to lose from here. I hope we can turn it around and find the energy earlier in the match next week. We'll be fodder for the Warriors if we don't improve 100% on that.

There would have no doubt been a lot of pressure on them. All through the week the talk about the crowd and expecting a win…we’re not a team that’s used to being expected to win so I could definitely see that being hard for them.

I guess one positive is that I think we only played 15 minutes of good football but we still won so that’s something we can improve on next week. Can’t see us beating the Warriors playing like that, but tbh I’m pretty content now. We’ll go in as underdogs and if anyone was going to knock us out, I’d prefer it to be them.

Allstar Knights

Juniors

Feel the same mate, morre relieved than happy and I didn't know why but you put it perfectly.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Warriors will be a very different game. Raiders did what they do, dragged us into an arm wrestle and we barely got through.
Have to take Clune into the match. Can’t risk Hastings again this year unfortunately.
Gifted them 2 tries (Gagai knock on and drop out), we can’t do that again in a finals game.
Recover. Reset. Get it on again next week.

Black Panther

Juniors
Conceding that many points is a worry. Good win in the end, but the teams still alive are going to be a lot better than the Raiders were today.

Latest posts