What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns sex scandal in 2002

El Diablo

Post Whore
I've been saying it's not all about Matthew Johns, and we need to get past the personality aspect and reactions, and the legaue needs to look at the underlying issue (which includes, and massively effects leagues PR and image).

the league has looked at the issue as is evident from all the work Vagana and co are doing

its the work of hack journos like Ferguson that are trying to bring the game down that are undermining this

bartman

Immortal
the league has looked at the issue as is evident from all the work Vagana and co are doing
Needs to look harder imo. More investment, more scope to those programs. NRL putting in just $150K pa per club means 16 times the current scope on education and welfare, with 3 full-timers based in each club area.

The point you make on the media is valid, and (along with the actions of players) helps create the current climate the game's image finds itself in. But there's another thread based on NRL v AFL in the media etc etc. And we can't control the media (or the way women at large might relate to players), so the game has to do better in the education/welfare/pr stakes within the current climate.

Quite simple really imo. The entire Footy Show crew even seem to get it now, and say it quite sincerely rather than just paying lip service to it. Just as well, otherwise the game will find itself struggling in the media/public image stakes even more so in the future. Still struggling with why people would resist the game we all love doing what has to be done to get itself in the best positionf or the future....

Dave Q

Coach
Our game is full of young blokes who dont quite have a full understanding of the world and wider societal expectations and standards.

Theses sorts of "fast car lifetstyle" acts have been going on for years and will continue to go on, notwithstanding how many counsellors, reporters and cops are involved.

Young blokes will play up and theres fug all we can really do about it, except to scream at them to be good all the time.

Most will heed the message but many will not.

Thats really the end of it as far as I am concerned.

I am dissapointed that a creative soul and huge talent like Matty Johns has to take a fall.

Everyone on both sides will carry on loudly and then it will all go away until next time.

Its a farce.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
A former colleague of "Clare", Tania Boyd, came forward last night on Channel 9 to claim "Clare" had actually been bragging about the incident the following day and showed no remorse. "She was bragging about it to the staff, and quite openly saying how she had sex with several players. There was no trauma whatsoever. I'm disgusted that a woman can all of a sudden change her story from having a great time to then turning it into a terrible crime," she said.

What a suprise i cant belive mathew johns lost his job over this. The girl deserves a bullet.

The double standards typified by this type of post are staggering and serve as a great example of what is wrong with attitudes around this incident and also how blinded people can become due to their own agendas and pre-conceived ideas.

So the girl came to regret this incident - was there any other expected outcome?

Matt Johns has come to regret this incident, Brett Firman has come to regret the incident, the other players involved are so shamed that they wont even show their faces or come out and support their "mates". Bear in mind this is no ordinary mateship - mutual masturbators are a rare breed.

So all of these "players" are given the leeway to have encouraged and participated in this event, and later be able to show remorse and regret.

But Clare is not extended the same courtesy. Because we have a third party who claims she bragged about it, before showing obvious regret -she is to be shamed and disbelieved.

If all of this is so consensual and normal then why the shame and regret? Trish Johns doesn't seem to think this is normal or anything to be proud of, nor does Matt Johns. Other people involved are so shamed they have gone to ground.

Other players on tour who were not involved have been quick to speak out and identify themselves, such is the shame and abhorrence.

Ex players such as Tommy Raudonikis and Noel Cleal have been quick to come out and deny any such ongoing culture of degrading behaviour.

Yet we still see posts and comments from people claiming that this is normal and that Matt Johns in particular has been treated unfairly.

But there is a common thread here - obvious to anyone who bothers to look.

Everyone who says this is normal does so under the cloak of anonymity. Not one person - online or in other media - is willing to put their name against the comments of support. If this wasn't such shameful and degrading behaviour perhaps they would.

Scorpio30

Bench
I can see Monday morning recovery sessions for 2010..."Just get in the pool guys and do a few lengths and when you get out we will have the paper work ready for you to fill in detailing your sexual activity from Friday night until early this morning. Then we'll send it off to the NRL and media to review morals".

Sounds ridiculous because.... its nobodys freaking business.

Evenflow

Bench
So all of these "players" are given the leeway to have encouraged and participated in this event, and later be able to show remorse and regret.

Oh FFS! Why do all the bleeding hearts in this matter conveniently leave out the fact that the police said and i quote "I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed," Now to you that might sound like there's some element of doubt but it sure as sh*t says to me that they were very confident that nothing illegal went down.

You're all hellbent on trying to make out we're solely basing our opinions on that one witness but that's just utter bullsh*t. Do you think out of the 80+ witnesses the cop interviewed they only questioned this one workmate? Of course not, they would've questioned every single one of them and you can bet your bottom dollar that all of them said the same thing otherwise i think it's fair to say that this other woman wouldn't have come out and said what she did if she had nothing or nobody to back her up.

I also think it'd be fair to say that if this other girl didn't in fact work with Clare and wasn't interviewed by the cops then that'd be found out by now as well not to be legit. The cops were obviously very satisfied that nothing illegal happened and you'd reckon that'd have much to do with what her co-workers have said in that she was bragging about the night before. That's pretty damning evidence in anyone's language. But let me guess, the workmate, the other workers and the players are all lying and they've well and truly pulled the wool over the eyes of the bungling buffoons that are the NZ police force? Yeah keep clutching mate :lol:

So get this ridiculous notion (fantasy) out of your noggin that people are basing their opinion solely on what this other girl has said. They already had an opinion before that and all this has done is strengthened it and vidicated it.

CanadianEagle

Juniors
Is a nothing incident

It happened in my hometown, was a wee bit of media interest about some allegations but absolutely nothing came of them

Shiiiit... Isn't that far from the truth, it may be the case but the media doesn't think so... Just goes to show what kind of impact the media has on Rugby League in Australia :roll:

God-King Dean

Immortal
We're gonna have sex scandals every year, & there's not a thing people can do about it. People are people.

The wowsters & doomsayers are lolable.

bartman

Immortal
We're gonna have sex scandals every year, & there's not a thing people can do about it. People are people.

The wowsters & doomsayers are lolable.
And the sponsors and people out there that fill in the DT polls saying the scandals effect their view of the game will continue to form their views.

StormChaser

First Grade
Hey Dodge, dunno if you're interested, but this was posted on Stormchaser's LU wall:

Also another agenda type love-in wall post on Stormchaser's profile:

I knew the FFB was a pickup joint...

Why are you stalking my profile page? You have a crush too? Get in line behind Timmothay. :lol:

StormChaser? :lol: She's done little but expound the virtues of how women are marginalised and it's all the man's fault.

O rly? lol, show me exactly where I said it's all "the mans fault" you dolt! I've been making fun of YOUR attitude that it's all black and white and if a "crime" hasn't been comitted then it's all good. Remember, as Gus Gould so eloquently pointed out "Just because you get the green light, doesn't mean that it's ok to proceed":sarcasm:

Not to get in another slanging match, but do you think the reason the many other females on the board have suddenly become quiet have done so because they realized they were most likely wrong given the new evidence that has come to light?

Why is that disappointing? Shouldn't you be happy that it has pretty much found or should i say confirmed that nothing illegal had gone on in the room like 4C would have us believe? What i can't understand for the life of me is that some people just can't admit they they were wrong and are actually seeking out reasons/theory's just to vidicate their original thoughts on this particular case?

Why not just admit to being wrong? That would mean our players aren't guilty of one of the most abhorrent crimes there is and that's rape. Isnt that more important that being wrong? If rape were proven that would have done major damage, perhaps irretrievable damage to the game. It's done enough damage already but nowhere near enough where it can't recover from soon enough and a damn sight less damage than if it was proved to be forced upon her.

You're missing the point, and I already pointed out here http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=5639606&postcount=1166 that IF it turns out that we've all been duped, then I'm HAPPY to be wrong. I don't want this sport that I love to be dragged through the mud anymore than anyone else.
What I'm disappointed about is the lack of females responding in this thread and others like it, that's what I mean, I wasn't referencing the current situation.

Apey

Staff member
What are you talking about?

I've been saying it's not all about Matthew Johns, and we need to get past the personality aspect and reactions, and the legaue needs to look at the underlying issue (which includes, and massively effects leagues PR and image).

This was actually the gist of the entire footy show discussions on it last night, beside the one bit where Gus spoke about how Johns has been handling it.

Finally, Timmah looked like he had realised that there is an issue to be discussed separately beyond Johns, and beyond the Christchurch girl, and the consent and blah blah blah. That's what my comment to him you've quoted was about...

Like I said - my apologies if I took it the wrong way, and I probably have. I originally read it as if you were celebrating Timmah for each quote you bolded separately rather than together I suppose which is a whole different story.. :crazy:

bartman

Immortal
Like I said - my apologies if I took it the wrong way, and I probably have. I originally read it as if you were celebrating Timmah for each quote you bolded separately rather than together I suppose which is a whole different story.. :crazy:
No worries Apey, no probs at all.

Timmah and I have a good laugh at each other in here in general ;-). He's a good bloke underneath it all I'm sure, just a bit too serious about what he types and easy to wind up sometimes.

Dave Q

Coach
Oh FFS! Why do all the bleeding hearts in this matter conveniently leave out the fact that the police said and i quote "I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed," Now to you that might sound like there's some element of doubt but it sure as sh*t says to me that they were very confident that nothing illegal went down.

You're all hellbent on trying to make out we're solely basing our opinions on that one witness but that's just utter bullsh*t. Do you think out of the 80+ witnesses the cop interviewed they only questioned this one workmate? Of course not, they would've questioned every single one of them and you can bet your bottom dollar that all of them said the same thing otherwise i think it's fair to say that this other woman wouldn't have come out and said what she did if she had nothing or nobody to back her up.

I also think it'd be fair to say that if this other girl didn't in fact work with Clare and wasn't interviewed by the cops then that'd be found out by now as well not to be legit. The cops were obviously very satisfied that nothing illegal happened and you'd reckon that'd have much to do with what her co-workers have said in that she was bragging about the night before. That's pretty damning evidence in anyone's language. But let me guess, the workmate, the other workers and the players are all lying and they've well and truly pulled the wool over the eyes of the bungling buffoons that are the NZ police force? Yeah keep clutching mate :lol:

So get this ridiculous notion (fantasy) out of your noggin that people are basing their opinion solely on what this other girl has said. They already had an opinion before that and all this has done is strengthened it and vidicated it.

Thats right, the whole thing is a massive beat-up and an absolute farce.

Evenflow

Bench
What I'm disappointed about is the lack of females responding in this thread and others like it, that's what I mean, I wasn't referencing the current situation.

ok that's fair enough. But did you think maybe, just maybe that some girls don't think along the same lines as you? Do you expect other girls to instantly think like you, have your beliefs and stick up for the sisterhood so to speak just because they are girls irrespective of what facts are presented and regardless of the situation? Not being smart their either.

In this case or thread in particular, probably the reason they haven't come in is because they've looked at all the facts presented objectively and reasoned that the evidence mounted clearly supports the players version of events. I just think sometimes that some girls are far too quick to play the man v woman equality (or lack thereof) card without taking in and considering all the facts of any given situation.

It might surprise you but i actually agree that women get the rough end of the pineapple in many ways and should get a fairer go. Now all the blokes are gonna turn on me now for saying that :lol:

Parra

Referee

You're missing the point. I don't see the legality of this being discussed anywhere.

What I am saying is that the players involved do not appear proud of their involvement. There is remorse from the players - there was remorse back in 2002 if Johns is to be believed - and I see no reason why he would lie about this.

So we are not looking at some "she'll be right" scenario. At least one participant - Johns - was concerned enough to check on the very night in question. Something wasn't right.

He also apologised. The other players involved are too ashamed to show their faces. They were willing participants who also have changed their tune.

We are looking at an event that has been an utter disaster for all concerned - and utterly worse for "Clare". Yet some people still make apologies for it and seek to defend the players actions.

The players themselves don't even try to do this.

Dave Q

Coach
You're missing the point. I don't see the legality of this being discussed anywhere.

What I am saying is that the players involved do not appear proud of their involvement. There is remorse from the players - there was remorse back in 2002 if Johns is to be believed - and I see no reason why he would lie about this.

So we are not looking at some "she'll be right" scenario. At least one participant - Johns - was concerned enough to check on the very night in question. Something wasn't right.

He also apologised. The other players involved are too ashamed to show their faces. They were willing participants who also have changed their tune.

We are looking at an event that has been an utter disaster for all concerned - and utterly worse for "Clare". Yet some people still make apologies for it and seek to defend the players actions.

The players themselves don't even try to do this.

Clare was very immature and unworldly at the time.

She was offering free love to footballers, an offer they gladly took up.

They are not monks or priests etc. They are working class boys who live and play hard.

A few days later she is bragging about it ( also immature and stupid).

Then its caught up with her.

She's damaged, seriously ill and needs proper counselling and care.

She needs to forgive herself, one wild night doesnt make her some evil s**t or whore. It was just a silly thing she did at the time. She didnt hurt anyone and I dont think the players, as filthy and sordid as their actions may seem, meant to hurt her. They are not sons of satan.

LOL. Anyone heard the latest news (as per Channel 7 News)
The owner of the Hotel at the time said on the day of the group sex, 'Clare' came to work boasting she had sex with 2 high profile rugby union players in the toilets the night before.
Ahhh man this is falling apart for her.
Serves her right..