What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 26 vs Sydney @ Allianz Stadium, Moore Park / Gadigal

Who will win? Round 26: Sydney v Wests Tigers

• Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigerm

First Grade
Benji and Fulton are learning what a tough gig they have got next year?

Another cleanout beckons.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
The kick off from Api around the 7:00 min mark doesn't even make the 20 mark and the Roosters march it up to ½ way line on the second. To compound that there were hardly any chases....Fatigue?
Thry should have rolled the dice and went fir the short kick off because 1. Save energy on the chase and 2. The second tackle would probably be on the halfway/10m line anyway.

Tigerm

First Grade
The kick off from Api around the 7:00 min mark doesn't even make the 20 mark and the Roosters march it up to ½ way line on the second. To compound that there were hardly any chases....Fatigue?
Thry should have rolled the dice and went fir the short kick off because 1. Save energy on the chase and 2. The second tackle would probably be on the halfway/10m line anyway.
They shouldn't be fatigued, looks like they spent a fair bit of time behind their own try line, plenty of rest then.

Pezz70

Juniors
Rudderless rabble, tigers really need to spend the first 1/4 of the game just taking it up the guts, straight, hard basic footy. You need to lay a foundation of mistake free attack and defence before before you start playing footy. We don’t build a game, we run on the field, throw it around make mistakes get flogged. Even though we were pretty good early tonight playing chancy footy rarely comes off it leads to mistakes and mistake after mistake sucks the will right out of you. Some of the kicks in the second half were just rubbish

Nutz

Bench
I would've put James on the moment Stef got headbutted to give James more experience. I've seen massive runs of his but not tonight, not enough minutes.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I thought Papali'i and Pole were our best tonight.
Kicking was aweful.
Too much pressure put on Daino from Smith. Daino is a running player. A couple of deft touches and grubbers in goal were good but in the second half the Roosters adjusted and he, Api and the team were stiffled.

Nutz

Bench
They shouldn't be fatigued, looks like they spent a fair bit of time behind their own try line, plenty of rest then.
Reminds me of a joke, goes something like this.
On Benji's first day as head coach he addresses the boys in the shed and says..."guys we're going to have the KOE team to oppose you in a full on game, I want you to go out there and take up your normal positions"
When Benji goes outside all the NRL side are standing around behind the posts with there heads down.
Benji says to trainer "what the hell are they doing"
Trainer says, "you said take up your normal postions, it looks like they are waiting for a conversion"

Sorry, me bad, I couldn't remember how it went and made it up a bit. hee hee.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Down by 62 pts diff today between the girls and guys. That's disgusting.
Hard to fathom what the problem is with this club, we've been bad for so long, changes have been made and yet we continually fail.

It just seems some players don't give a f**k. I mean bad management and bad coaches shouldn't stop you from tackling, catching and passing effectively? At NRL level I would expect you can read the game a bit to see what the opposition are trying to do?

We have a reasonable roster atm (certainly doesn't look like a spoon team) and I guess we all hope our new halves coming in will give us the solutions we crave.

Anyway, we'll all be back next year hoping for something better to happen? Because one day it will.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Hard to fathom what the problem is with this club, we've been bad for so long, changes have been made and yet we continually fail.

It just seems some players don't give a f**k. I mean bad management and bad coaches shouldn't stop you from tackling, catching and passing effectively? At NRL level I would expect you can read the game a bit to see what the opposition are trying to do?

We have a reasonable roster atm (certainly doesn't look like a spoon team) and I guess we all hope our new halves coming in will give us the solutions we crave.

Anyway, we'll all be back next year hoping for something better to happen? Because one day it will.
I think it's a mental thingy mate. I was praising Pole's effort but after watching the game again, even he let in a soft try by switching off.
Game management, fitness, execution of game plan, concentration etc etc is a combo of players and coaches applying their trade.
One can't operate without the other.
Winning can be a mindset thing, a winning culture if you like.
When things start to go pear shaped the team goes into it's shell.
I really hope the full preseason can sort out some of this crap.

I think it's a mental thingy mate. I was praising Pole's effort but after watching the game again, even he let in a soft try by switching off.
Game management, fitness, execution of game plan, concentration etc etc is a combo of players and coaches applying their trade.
One can't operate without the other.
Winning can be a mindset thing, a winning culture if you like.
When things start to go pear shaped the team goes into it's shell.
I really hope the full preseason can sort out some of this crap.
Benji praised our efforts too. Unbelievable!

More important to close his eyes and be a friend to players than to account for that mistake- riddled incompetent surrender.

I don’t know who is coaching us anymore, it doesn’t seem to matter anyway.

If this is remotely acceptable to Benji, if that’s the expectation….

And usually there’s something we want to see to argue a build is on for next year, nothing to argue there. Just hands up.

Which puts a lot of the emphasis on recruitment.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Benji praised our efforts too. Unbelievable!

More important to close his eyes and be a friend to players than to account for that mistake- riddled incompetent surrender.

I don’t know who is coaching us anymore, it doesn’t seem to matter anyway.

If this is remotely acceptable to Benji, if that’s the expectation….
I think Benji was referring to the first quarter when we were competitive but conceded it's more a concentration thing which I was eluding to.
TSP you can't bag Benji at this stage. He's learning and hopefully Morris will help.
He has to rally this team together and get them playing confidently and to stay in the game till the 80+ min mark. This he can address over a full preseason with Morris.
If I was Benji I would take a squad of 50 or so players away to one of those fitness centres at the beach (there's an awesome centre at Lennox Heads) where they can do contact and sprint work on sand. Trust me this works.
It's because running/sprinting on sand builds up the muscle fibres close to the bone and conditions hamstrings and knees. Also it would be a good bonding session to escape the scrutiny of Sydney media.

WA Tiger

Bench
Decent halves might help too. At least he acted when smith needed replacing/swapping with Api back to halfback. That hasn’t happend in 6 years..Simpkin was a big loss ..And Tupou pissing himself when tackling Sualii didn’t help either. Benji’s working with a rabble. Don’t tell me Sullivan won’t make a difference.
DCOE you can’t see that? ok

Last edited:
I think Benji was referring to the first quarter when we were competitive but conceded it's more a concentration thing which I was eluding to.
TSP you can't bag Benji at this stage. He's learning and hopefully Morris will help.
He has to rally this team together and get them playing confidently and to stay in the game till the 80+ min mark. This he can address over a full preseason with Morris.
If I was Benji I would take a squad of 50 or so players away to one of those fitness centres at the beach (there's an awesome centre at Lennox Heads) where they can do contact and sprint work on sand. Trust me this works.
It's because running/sprinting on sand builds up the muscle fibres close to the bone and conditions hamstrings and knees. Also it would be a good bonding session to escape the scrutiny of Sydney media.
Well we don’t need a coach who’s on his L plates, I think that’s part of the problem, not the answer.
It’s putting his celebrity and mate status before the clubs best interests.

The clubs best interests? Start off with an experienced first grade coach with recent experience and some kind of track record. Someone who has managed to get optimum from players before. Find a talented reserve grade coach. We don’t need a rookie coach with 2 spoons. It’s too big a challenge.

As for training, we need a lot of ideas and insights from better footy minds than mine. I’m not against a trip away, lots of clubs do it.

See what we are left with after the purge and who rocks up.

If I was Benji I’d find other ways to contribute to the club instead of head coach, which are many and varied. This option seems lost on a lot of people unfortunately.

30 minutes of effort at NRL level is poor by any other teams standard. Nothing to be too cheery and too hopeful about Im afraid.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
DCOE keeps imagining he’s met all the players and their aunties... I’m thinking an imaginary love tryst with Benji gone wrong? He’s obviously that way inclined..

Last edited: