What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

macavity

Referee
lol @ Branighan

Access denied.

I wouldnt have sex with him either..... :crazy:
150-Luke-Branighan.jpg
http://www.newtownjets.com/2008-gallery/150-Luke-Branighan.jpg

ramble_on

Juniors
Those who have aligned themselves firmly in "Clare's" court must feel a bit the same way as Branighan... except they did get f**ked over.....

Cloud9

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/somet...-be-judge-and-jury-20090514-b4s1.html?page=-1

Sometimes the media have to be judge and jury
All but a hermit would know of the absolute cracker of a Four Corners story on Monday night, called Code Of Silence. The intriguing thing is, I hear people insist the code of silence should have extended to Four Corners.
In other words, journalists have an obligation to stay schtum about a scandal in instances where no charges have been laid and where no findings of guilt have been made.
To air allegations outside a court of law amounts, variously, to gossip, to trial by media, to character assassination. Geraldine Doogue on Radio National's Saturday Extra teased with the issue last week. "There are other reactions, of indignation, towards Four Corners, I noticed. Why return to cases where no charges have been laid, these people say, with one person's word taken against another."
The answer is that journalism wouldn't function at all if reporting depended on the say-so of the police or the courts. Many allegations of wrongdoing, suspicious happenings or maladministration would simply go undisclosed.
Like it or not, sometimes in life the media have to be the judge and jury. All one can hope for is that the role is carried out carefully and responsibly.
The other element in the equation is that once a charge has been laid an investigative program such as Four Corners couldn't proceed to air. The prospects of media prejudice and contempt start ticking the moment a charge is brought.
Four Corners managed to achieve something rare in journalism - a change of attitudes, a rejection of complacent acceptance of rottenness.
The suffering of that group sex victim in New Zealand was so powerfully wrought that you just knew Matthew Johns and the whole apparatus of rugby league crisis management and subterfuge were finished.
Maybe it is no accident that it was Anne Connolly who was on the team that worked on the Four Corners program, the same Anne Connolly who did the research on the "cash for comment" story for Media Watch in 1999.
According to Media Watch this week, Victoria police's Chief Commissioner Simon Overland was unhappy that the identity of a suspected firebug was reported. Some of the questioning of this individual by commercial TV reptiles left a lot to be desired, and the old codger was even trapped into doing a lie detector test on A Current Affair, with "inconclusive" results.
Overland said: "The media was asked not to identify any possible suspects as this had the potential to compromise the investigation and in turn the success of any prosecution."
He didn't explain how it might compromise the investigation, all he added was that it could jeopardise the safety of the individual named.
The Media Watch presenter, Jonathan Holmes, went tongue in cheek, saying: "Well, come on, chief commissioner, let's keep a sense of proportion. What's the biggest murder investigation in Victoria's history beside the struggle to increase ACA's ratings?"
I think there is a more fundamental issue at stake. If there is a story with a public interest component its publication should not be at the command of a police officer, chief commissioner or otherwise.
On Wednesday in Melbourne there was a further bushfire-related attempt at media management. The bushfires royal commission has dreamed up an elaborate "protocol" to stop news reporters and camera crews following "lay" witnesses in the street and filming or questioning them.
From now on witnesses will be asked before giving evidence whether they wish to be filmed, photographed or interviewed as they leave the hearing.
If they agree, they can be filmed and questioned only "from a fixed position outside the court". According to Quentin Fogarty, the flack for the commission, "the commissioners are quite adamant about this". There followed definitions of who is a "lay" witness and who is a "public" witness.
Fogerty insists the "protocol" is working "perfectly". One of the lay witnesses said he was happy to be taped as he left and to be interviewed by The Age. That got up the nose of the other media and legal advice was sought about how far these commissioners could extend their authority over the streets of Melbourne.
None of which is to say that on occasions reporters do not behave swinishly. The point is that victims of such treatment may have a remedy without switching off journalism altogether.
You'll notice the legal eggshells over which Four Corners gingerly tiptoed on Monday night. I don't think the reporter Sarah Ferguson directly asked the New Zealand woman identified as "Clare" whether she consented to one, two or five sexual encounters.
If she had answered "no", then the recognised rugby league players may well have been able to bring defamation proceedings against the ABC because an imputation of sexual assault had been raised.
As in the criminal jurisdiction, such a civil case would have been heavily stacked in their favour because on a factual basis it is her word against the insistent chorus of male voices that the whole thing was consensual. One against eight.
?¡ Last week I neglected to give proper credit to Janine Cohen who edited, researched and produced the terrific program to mark the 20th anniversary of Media Watch. Sorry, Janine. I was temporarily unhinged.
.adSpot-textBox {clear:both;background:#fff;margin:0;padding:0;border:none;width:420px;float:right;} .adSpot-textBox h5 {background-color:#ffff;border:1px solid #ffff;color:#A1A1A1;font-size:9px;margin:0;padding:0}

She would have been rightly sued.
Round corners was concealing the truth. You're a joke Ackland.

Last edited:
Clare was very immature and unworldly at the time.

She was offering free love to footballers, an offer they gladly took up.

They are not monks or priests etc. They are working class boys who live and play hard.

A few days later she is bragging about it ( also immature and stupid).

Then its caught up with her.

She's damaged, seriously ill and needs proper counselling and care.

She needs to forgive herself, one wild night doesnt make her some evil s**t or whore. It was just a silly thing she did at the time. She didnt hurt anyone and I dont think the players, as filthy and sordid as their actions may seem, meant to hurt her. They are not sons of satan.

Given what seems to be the case now, this is about the most sensible post I've read on here.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
ohh FFS DAVE!!!!!!!!! Give up!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
No workies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Free ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dumb whore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bereft Skerrick

Juniors
Someome asked earlier why comments from female forum members have dried up in this topic. I can only answer for why I haven't added to the topic.

There's been a lot of fair, unfair, and outright shameful comments in these 90 odd pages. Opinions that people are entitled to express. Whatever I add isn't going to change anyones opinion of what happened that night, or what did/did not happen that night for that matter.

I can't fairly comment about M Johns because admittedly I thought he was a grub BEFORE this episode came to light. I also think his brother is a grub, and did before his troubles 2 years ago.

I can't fairly comment about Sharks players being involved because I hate the Sharks with the passion of 1000 fiery nuns. That's my personal opinion. That opinion does not make me a s**t, a w***e or anything else.

My comment is about the only winner in this incident. Not Johns and his wife. Not the girl. Not the unnamed players. The winner is the Daily Terror -papers sold and website hits, milking the incident for all it's worth. There's a fine line between public interest and making money/ratings/hits/selling papers.

Let's get back to the footy.

Someome asked earlier why comments from female forum members have dried up in this topic. I can only answer for why I haven't added to the topic.

There's been a lot of fair, unfair, and outright shameful comments in these 90 odd pages. Opinions that people are entitled to express. Whatever I add isn't going to change anyones opinion of what happened that night, or what did/did not happen that night for that matter.

I can't fairly comment about M Johns because admittedly I thought he was a grub BEFORE this episode came to light. I also think his brother is a grub, and did before his troubles 2 years ago.

I can't fairly comment about Sharks players being involved because I hate the Sharks with the passion of 1000 fiery nuns. That's my personal opinion. That opinion does not make me a s**t, a w***e or anything else.

My comment is about the only winner in this incident. Not Johns and his wife. Not the girl. Not the unnamed players. The winner is the Daily Terror -papers sold and website hits, milking the incident for all it's worth. There's a fine line between public interest and making money/ratings/hits/selling papers.

Let's get back to the footy.

You thought he was a grub and you hate the Sharks..weak reasons really.

Bereft Skerrick

Juniors
kia ora storm: you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm entitled to my opinion, or my unwillingness to stir the pot. What would you prefer me to say?

I think you've just proved why I was reluctant to add my 2 cents, and why other female contributors to these forums haven't added theirs.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
kia ora storm:
I think you've just proved why I was reluctant to add my 2 cents, and why other female contributors to these forums haven't added theirs.

I would say that is has more to do, that all the decent women have been sucked in by the liar that is Kiwi Clare.
Decent women should be outraged that this piece of rubbish from the sth Island of NZ has tarred all women with the same brush of being scheming , lying manipulators when it comes to any issue involving footballers.

Kiki

First Grade
tarred all women with the same brush...maybe in your tiny tiny brain blacktip. stop speaking for everyone else.

sass

Juniors
I understand what's being inferred but to BRAG immediately after, and then take it to the police four days later? That's a gap too big. And then to bring it up seven years later?

As I said, FMD.

hate to bring up old posts in the thread but as for coming forward after 7 years ... it's hardly a coincidence that freedom of information laws and statutes of limitations BOTH usually have time periods of six-seven years on them.

if they're reporting on incidents that happened seven years ago it's probably because they can get access to the relevant documents now that the time period has elapsed or because they can now talk about it with the certainty that the time period for legal action on the original event has expired.

I could not feel more certain that 4 corners approached the woman, and she didn't all of a sudden after 7 years go OH HAY MAYBE I WILL TELL MAH STORY ON NATIONAL TV.

as for whether she bragged about it ... people change their minds and deal with things differently. I'm sure matty johns view of the night was very different on the team trip than it was when he had to tell his wife. so I'm not gonna try and judge that.

ibeme

First Grade
Matthew Johns support group on Facebook has over 95000 members. Even Jaquelin Magnay has said in a audio link on smh website the the pendulum of support is swinging towards Matty. I'm surprised that Ch7 has actually put on the story regarding the latest claims about sex with union players earlier.

In the world we live in today, there is little difference between men and women with regards to empowerment. The fight has been ongoing over several decades now to empower women to make decisions and express their sexuality as they see fit without fear. And now we've finally arrived at that point, where women feel confident and empowered enough to make their own decision to engage in group sex, and suddenly the consensus from the moral crusaders is that women are incapable of making that decision. Apparently, the men should know better. In this day and age, we should each be responsible for our own decisions, regardless of whether you're male of female.

If a women engages in group sex to satisfy a fantasy, and enjoys it to the point that she's looking forward to the next time, is it still degrading to the woman? Or is it a sign that feminism has kicked a goal.

hate to bring up old posts in the thread but as for coming forward after 7 years ... it's hardly a coincidence that freedom of information laws and statutes of limitations BOTH usually have time periods of six-seven years on them.

if they're reporting on incidents that happened seven years ago it's probably because they can get access to the relevant documents now that the time period has elapsed or because they can now talk about it with the certainty that the time period for legal action on the original event has expired.

I could not feel more certain that 4 corners approached the woman, and she didn't all of a sudden after 7 years go OH HAY MAYBE I WILL TELL MAH STORY ON NATIONAL TV.

as for whether she bragged about it ... people change their minds and deal with things differently. I'm sure matty johns view of the night was very different on the team trip than it was when he had to tell his wife. so I'm not gonna try and judge that.

Well we know her motivation for speaking as she was asked that question point blank.

Reporter: Why speak now?

"Claire": umm I wanted atleast their wives and girlfriends to know what they'd done at the very least, yeah.

Reporter: Why did you want them to know?

"Claire": Part of me wanted to know (sic) because I was so angry and I wanted their lives destroyed...

Latest posts