What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 15 vs Brisbane @ Suncorp Stadium, Milton / Yuggera-Turrbal

Who will win? Round 15: Brisbane v Newcastle

• Brisbane Broncos 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Brisbane Broncos 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
Ponga played a great fullback game tonight in all areas I thought. and didn't overplay his hand
I honestly think the turning point for Kalyn was origin last year, we just haven't got to enjoy much since then because of the head stuff. I've been nothing but happy with him on the field since then. He was quiet in the first 30 tonight, but he was marked heavily as well, and eventually found his way into the match.

I do think he's genuinely grown a lot with everything that's happened with him in the past 12 months though. He seems a bit less aloof to me, more focused.

mozza91

Coach
Proud of the effort. We were the better team against a heavyweight. Hopefully it’s a turning point because if we play like that we beat most sides.
Ponga was fantastic, as was Gags, J Saf, Thompson and Hethrington oddly.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
I am dumbfounded that Ponga fed that final scrum. Was it just because we were rushing to pack it?

perverse

Referee
I am dumbfounded that Ponga fed that final scrum. Was it just because we were rushing to pack it?
Yeah that was a weird one. Walsh was about 4 metres offside by the time we fed the scrum, too. Not the kind of thing i'm gonna sit here and be salty about, because it's not why we lost, but the last few moments of the game were an absolute mess.

Woody90

Juniors
I'd be the first to say that, but I think tonight we were right up against it and it was a super effort to do what we did.

Maybe a bit weird, but I can accept this one tonight. We let ourselves down. But we've been a mess for a little while now and came up against the hottest team in the comp.

This just needs to be a building block now. We can't accept going backwards.

I agree with you, even if it’s an unpopular opinion. We could all come up with a million reasons why we lost that, and all of them no doubt valid, but I thought they were great.

I’m not talking about the effort either. Some of those plays we put on down their edges were fantastic, against a team whose defence is known to suffocate their opposition. A lot of talk that the Broncos weren’t at their best too which is bullshit. They played as well as we let them. Reynolds and Walsh in particular were clearly well up for this game.

There were a few times during the game where the Broncos scored where I expected the flood gates to open like they would have last year, but we kept playing and played some good football.

That’s not saying we don’t need a shake up. After years of games like this but not getting the wins we obviously still need massive changes (coach and playing roster). AOB’s refusal to get a hooker or a quality goal kicker has basically signed his resignation papers but that was well before this game.

There were a few exceptions to that though. Dan again was lazy, and not even motivated by a possible SOO selection. I really hope Gus’ secret trip up here was about bringing him to the Bulldogs. Phoenix also still needs to be shot out of a cannon. He was particularly bad tonight even by his standards which I didn’t think was possible. Why he constantly passes away from Ponga to hit forwards with defenders all in front of them I’ll never know. Hastings was good in attack but at crucial times like at the end when we didn’t pack the scrum he needed to do more as the halfback. Sadly though it seems our stupid has caught up to him.

Woody90

Juniors
Love hearing the Broncs saying they didn’t play well.

That was complete bullshit. They played as well as we let them. They made errors because we were rushing them in defence. It was obvious that Walsh and Reynolds in particular were up for this one.

We lost our heads in the last 10 minutes because we got nervous and are a dumb football team and they’re definitely good enough to take full advantage.

aqua_duck

Coach
At this point, you really have to wonder what AOB has against goal kickers, our first grade goal kicking has been bottom four for years now and pretty sure we’re kicking at under 60% in NSW cup. Do we not have a goal kicking coach? Do we even train goalkicking?
In regard to the hooker situation, I used to despise Crossland (as a footballer) but now I just feel sorry for him because AOB is so determined to throw him in the deep end hoping he swims but can’t even recognise that he’s drowning

Jono078

Referee
I honestly want to know how we're addressing the goal kicking situation.

It's almost as if AOB is telling the players just kick a few at training and you'll be right. Can we actually get a coach in to teach them how to approach it mentally and also technically?

I'm sure one of these blokes can get to at least 75% with some solid focused coaching.

I was working at the Speedway and only checked the score at half time and after the end.
I suspected doom and gloom but sounds like we did well. Goal kicking still a worry. Have we actually got a decent kicker in lower grades?
I agree with AOB that it's good to have form but we need the wins
Might be worth me watching a replay.

Latest posts