What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 1 vs Canberra @ GIO Stadium Canberra

Who will win? Round 1: Canberra v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I only said us because we have won some silly amount of our round 1 games. I reckon there's enough there for it to be a close one.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was very interested to watch the game last night. The first 30 minutes was real touch footy stuff, lots of 6 agains and lightning slows. The next 50 mins both teams seemed to blow a bit, handling errors and the referees pinned back the penalties.

There was a distinct drop in intensity from the storm when their starting middle 3 went off. Their bench had a prop, hooker, backrower and lock. Thats where I like our bench of 3 big middles and a utility.

I think the new style will suit us. There will still be a need for big, aggressive men to dominate and make meters in the middle. You then need the small quick guys to take advantage of that. Outside of the storm our spine is probably the quickest in the game. Plus our edges have genuine strike of both side. A slow game would really negate our strengths.

Unfortunately looking at the forecast it’s predicted to pour in the capital this Sunday. However I’m very encouraged by what I’m seeing moving forward.

Vozzy

Juniors
So far the teams that have played fast early have died in the second 40. This year is all about fitness. The problem with the 6 again rule is it's so picky that the same thing being done by the other team could be missed. I'm not sure if Bulldogs got more then like 1 penalty while the Knights had like double figures which made the Bulldogs to gassed to find the energy they had in the first 20min.

I guess lesson learnt is take advantage at the start when fresh to score 2-3 tries then defend your butt off.

simmo05

Bench
So far the teams that have played fast early have died in the second 40. This year is all about fitness. The problem with the 6 again rule is it's so picky that the same thing being done by the other team could be missed. I'm not sure if Bulldogs got more then like 1 penalty while the Knights had like double figures which made the Bulldogs to gassed to find the energy they had in the first 20min.

I guess lesson learnt is take advantage at the start when fresh to score 2-3 tries then defend your butt off.
Gould last night remarked how fit the team looked this year...

BrotherJim05

Bench
Outside of the storm our spine is probably the quickest in the game.

I was about to laugh with something along the lines of "I love your enthusiasm but mate, there way faster spines"...then I remember Laurie is our fullback, Liddle is our hooker and Brooks is fkn deceptively fast. Apart from AD they are all very quick for their positions.

The biggest thing that is going to hurt us is confidence. If Canberra get on top of us then grind us out I don't think we will have a chance. we could crumble very quickly. We need to get into a grind with Canberra as quickly as possible to flip the confidence scale. Canberra will be expecting a big win so if we can get them into a tug of war they will get frustrated and make errors. As soon as this happens we need our backs to capitalize and put points on the board. It will shit them up completely.

My only worry is that Brooks doesn't have the game management to implement a plan like this - hope I'm wrong and he blows us all away.

Tigerm

First Grade
I was about to laugh with something along the lines of "I love your enthusiasm but mate, there way faster spines"...then I remember Laurie is our fullback, Liddle is our hooker and Brooks is fkn deceptively fast. Apart from AD they are all very quick for their positions.

The biggest thing that is going to hurt us is confidence. If Canberra get on top of us then grind us out I don't think we will have a chance. we could crumble very quickly. We need to get into a grind with Canberra as quickly as possible to flip the confidence scale. Canberra will be expecting a big win so if we can get them into a tug of war they will get frustrated and make errors. As soon as this happens we need our backs to capitalize and put points on the board. It will shit them up completely.

My only worry is that Brooks doesn't have the game management to implement a plan like this - hope I'm wrong and he blows us all away.
I don't think we will have past seasons issues with so many new players, many who are better players than hat we had. I think Tamou will keep us to the game plan.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Agree with the fitness, and that’s where we’re hopefully lucky with Madge. I do think there were some other issues with those 3 games.

Storm - odd bench selection. Hooker/prop/second rower/lock

Dogs as you mention 5-0 penalty count, 7-0 six agains

Broncos - lost 3 players to injury

The Raiders have picked a similar bench to us so we’re fairly evenly matched there

There’s nothing timid or underdone about our pack this year that Madge has flogged almost senseless with strength and endurance over the off season.

There’s not a chance our lot will be intimidated by Ricky’s robotic meatheads.

Nonetheless, I’m expecting the raiders to break out earlier than us and then for us to run them down.

In terms of panic, if we can hold them to a two or three tries lead by half time, they are pretty much done for.

My concern is the magic of the magnificent cnk, hodgo and our shadowy looking halves, having said that, they are a good pairing for this battle of the meathead game where nothing is expected from them other than the basics.

1. Pass.
2. The odd kick through.
3. Run at the line a couple of times and pass.
4. Keep out of the way unless you have to get involved through no choice of your own.

I can’t see anything from mbye during this game except more tackle avoidance and Morris dancing in attack.

I think he might own up against less brutal opponents, but I’m pretty sure his main objective is to leave the field with head intact. As the panel know, I’m a fan of his as well. He’s a great guy.

Last edited:
I think we will be busy trying to tire there cover defence early before switching to isolation tactics out wide later which was so effective at the trials.

Lucy is just about the best strike forward in the game at the moment and I’d be switching him into decoy roles to distract them.

From the looks of the bench, Madge wants a dire struggle, war of attrition and then havoc in attack in the last 20 minutes.

Players like packer present to sap energy and create chaos as much as anything else and that’s part of the drama Madge is counting on.

Ricky also loves his tough sides. He played during a tough era in the game, skilful but courageous. There’s no flies on him.

It will be hell out there!

The raiders are a formidable side, we will have to thread the needle. I’m looking forward to it.

If we can’t win, we will learn a lot. Great first hit out to have although we don’t want injuries or suspensions.

Last edited:

Great interview containing lots of insights.

But...the thing about Madge, he’s very composed and and he keeps 95% of his considerations to himself.

You will never hear Madge:

a) criticise an individual directly- a player, an official etc.
b) promote a view that our team cannot win every game it plays
c) propose that hard work can’t fix any problem.

But you shake the tin here and in this case, a few extra cookies fall onto the table, so it’s compulsory viewing.

I thought the interviewers were very good as well.

I will listen again later and share what I think he means but without saying.

@blue bags is really good at this stuff and we share a fun interest in subliminal and behaviour messaging.

Here at maccas (for the kids) pretty chaotic.

The straws have more nutrition that the burgers, but the kids are brainwashed.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
TSP...You are very excited.
I’m expecting us to be rusty and disjointed....combos take time under fire.
As long as we compete, don’t give in, show improvement as the game progresses, I’ll be encouraged.
If they refuse to put their bodies on the line as West’s Tigers teams have done for many years now I’ll lose my shit.
I’m predicting a loss but it’s the way you lose when that occurs that matters.

TSP...You are very excited.
I’m expecting us to be rusty and disjointed....combos take time under fire.
As long as we compete, don’t give in, show improvement as the game progresses, I’ll be encouraged.
If they refuse to put their bodies on the line as West’s Tigers teams have done for many years now I’ll lose my shit.
I’m predicting a loss but it’s the way you lose when that occurs that matters.

I want to believe...
3C70B270-7F45-4026-8942-4416D74A3EF4.jpeg

Latest posts