What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

ALSGI

Bench
One year in
Geeze
Considering the quite of few games he won for us that all the Mr Wonderfuls in Widdop, Hunt, Mcinness, Lafai, Mcdonald and Aitken had no clue how to win for us.....and in his first year, personally, I would save my doubt for all the blokes I mentioned, who in many games did f##k all.. while Dufty pulled several games out of the fire for us
Dufty’s already a star.
The most exciting attacker since Morris.
He will be a superstar.

getsmarty

Immortal
‘The boys get around Duff’: Dragons back their fullback to hold spot
Dragons
joe_mcdonough.jpg

• December 13, 2018 3:54pm
  • Joe McDonough
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
b3e0eceeccc73c38d32d03859041535d

Matt Dufty has the support of his teammates as Corey Norman’s impending arrival threatens his No.1 jumper. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
The writing is on the wall — Corey Norman will be wearing the Dragons No.1 jersey in 2019.
Alternatively, skipper Gareth Widdop could be moved to fullback and Norman to the halves — either way the Eels’ imminent signing is not good news for Matt Dufty.

But that hasn’t stopped the St George Illawarra playing group from backing the incumbent fullback to keep his spot.

The whippet-sized custodian infamously copped a saliva-drenched spray from elder statesman James Graham when he was seen laughing in the sheds after the team was embarrassed by the Bulldogs in round 24 this year.

Dufty later told Fairfax Media it was a case of wrong place, wrong time — simply an uncontrollable crack-up at a teammate’s quip, and he was “dirtier than anyone about the loss”.

Graham reportedly didn’t harbour the grudge long. And it seems other teammates have Dufty’s back too, at a time when his career is seemingly at a crossroads.

Zac Lomax talks about a gifted 22-year-old who bounced back from his benching in that same Bulldogs clash to produce three of his best performances over the next three weeks, including their trouncing of the Broncos at Suncorp in the elimination final.

“Yeah [Dufty] played a real good couple of games in the finals series and I guess just little things like that show the kind of player he is,” Lomax told foxsports.com.au.

“He’s a real good player and shows a lot of skill and he takes a lot of confidence out of those last two games he played in the finals and I’m confident he’ll have a real good year in 2019.”

Asked if he wanted to see Dufty hold his spot, Lomax nodded and suggested he’d be a more complete player in 2019.

“Yeah for sure (I’d like him to stay at fullback). Duff’s been unreal for the Dragons especially considering this was basically his debut season really,” he said.

“Duff’s been real good and the boys get around Duff a fair bit. He’s in a real good head space at the moment and training well.

“So, yeah if he was to stay there I’d be confident we’re still going to have a good season in 2019.”

Of course, Lomax (19) — who was a revelation in the centres at the back end of the season — is all too aware that he could find himself in the back five alongside Norman next season.

“Obviously that’s not up to me and whoever’s there I’m sure the job will get done,” he said of Norman’s impending arrival.

“We’ve got a lot of leaders at the Dragons and a real good coaching staff so we won’t lose anything with either of those players and we’ll have a very good spine.

“But you’ve seen what Matt can do there in the season this year and he’s working hard, there aren’t any negative vibes at training.”

Lomax is speaking with foxsports.com.au from Emerging Blues training, a sharp rise for a teenager who’s played just four top-grade games.

But there are huge raps on the strapping outside back from Temora, and if his comments are anything to go by, there is plenty of pressure on Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken to keep their spots.

“I have spoken to Mary [McGregor] a little bit positional-wise and yeah he wants me to focus on centre, he sees me as more of a centre,” he said.

“He likes me playing a little bit more on the ball but he’s got me training at both centre and wing just to have me ready for both positions.

“I definitely prefer right centre just because I’m a right hand ball carrier and I like to fend with my left.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/8acf440a8812662787e7438251042866

possm

Coach
Dufty’s already a star.
The most exciting attacker since Morris.
He will be a superstar.
Yes! Now all he needs to do is to:
  • Improve his defence
  • Gain confidence when taking and returning the high ball
  • Improve his positional awareness

Bench
Yes! Now all he needs to do is to:
  • Improve his defence
  • Gain confidence when taking and returning the high ball
  • Improve his positional awareness
I am sure McIdiot knows the problems and the remedy to fix those issues
Then again........ Need a coach :relaxed:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Robson to be our 14 playing in the hooker rotation and the lock rotation.
Norman to play 13 until Widdop leaves and then move to 6.
Field will cover fullback and five-eighth

So we don't lose Robson or Field with the signing of Norman.
Norman won't be playing lock.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Because Norman is not a forward for starters. In today's game the lock is usually closer to a third prop with a bit more mobility and who can add a bit in attack. They have to defend in the middle and I don' think it would be good having Norman defending in the middle. Lock's also have to take hit ups in today's game.

I see Norman as an out and out half. I think halfback is his best position, but he would be suited at 5/8 next to a running halfback, which Hunt is. I really think we may have made a very astute purchase in Norman.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Robbo will go for sure. He is ready for first grade and deserves a spot and the moment Hunt goes to hooker he will be out maybe even before June 30
I am thinking Hunt to hooker and Norman to halfback could be our best option too. The thing is I think McInnes is too good to be sitting on the bench and he may want to see is he can get a first grade gig at another club. I am thinking we may be best off letting McInnes go and keeping Robson? We could have Robson on the bench giving Hunt a break mid game or coming on in last 20 minutes this year? If we did let McInnes go, then we could hopefully get another quality prop or outside back is one became available? As I said, I think McInnes is too good to be on the bench.

I won't be surprised if Widdop does make an earlier exit than he has stated. If he does, then Norman goes to 5/8 and McInnes stays hooker.

Old Timer

Coach
If Widdop is pushing to go IMO there has to be something deeply wrong as he and his family are well and truly established in their life in the gong.
If we were to lose the likes of Widdop to gain the likes of Norman what does it really say about our club?
Royal Commission required IMO.

possm

Coach
If Widdop is pushing to go IMO there has to be something deeply wrong as he and his family are well and truly established in their life in the gong.
If we were to lose the likes of Widdop to gain the likes of Norman what does it really say about our club?

Many posters on here have written about the things wrong at our Club. Norman was picked up to replace Widdop. The Eels are subsidising his salary in 2019 and if they weren't, he would not be signed for 2019.

I'm sure there has been a run-in between Widdop and coach or Widdop and a senior player. Maybe Widdop has received an offer too good to refuse from a Club in the ESL. For what ever the reason our club has decided to handle this issue bysigning Norman early.

I am not in favour of moving Hunt to hooker so that Norman can play at 7. If they need todisplace any player to make way for Norman, it should be a move that is in the overall interest of the team this year and into the future.

The 3 positions I see as targets for change are fullback, left centre and lock. My preferred outcome if Widdop is staying for the 2019 season would be:

Hunt 6 - free to be a running half
Norman 7 - organise and run the team
Widdop 1, 4 or 13 - fit in where ever it best for the team.

The Club has chosen their future halves combination so let's get on with it.

I have to say that having these 3 players on the field would create nightmares for the opposition. Also it would pave the way for the normal progression of Robson in the hooker and lock rotations.

ouryears

Bench
I guess if he always had an ambition to one day play in the UK, and he is getting older, the time is about right now for him to live out his ambition....while he is young enough to play well.

The time is right, a good offer comes along, it matches his long time ambition and he takes it up. I don’t think there is more to it than that, especially since he has been saying that his dream one day was to play in the UK.

Hopefully he will play for us in 2019, combine with Hunt and Norman and head off in 2020, not 2019. If Norman delivers and plays to his best, it may well just be the catalyst we need to shake our tag of late season chokers.
Norman playing well will provide as much, if not more, than Gareth. I know it’s an if.....but I am looking forward to seeing this work.

ouryears

Bench
I am thinking Hunt to hooker and Norman to halfback could be our best option too. The thing is I think McInnes is too good to be sitting on the bench and he may want to see is he can get a first grade gig at another club. I am thinking we may be best off letting McInnes go and keeping Robson? We could have Robson on the bench giving Hunt a break mid game or coming on in last 20 minutes this year? If we did let McInnes go, then we could hopefully get another quality prop or outside back is one became available? As I said, I think McInnes is too good to be on the bench.

I won't be surprised if Widdop does make an earlier exit than he has stated. If he does, then Norman goes to 5/8 and McInnes stays hooker.
The challenge is.....Hunt wont make 50 to 60 tackles that McInnes does every match, McInnes is a work horse, I doubt hunt has that in him. We will leak more points, I believe we need McInnes there.

Crush

Coach
McGregor wanted Hayne and was going to play him at fullback. Like many of you he isn't sold on Dufty as his 1.
I can only assume that if we have Norman, Widdop, Hunt all in the one team then Norman will play fullback. I hope that isn't the case as I am a fan of giving Dufty getting another season under his belt. He is pure X factor, something we have lacked for years.

New Dragon

Juniors
McGregor wanted Hayne and was going to play him at fullback. Like many of you he isn't sold on Dufty as his 1.
I can only assume that if we have Norman, Widdop, Hunt all in the one team then Norman will play fullback. I hope that isn't the case as I am a fan of giving Dufty getting another season under his belt. He is pure X factor, something we have lacked for years.
Dufty, Field Robbo are vulnerable so watch this space. They have been in Top 30 for two seasons now maybe three preseasons so I’d imagine they are thinking their career needs to get cranking. Can’t keep everyone as we always say but they will be the ones getting restless not millward

Latest posts