What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Elliott

Kris_man

Bench
Raiders 2004 said:
You all forgotten when he was in the running of Coach of The Year, fixing our abysmal away record, and not letting us drop out of the Top 4 all year? Just cause this year, alot of things have happened which aren't under Elliott's control, doesn't mean he should shoulder any blame. Live With it!!!
it's alarmingly inconsistent that you give Elliott all the responsiblity for last year's success, but none for this year's failure.

Just out of interest, and I'm not trying to insinuate anything either way, but does anyone know when his contract expires? End of next year, or 2006?

Bay56

First Grade
kris_man said:
as i've said on another thread, the main bone to pick i have with elliott is the boring style of play which he coaches. it's tolerable to be boring when you're winning, but when we're boring and losing, well i just find that extremely hard to bear. there's also a lot of things which elliott says in the media which i find very frustrating, especially his refusal to admit that we're underachieving.].

all that and yo dont want him sacked ... at whay point do you think that Elliot will change.

Bay56

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
Just out of interest, and I'm not trying to insinuate anything either way, but does anyone know when his contract expires? End of next year, or 2006?

end of 2005 ... another of management's master strokes.

edabomb

First Grade
Can you honestly say we have a roster worthy of a top 8 spot?? I can't.

Can you say we had a roster worthy of a top 4 spot last year?? I didn't think so.

Fair go, maybe if we had a good all around squad you guys could bag Elliott 24/7 but the fact is we don't. Compare our squad to any in the comp, we are maybe even with the Tigers as a side. But Sheens is doing an excellent job coaching there. I'm not saying Elliott is a legend, but he shouldn't be blamed this much!!!!!

Bay56

First Grade
edabomb said:
Can you honestly say we have a roster worthy of a top 8 spot?? I can't.

Can you say we had a roster worthy of a top 4 spot last year?? I didn't think so.

Fair go, maybe if we had a good all around squad you guys could bag Elliott 24/7 but the fact is we don't. Compare our squad to any in the comp, we are maybe even with the Tigers as a side. But Sheens is doing an excellent job coaching there. I'm not saying Elliott is a legend, but he shouldn't be blamed this much!!!!!

And tell me why we dont have a roster worthy of a top 8 position.

edabomb

First Grade
We have nothing in the halves. Do you consider McLinden or Drew a top 10 half in this league?? I don't.

Our forwards are droids. We have a team of workaholics but none with the x-factor. Line breaks and good offloads are minimal. This is not the coaches fault, our established forwards simply don't have many ball playing skills.

Our outside backs are average. Gafa, Robertson etc... are good clubmen, but you will never get close to a premiership starting these two players. Gafa has potential to move in closer to the ruck but I can't really see a future for Robbo.

We have no-one with a good passing game. Any pass from our halves tends to be a hospital. Our general play kickers don't find space, and don't assist tries.

Theres my rant, how can you justify that we should be in the 8???

Bay56

First Grade
edabomb said:
We have nothing in the halves. Do you consider McLinden or Drew a top 10 half in this league?? I don't.

Our forwards are droids. We have a team of workaholics but none with the x-factor. Line breaks and good offloads are minimal. This is not the coaches fault, our established forwards simply don't have many ball playing skills.

Our outside backs are average. Gafa, Robertson etc... are good clubmen, but you will never get close to a premiership starting these two players. Gafa has potential to move in closer to the ruck but I can't really see a future for Robbo.

We have no-one with a good passing game. Any pass from our halves tends to be a hospital. Our general play kickers don't find space, and don't assist tries.

Theres my rant, how can you justify that we should be in the 8???

And who's fault is all this edabomb.

Kris_man

Bench
sheens deserves credit for bringing prince, richards, moodie, elford, sattler and hodgson to the club. i didn't rate most of these guys at the start of the year, but they've all been great. small decisions can have massive impacts, and our decision not to purchase externally last year cost us big time IMO. i think we'll be better next year cos of the external additions to out roster, but i'm not sure how much better. one things am sure of: we will be sh!t boring to watch. i'm also extremely worried that elliott will continue to exhibit a lack of faith in phil "the champ" graham by making him play the majority of yet another season in premier league.

azza

Juniors
Edabomb, granted we have some players who are rubbish but this team IS capable of playing much better footy than it is at the moment, and could definitely push for a top 4 spot. I wouldn't have thought so but what I saw at times last year was NOT a fluke - it was genuine football ability permeating through about 80% of the team. The other 20% didn't look as much like rubbish as the rest of the team covered for them well.

I think you will be very surprised how well we could go with a decent set of playmakers. They bring out the best in the rest of your players. Unfortunately Elliot doesn't want to seem to give Carney a decent go, and if he does Carney will have to coach all the attacking plays.

Of course we now have a problem with our forward pack for next year, which is decidedly weak.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade

Because of us being a Non-Sydney team, in a Sydney based comp, we struggle to bring players from other clubs to us.

Is it Elliotts fault for Canberra's geographical position?? #-o

edabomb

First Grade
Its edabomb. I know they're capable of much more, but the fact we're in 10th is hardly suprising.

I don't know whose fault our recruitment is Bay. But I'd hardly put the entire blame on Elliott. The fact he is said to be taking a bigger involvement in player negotiations now suggests he hasn't been too involved in the past.

Bay56

First Grade
Kris_man .... we have lost almost 400 games experience in two impact and have purchased a couple who will have to be tested under NRL conditions and who's heart is still to be tested. Will we better next season ... I hope so ... but management could have made some more astute purchases that may have not made this a bit of a lottery .. we can hope.

Kris_man

Bench
Raiders 2004 said:
Because of us being a Non-Sydney team, in a Sydney based comp, we struggle to bring players from other clubs to us.
oh! that explains how the brumbies manage to get such great players playing for them!
and how can you explain our juniors, ie, players who were born and raised in canberra, wanting to leave?
seriously 04, this is not a rhetorical question: what do you think elliott's responsbilities as a coach are?

edabomb

First Grade
I'm 50/50 on Carney. I see where Elliott is coming from. If we risk him now he could have a confidence crisis along the lines of Finch. Finch struggled for confidence through 2 seasons here, he goes to the Roosters and looks like a very solid first grader. We stand to lose more pinning all our hopes on Carney this season than letting him go round in PL for a little longer. Can we honestly say we are a shot at the title if Carney plays this season?? I would say no, and if a change with that many negative factors doesn't give us a shot at a premiership I'm against it, or can see the logic behind it.

Kris_man

Bench
Kris_man .... we have lost almost 400 games experience in two impact and have purchased a couple who will have to be tested under NRL conditions and who's heart is still to be tested. Will we better next season ... I hope so ... but management could have made some more astute purchases that may have not made this a bit of a lottery .. we can hope.
i have doubts about smith and adamson, but i can't wait to see frawley in the line green, likewise jermaine ale. 8) but yeah, make no mistake about it, overall i am not satisfied about recrutiment for next year.

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:

Is it Elliotts fault for Canberra's geographical position?? #-o

Thats absolute crap R04 and you know it ... given the right circumstances any player would play here ... unfortunately we are a joke and will continue to be so untill the clowns that run the club are dispensed with. We only need to make one change (Stuart as coach) and things will turn around quite quickly .... an astute coach like Stuart would not accept the sort of crap that we dish up.

Latest posts