What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Warriors @ Go Media Stadium, Penrose / Aotearoa

Who will win? Round 4: Warriors v Newcastle

• Warriors 13+

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Warriors 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hastings is our (out of form) halfback, for mine. The best option we have, potentially even with a busted ankle. Outside of 20 minutes in the grand final where Cleary tore Brisbane to shreds, what has Cogger ever done? Fringe first grader imo, always was and has been. The media has been riding his dick deluxe since the GF, but he's not a good footy player.
This. Hastings is our best half, he'll be back.

As much as Cleary kicked into gear, Reynolds choked . His last 20 was an implosion, if he were a half from a smaller club his last 20 lowlight reel would be played continuously.

Hopefully Crossland plays less minutes and gives Brailey more time to influence the game. Let Crossland play the first 20 minutes and take the sting out of the game, Brailey plays till the 70th minute and let Crossland close out the game with his effort in defense. Crossland's service from dummy half has definitely improved but it is miles and miles behind Brailey.
Not sure Brailey would be up to a 50min stint after only 1 game in many months

Thomson out. Both Saifitis named to start.
Did Thomson cop a suspension over that incident? I couldn't see fault over that. Or is he injured?
I get to watch this one. Haven't signed up for Kayo again yet. Except I'll be at the Speedway weather permitting. Stream it from my little box.

Edit: just checked. Suspension. Back for Rd 5 against St George.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't give away 2 or 3 dumb penalties, forward passes and other various errors is better that Phoenix and Cogger fits that mould as well as anyone for me, and can slot into the halves if necessary.

Hastings is our (out of form) halfback, for mine. The best option we have, potentially even with a busted ankle. Outside of 20 minutes in the grand final where Cleary tore Brisbane to shreds, what has Cogger ever done? Fringe first grader imo, always was and has been. The media has been riding his dick deluxe since the GF, but he's not a good footy player.
THANK YOU. Said this in another thread and was told Cogger is good now for some reason.

Woody90

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't give away 2 or 3 dumb penalties, forward passes and other various errors is better that Phoenix and Cogger fits that mould as well as anyone for me, and can slot into the halves if necessary.

I agree with you that Hastings is our best half option but AOB isn’t going to drop Cogger after one game. As such we need to carry an extra hooker as Brailey can’t get through a full game and then who goes to the halves if Cogger goes to 9? There’s no real other option to Crossland as Jones is injured.

I’ll be very surprised if our long-term spine isn’t:

1. Ponga
6. Pryce
7. Hastings
9. Brailey
14. Crossland

Saying that though I think for the longer term benefit of the side we’ll keep Hastings in NSW Cup a bit longer to get his foot right and keep helping Pryce. I don’t really see the point in dropping him for 1 game, even if Cogger and Gamble are struggling.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Pryce coming onto the bench but only if we use him appropriately (I.e. at 6). It would be better for his development to stay at 6 in NSW Cup with Hastings for a bit longer and than sitting on the bench to play 20 minutes shuffling around different positions.

Yosh

Coach
Is Gagai injured?? Noooooo... He has been our best player this season.

Our outside backs were so strong last season but looks very weak now... Hopefully Jenkins kicks on because he looks like he is going to lose us a few games this season if he doesn't.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Knights centre Dane Gagai will miss the club's match against the Warriors in New Zealand on Sunday.

Knights centre Dane Gagai will miss Newcastle's clash with the Warriors on Sunday due to what the club has described as a "medical condition".

The Knights confirmed on Thursday that Gagai was out of the 4.05pm (AEDT) match at Go Media Stadium in Auckland.
Football director Peter Parr told the Newcastle Herald Gagai was dealing with a medical condition but did not expand on the issue.

"He is out and we will finalise the team once in New Zealand," Parr said.
"We're not sure yet what we'll do with the team, there's a few options there obviously.
"He has a medical condition, and that's of a personal nature.
"He'll play against the Dragons [next week]."

Newcastle are scheduled to fly to New Zealand on Friday.
The Englishman is yet to make his NRL debut but has been impressive in NSW Cup in the opening rounds.
Lucas was forced to shift to right centre and Gagai to the wing in round one after a winger Enari Tuala suffered an injury.
Tuala returned at the weekend, but the Knights remain without winger Greg Marzhew (broken wrist).

Gagai has played every minute of Newcastle's three games this year, and also played in the NRL All Stars fixture in February.

Old dog

Juniors
From what we have seen of Pryce he looks good but reportedly very suss in defence, give him more time in Cup, Lucas will be fine

Woody90

Juniors
Centres the hardest position in the game to defend and Pryce’s defence is already poor. I just feel like playing him out of position in the centres will just hurt his confidence with little upside if we see him as a 6. We’re probably going to get smashed anyway but would prefer him not to get destroyed.

Our first choice replacements would be Tuala or Jenkins but one has replaced Young and the other covering Mazhew’s injury.