What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Eastview

Juniors
Why does everyone keep saying he is a kid and will learn... He is 25 ffs..., the interview on 360 indicated griffin believes he has ALOT to work on... At this rate he will be the complete package when he is 35

Illusion

Bench
Why does everyone keep saying he is a kid and will learn... He is 25 ffs..., the interview on 360 indicated griffin believes he has ALOT to work on... At this rate he will be the complete package when he is 35
Agree either way if he is what he is I still want him with us .... So we all seem to blame him when we lose a game and he hasn't stopped a big forward close to the line ..... If that's what happens then the rest of the team haven't done their job ...... Yea he has a few things that he needs to work on .... but he is not there to make 30 tackles a game , he is there to score tries and has the ability to set them up .... If you look at the games we have won this year and past years Dufty has had a hand in most of them ..... For now he is the best we have and will get better under Hook .....

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
Id sign Dufty up for a further contract....if he keeps sniffing around our forwards for the ball the way Pappa does with the Storm then his football will keep improving....I know at times he is rocks and diamonds but he still offers that x factor when he plays
Yes I'm now convinced he has learnt how to start playing the back up game like Papa - his link play is also up there w th best - he is very dangerous when linking up within the oppositions 20 - he either can throw short bullet pass ie: Jack Bird pass or the long pass which Hook is trying to get him stop thgrowing. I think he's worth another 2 years especially under Hook he should improve drastically..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Some points made by Hook tell me that Duf is in line for an extension of his contract. He wants to see improvement in the areas he's identified and see that consistantly not just 2 or 3 games. Deliver the goods and earn your contract.

As for fullback, a lot was written and spoken that Lomax would be our fullback, now he's cemented his true spot at right centre and I for one would change that. Now the focus is on Ramsey moving to fullback. Again it will cone down to whats right for the player and the team. I personally think wing is his best position.

Imo, Duf will get his extension of contract, but in the background a couple of jr's will also be staking their claim over the next year or 2 which will keep Dufty well and truly on his toes.

possm

Coach
Yes I'm now convinced he has learnt how to start playing the back up game like Papa - his link play is also up there w th best - he is very dangerous when linking up within the oppositions 20 - he either can throw short bullet pass ie: Jack Bird pass or the long pass which Hook is trying to get him stop thgrowing. I think he's worth another 2 years especially under Hook he should improve drastically..
We currently have our reserve grade fullback (Sloan) out injured and there is no doubt in my mind that by the start of 2022 Ramsey will be ready to do a good job at fullback so, it all depends on the dollars Dufty's manager is asking for and if Hook has already another fullback in mind.

I would love to see Dufty stay and be the utility off the bench coming on to replace the lock 10min at the end of each half, depending on the state of the game at the time. For example, if we have a big lead and want to defend that lead, a forward off the bench would be more appropriate.

Collision is still one of Dufty's worst fears, hence his reluctance to vigoursly return the high ball and take on the big boys in the last line of defence.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I agree Micky.....Im happy with his long passes to a point as long as its not over kill...otherwise it wont take opposition players long to sweat on an intercept....blokes like Gagai, Alex Johnson etc are masters at this

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Some points made by Hook tell me that Duf is in line for an extension of his contract. He wants to see improvement in the areas he's identified and see that consistantly not just 2 or 3 games. Deliver the goods and earn your contract.

As for fullback, a lot was written and spoken that Lomax would be our fullback, now he's cemented his true spot at right centre and I for one would change that. Now the focus is on Ramsey moving to fullback. Again it will cone down to whats right for the player and the team. I personally think wing is his best position.

Imo, Duf will get his extension of contract, but in the background a couple of jr's will also be staking their claim over the next year or 2 which will keep Dufty well and truly on his toes.

Yes- I have been critical of Dufty for being lacking in, not just the obvious high ball and last line of defence issues, but some of the less spoken of full back skills (positional play, communication with the defensive line etc). It was interesting to me that Hook in his NRL 360 Fox interview this week specifically mentioned the progress that he sees Dufty making in those areas. Dufty, like Papenhuyzen at Melbourne, is a match winner and a crowd puller- and every team needs at least one of them, ultimately for financial reasons. I hope Dufty succeeds and keeps making the progress that Hook is seeing but the pressure is on as Sloan & co will be knocking on the door soon.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes- I have been critical of Dufty for being lacking in, not just the obvious high ball and last line of defence issues, but some of the less spoken of full back skills (positional play, communication with the defensive line etc). It was interesting to me that Hook in his NRL 360 Fox interview this week specifically mentioned the progress that he sees Dufty making in those areas. Dufty, like Papenhuyzen at Melbourne, is a match winner and a crowd puller- and every team needs at least one of them, ultimately for financial reasons. I hope Dufty succeeds and keeps making the progress that Hook is seeing but the pressure is on as Sloan & co will be knocking on the door soon.
Dufty is a must keep. He brings excitement to our game and together with Rava and Ramsey on the wings, we have a threesome that can get us over the line in many games.

Illusion

Bench
Sloan and Co may be sound players but do they have what Dufty has .... X Factor .... Time will tell how Dufty finishes the year ..... Ramsey looks good but if he went to fullback as some are stating can he produce the same as Dufty in attack , I don't think so .... Anyway it will all pan out over the next few games and we will know more on Dufty and the team and coach ....

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Sloan and Co may be sound players but do they have what Dufty has .... X Factor .... Time will tell how Dufty finishes the year ..... Ramsey looks good but if he went to fullback as some are stating can he produce the same as Dufty in attack , I don't think so .... Anyway it will all pan out over the next few games and we will know more on Dufty and the team and coach ....

Agree about Ramsey not being a full-back, at least at this stage. It's a difficult position in the modern game. I'm still mystified why he still looks greyhound thin like last season when there was a plan for him to put on some weight in the off season.

Crush

Coach
Cmon man, you have been overly critical of Duff for too long. Only a week or so you called him the worst fullback in the comp. That’s just simply not true.
Time to wake up, he’s going well, really well and without him we aren’t as strong as we are.

Latest posts