What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns, the Media Rape Libel and the War Against Sport - Letter to Gus

sportive cupid

Referee
I believe that over the coming days and weeks there exists a critical moment where either 'Clare's' narrative of the event, or Matthew's, will win out in the public's mind. If 'Clare's' wins, then Matthew is forever branded a rapist and his career is over permanently. At the moment she is dominating the air and print space and has the media's favour, and by virtue of that alone she will win and get her revenge. The tide appears to be turning, in another thread I commented that the media is now asking the question of whether she will be charged with making false accusation.
Sorry,that's just plain wrong. She got part of an ABC documentary in which she would have had no say in its editing.

Matty Johns had a full interview with Tracy Grimshaw where he could have put his case.He chose to spend that emphasising that the girl was a willing participant.

The workmates appear to be getting lots of tabloid time(the boss appears to be changing his story as well btw.At first he seemed to say she was a good worker etc, now he seems is saying she is a s**t but hey..it's good copy).

ramble_on

Juniors
I'm having trouble following your argument.You say that Clare is lying part of your evidence for this is that she has failed to pursue civil justice? Then you say that Mattew Johns could persue civil justice -an in fact has a precedence in the Mark McGaw case.(which I confess I have no real interest in)Yet his failure to do this is more to do with the difficulties such a case would pose for sucess.?

Do you actually read your own posts?

I do believe he said that (using the US case again) Mathew Johns would be better off suing the media, rather than try to sue the girl. Couldn't be bothered going back through his posts to find it though.....

Canard

Immortal
As much as I feel that the NRL has copped a unfair tarnish in this episode, and the AFL has got off scott free, what could M Johns possibly "sue" the media for?

ramble_on

Juniors
4 Corners did a story that cost him his jobs, without doing enough research into the claims of an anonymous "victim". Although they were very careful not to actually call it a sexual assault...... of course I'm no legal expert and there may be no way he could sue at all..... but I'd be surprised if that was the case....

Kiki

First Grade
You fail the moral test. It is never fair to be slandered as a rapist, you may not be doing it, but by not condemning it, by having no empathy for the man, you are condoning it. Public profile or not, nobody deserves to be slurred as a rapist, unless found guilty or at fault by the courts. There is no moral middle ground, either you find it abhorrent, or you think its ok.

I FAIL THE MORAL TEST :lol:

you are a deadset lunatic mate. seriously. kinda scary.

Razor

Coach
The workmates appear to be getting lots of tabloid time(the boss appears to be changing his story as well btw.At first he seemed to say she was a good worker etc, now he seems is saying she is a s**t but hey..it's good copy).

It was the manager who said she was a good worker, and the owner who said she's a liar. 2 different people.

The Dodger

First Grade
why does everyone say that she was in the room with two guys, then more guys walked in.

what if most of the guys were in the room when she walked in?

edit:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...60-661,00.html

Mr Butterfield said the woman had crowed to staff about a sexual liaison with two footballers in the men's toilet at a sports bar the night before the group sex session.
It is not known if they were Cronulla players.
She claims that on the following night, Cronulla players climbed in through the bathroom window of Room 15, where she was having sex with Johns and Brett Firman.
Mr Butterfield, whose son built the motel-style unit, said that was not possible.
"There's no way you can get through the window," he said.
"They were a great bunch of guys. It was a pleasure to have them here. They would be welcomed back any time."
Mr Butterfield said he felt sorry for Johns and his family.
"His kids think of him as a hero, and he is. But he's being portrayed as a gang rapist, and he isn't," he said.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
4 Corners did a story that cost him his jobs, without doing enough research into the claims of an anonymous "victim". Although they were very careful not to actually call it a sexual assault...... of course I'm no legal expert and there may be no way he could sue at all..... but I'd be surprised if that was the case....

Im not sure any of that is defaming the guy whoever, it was more just presenting a story, which pretty much was what happened (the only issue in dispute is the "consent" aspect) if he has an issue with losing his job/s that probably something he has to take up with his employer.

Thinking about it more though the one person who got off really lightly was Dane Tilse, what he did was f**king Despicable! To go into some random girls room get on top of her and start feeling her up??? WTF?

bartman

Immortal
Yep, a lot of people were thinking Tilse was treated unfairly at the time... amazing what some level of detail about incidents does to the assumption that it's always the woman at fault, or the media to blame?

CanadianEagle

Juniors
hen you say that Mattew Johns could persue civil justice -an in fact has a precedence in the Mark McGaw case.(which I confess I have no real interest in)Yet his failure to do this is more to do with the difficulties such a case would pose for sucess.?

Do you actually read your own posts?

I believe the man's name is 'Matthew Johns'.
Persue and sucess could use a little work also :lol:

millersnose

Post Whore
SC you have attacked the owner of the establishment in this thread and then it was pointed out to you you were wrong

can you bring yourself to post a retraction?

does it hurt you so much to be wrong?

sportive cupid

Referee
Yes I did say that the owner appears to have changed his mind.Somone pointed out that it was the manager who is supportive of the girl not the manager ,so yes I did innocently misrepresent the owner of the establishment.

Lucky I didn't go on to call him some abusive name or something.

Are you going to produce your evidence for the serial gang banger label-or are you going to post a retraction instead?

millersnose

Post Whore
i have said nothing inaccurate

you have

where is your retraction

you seem hellbent for a week trying to paint decent people as gang rapists

you are a disgusting person with your moral crusade - you have a history of racism and dishonesty so i am not surprised

Shorty

Staff member
Looks like gobbledegook to me.

Just another opinion disguised as pseudo intellectualism.

I'll summarise the whole post

The writer thinks Johns is innocent. The writer hasn't provided anything to refute "Clare's" claims. That's all. Didn't need all the waffle.

You can call me "Splinters" about the whole thing. I wasn't there. I can't make an informed opinion. I'll readily throw up questions against popular opinion in order to try and cut through the chaff. Not here, but I have in the Sharks forum.

AFAIC all I read is lies from both sides, muckraking from all quarters, punch and counter punch but very little by way of fact.
Of course it is.
Somehow the OP thinks that his opinion is more fruitful or important than others:?
Thinking about it more though the one person who got off really lightly was Dane Tilse, what he did was f**king Despicable! To go into some random girls room get on top of her and start feeling her up??? WTF?
Yeah....it's strangely eerie on that regard.
Maybe someone should start a thread on that, mind you I'm sure there would be at least one 'Lying sl*t' comment.
Yep, a lot of people were thinking Tilse was treated unfairly at the time... amazing what some level of detail about incidents does to the assumption that it's always the woman at fault, or the media to blame?
Of course but you dare not take the side of the footballer involved and LU's very own witchhunt ensues.

RM, you have been told repeately in this thread that little anyone has labeled Johns a rapist, not even the woman involved has.
You also expect the woman to have filed a civil lawsuit but Johns shouldnt?

Tiger-lord 75

Juniors
[.Actually Hansard is in fact what people say in parliament:shock:The reporter writes it down,but I can assure you it is as reliable as the Daily Telegraph.

That's not true mate.... Hansard is an EXACT transcript of what is said in Parliament. The reporters than summarise it for their columns - thats where things become misinterpreted.