What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Cronulla @ PointsBet Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Cronulla v Newcastle

• Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 13+

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1-12

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono078

Referee
It almost makes me wonder if the squad already know Ponga is leaving. The performance and effort was that bad.
Perhaps the team want him gone, hence the insipid performance tonight, sure to trigger Ponga to sign that Dolphins contract.

I've added my 84c tonight. Good news is it's on again next week - another "short turnaround", so beware of that statement from AOB in next week's conference.

If 2021 Manly tonight's Knights turn up, then lord have mercy...

With all due respect, and I have no ill feeling towards your club, Cronulla made you look the way you played.
The Knights had their plan, they just didn't realise that the Sharks have been building towards this defensive effort.
Your coaches may have suspected it, your fans would not have had any idea, but we have been building on trying to keep a team to zero.
If you'd have seen our games this season you would have noticed where we were going.
Fitzy was the one to go for, not O'Brien.

TooheysNew

Coach
With all due respect, and I have no ill feeling towards your club, Cronulla made you look the way you played.
The Knights had their plan, they just didn't realise that the Sharks have been building towards this defensive effort.
Your coaches may have suspected it, your fans would not have had any idea, but we have been building on trying to keep a team to zero.
If you'd have seen our games this season you would have noticed where we were going.
The sharks didn't make us drop ball or hide behind the ruck or not make effort plays.

Jono078

Referee
If you had watched our previous 3 games you'd think we were building to something too, then tonight happened.

I vaguely remember we did try to go for Fitzgibbon but for him it wasn't the right time.

Anyway this was one shit performance and one good one for the Sharks. Well done and enjoy it. Being round 4 we can quickly move on from this with a win in 6 days time.

If you had watched our previous 3 games you'd think we were building to something too, then tonight happened.

I vaguely remember we did try to go for Fitzgibbon but for him it wasn't the right time.

Anyway this was one shit performance and one good one for the Sharks. Well done and enjoy it. Being round 4 we can quickly move on from this with a win in 6 days time.
I have watched all your games. This was coming. Not panic stations for you guys, but after 3 rounds teams will work out your methods. Now is the time to see if your coach can adapt and get you to go forward again.

Volcom6685

Juniors
Yeah in this case I do. You did not beat yourself, you were beaten by a better team.
Tbh if you actually watched our first 3 matches you’d realise we didn’t play anything like we did in those 3 . We showed up tonight with a game plan that was for wet weather in a gale . The wet weather never eventuated but we didn’t change the game plan . You only have to listen to AOB yesterday to know this

Tbh if you actually watched our first 3 matches you’d realise we didn’t play anything like we did in those 3 . We showed up tonight with a game plan that was for wet weather in a gale . The wet weather never eventuated but we didn’t change the game plan . You only have to listen to AOB yesterday to know this
Or, to put it simplified, the better team, and coach, won the game.
Actually I need to edit this,
did you watch our game last week against the Goons???
it was torrential rain and we put 36 points on.
If the Knights werent prepared for that team, well they just werent prepared right

Silent Knight

First Grade
Yeah in this case I do. You did not beat yourself, you were beaten by a better team.

We’re always beaten by better teams. It has been a feature of Knights teams for the past few seasons that if an opposing team takes the fight to us we fall apart. Last year Manly was the only team above us on the ladder that we beat during the regular season. You take the fight to the Knights and you win. It’s that simple.

It’s a sign of mental weakness that is embedded in our team. And we can’t shake it.

We’re always beaten by better teams. It’s been a feature of Knights teams for the past few seasons that if an opposing team takes the fight to us we fall apart. Last year Manly was the only team above us on the ladder that we beat during the regular season. You take the fight to the Knights and you win. It’s that simple.

It’s a sign of mental weakness that is embedded in our team. And we can’t shake it.
And for the last two seasons the Sharks have not beaten a team that finished in the top 8 the year before. I do not count the Panthers win last year when all their players were in SOO.

We have been way more mentally weaker, yet now we arent. Reason being? The coach.

Silent Knight

First Grade
And for the last two seasons the Sharks have not beaten a team that finished in the top 8 the year before. I do not count the Panthers win last year when all their players were in SOO.

We have been way more mentally weaker, yet now we arent. Reason being? The coach.

Fitzgibbon, Finucane and Hynes are your reasons why.

Last year you had the nucleus of a strong attacking team but lacked that 2016 defensive steel and grit. Fitzgibbon brought that steel and grit, but at the same time trusted his players to play what was in front of them, to trust their instincts.

You did away with show ponies like Johnson, Dugan and Townsend and brought in born winners like Hynes and Finucane.

Your young blokes are a year older and know what it takes to be NRL footballers now.

That’s why you’re no longer mentally weak.

Fitzgibbon, Finucane and Hynes are your reasons why.

Last year you had the nucleus of a strong attacking team but lacked that 2016 defensive steel and grit. Fitzgibbon brought that steel and grit, but at the same time trusted his players to play what was in front of them, to trust their instincts.

You did away with show ponies like Johnson, Dugan and Townsend and brought in born winners like Hynes and Finucane.

Your young blokes are a year older and know what it takes to be NRL footballers now.

That’s why you’re no longer mentally weak.
Pretty much, but the way our defensive side moves a s a unit is why we are on the up. Thats all due to Fitz.
I'm not here to attack you people, I just know, from experience, that maybe your coach is the real issue.