What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Panthers @ Campbelltown

Who will win? Round 3: Panthers v Knights

• Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frederick

Staff member
Mann was fine. Thrust into central playmaker role with a makeshift spine comprising of two rookies and a backrower and managed to steer us to a draw (or win if best runs it himself)

If anyone needs to be dropped it's Pearce - merkin didn't do anything all game :rolling_eyes:

perverse

Referee
I won’t criticise anyone tonight. He isn’t a playmaker but Mann can hold his head up.

I don’t think he is our guy for the 6 though. Hoy was a go-er today.
That's fair enough and I don't criticize anyone's effort tonight. What I will say though is I doubt anyone watching was surprised by anything that happened in that match when the ball went to Mann. He's never been the answer at 6, or anywhere else. He's never had a spot in the team. He's a poor man's Watson, and we have the real deal.

Hoy to 6 for mine as well. I'd take Lino if I thought he wouldn't be a liability in D.

Incredibly gutsy effort - especially in defence. In seasons past they would have been hanging their heads low and have passed in the towel.
A little bit of experience let us down with Best not backing himself. I'll excuse that based on the rest of his game.
Randall has to have a spot next week. Glasby can hold his head up. Lee was on and off but he always puts 2x in when he does stuff up.
I thought Mann held his own given the circumstances. Kicks from both Mann and Hoy were too high and deep. Pearce often does the same but will then mix it up if they are getting nowhere with it.

Question is whether Pearce will be required to have a week off?

Knight Vision

First Grade
That's fair enough and I don't criticize anyone's effort tonight. What I will say though is I doubt anyone watching was surprised by anything that happened in that match when the ball went to Mann. He's never been the answer at 6, or anywhere else. He's never had a spot in the team. He's a poor man's Watson, and we have the real deal.

Hoy to 6 for mine as well. I'd take Lino if I thought he wouldn't be a liability in D.
Has Hoy ever played 5/8 ? Bit different tackling in the front line. He does have a good boot on him though.

We need a 5/8 that can take pressure off Pearce and in the case of today all the play making and kicking.

How's young Crossland?

Apey

Staff member
Has Mann ever provided us a single game of good value? I know Lino isn't perfect... but geez... I'd back him to steer us home here.

I don't blame him for the loss because it's not his fault Peace & Watson got injured but oh boy, I'd just about take anyone who has so much as worn the #6 jersey during a training session over him at the moment.

Apey

Staff member
I'd prefer anyone in our squad out there instead of Mann. Has always been a spud, will always be a spud. Never wanted him, couldn't figure out why we signed him, would love to see the back of him.
Fun fact, last year I saw him and Connor Watson at the local sushi shop and I didn't know who he was.

Apey

Staff member
I reckon without Pearce we were better off with Mann at 6 than Watson at 6 today.

Possibly. Watson is a lot more dangerous with the ball but not sure I'd trust him with general play kicking. Still, I don't think Mann adds anything to the team.

perverse

Referee
I don't blame him for the loss because it's not his fault Peace & Watson got injured but oh boy, I'd just about take anyone who has so much as worn the #6 jersey during a training session over him at the moment.
I don't mean to blame him for anything other than not being the right person for the job we're asking him to do, and also not really having a spot in the team because we have better options. I don't hate the guy as much as I just hope he's a temporary hole filler.

Jono078

Referee
The way I see it is, we could have had a real half there today, let's say Lino, and maybe he would have chanced his arm a bit more or spread the ball, but that could have led to errors and more pressure on us. So whilst Mann bombing away each time was easy, maybe that's exactly what we needed today to be safe and stay in the game.

Johns Magic

Referee
O’Brien is pretty restrained in his presser but he said that he wanted Tex to get more ball than he did and that he was the one he thought was seeing the game best at the end and may have pulled it out of the bag.

I thought he defended well as well.

I reckon we'll still hold out for Ponga to eventually move into the 6. He has the skill set but needs to realise it. It won't be this year.
Hoy then shows up as the likely fullback.

perverse

Referee
The way I see it is, we could have had a real half there today, let's say Lino, and maybe he would have chanced his arm a bit more or spread the ball, but that could have led to errors and more pressure on us. So whilst Mann bombing away each time was easy, maybe that's exactly what we needed today to be safe and stay in the game.
The big question mark on Lino is whether we would have conceded another 10 or 20 points with him on the field. I agree he's a much better pair of hands to have at the death there.

Knight Vision

First Grade
DSaf ran for 229 with 74 post contact mtrs......1 of his best games....herculean effort. I think the only time he's ran more than the Klemmernator