What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McLinden

greeneyed said:
If management really wanted to keep McLinden, some clause in his contract would not have stopped them from keeping him. The club just let him go..... they didn't want to keep him.

greeneyed, I take you to be an intelligent guy... but you're just doing this to prove your own crusade against management.

Didn't you read his quotes in the official website article?!

-------

"Money has nothing to do with it,” McLinden said of his decision to leave. “The Raiders have looked after me really well, but there’s something no club in Australia could offer me and that’s the opportunity to travel overseas and experience a different culture.

“I always wanted to go to England but only when I was younger. I don’t see the attraction of going over there towards the end of my career with a family.

“This decision is harder than you can imagine. It’s a total unknown, it’s scary, but the Raiders have been great.

---------

Seriously... wake up.

How could management have done anything if he had a get out clause in his contract? The clause wouldn't have been "Can only escape if management approve", because then what's the point of that clause, if it's the same thing as someone who doesn't have a clause and just asks for a release? It was McLinden's doing.

End. Of. Story.

greeneyed

First Grade
I know this is on shaky ground, as to point out I know something about management is not popular with our moderators. However, I have a lot of staff who work for me, and I don't have them on contract. They can leave anytime. If I really want to keep key people, I work out a way of doing it. I offer them good career opportunities etc etc. If the club wanted to keep McLinden, they would have. I can see they simply let him go... in fact, I suspect they engineered his departure, if the Fielden stuff is true.

Don't talk to me about escape clauses. Despite claims to the contrary, Mark Gasnier had one in his contract, and St George managed to keep him. Let's just admit it. Our management didn't want to keep Macca.

woodgers

Bench
Agree Edabomb. I am pretty happy with the outcome even if we don't get Fielden. I mean how many chances did Macca need in 6 years? He was a nothing player and I finished this season with no time for him. I hope I don't offend those saying he was their favourite, that isn't the intention, but I just can't see how we were going to move forward with him. It is harsh but even though he was young, he had become deadwood. He will go to the ESL and his defence will still be suspect there - which says something. I think this is a godsend if it means Carney gets the first chop at the halfback spot. I really shouldn't say it but here goes........If Jason Smith plays starting halfback in the first game, I hope he gets injured. I want Elliott FORCED to play Carney so that he shows his worth and retains the spot.

Basically McLinden has wanted to go play in the UK for a while now, before he signed his last contract he indicated he was really looking towards the UK sooner rather than later. He's got his chance when Dennis Moran shifted clubs (London to Wigan) and quite simply he's going to be the main man at London for the next 3 years with little or no competition. To him - the money of course made a difference (whenever someone in any profession says that it doesn't... well you get the idea) - but it was more the opportunity at London and the fact he wanted to play in the UK full stop. So it's his decision and he's made the one that suits him.

Now the reason he didn't want to stay in Canberra is pretty clear. The club signed Jason Smith to play five-eighth and be the chief playmaker for 2005, and has Todd Carney to play half and be the chief organiser. (with some very talented players in the wings). Now I don't know about you but as a Raiders fan I like the idea of Smith-Carney being the halves combination in those roles. So I ask the question - where does McLinde fit into that equation? I don't believe he does. Sure he'd be nice off the bench but at the end of the day in my football team I want a clear cut half and five eighth who have their role for the whole game, not just in stages. McLinden would have cut into Carney's development and the chances of that duo really clicking. Sure he would have been an asset but sometimes you can have all the assets available and still not have the best chemistry. For the sake of the Raiders continuity in the key playmaking positions (which we DID NOT have last year) this decision works in our best interests.

Well said Prod. Really well said. I believe a coach should persist with a potentially fantastic combination even if they struggle at first. If we get Fielden then our forwards will match it with the best of them. With Withers coming off the bench I reckon we will catch quite a few sides on the back foot and then Carney will get a chance to run the show. It is an exciting time for the Raiders. Most in the NRL forum are predicting us for the spoon, it couldn't be further from my way of thinking right now. I honestly believe that the side Legend posted before would give any side a shake, on any ground.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
If they helped Macca out the door to get Fielden then I'm happy.

Let's all pray for the Fielden signing(you better be right Robbie D)

:clap: (closest I could get to a praying emoticon :D )

greeneyed this is nothing to do with me being a mod, I have my own opinions and you'd know if you read my posts that I wish we had different management, I just don't think they should be blamed for everything.

My point is, Macca wanted that clause in there when he signed the contract, and if he didn't get it, I doubt he would've re-signed as it is. If Gasnier had a clause in his contract, then why didn't he take it up? Because the way a get-out clause works is that the PLAYER has an escape out... the club doesn't have to approve it. They can walk out any time they want. And Macca wanted to go to England. If you read the quotes, it seems fairly clear cut to me. But anyway this is like ](*,) so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree woodgers but it is a risk
we are risking it all on Carney, if he takes a while to to settle in which would happen then we may not do that well, i think for this year we may have to cop a reasonable bad year in order to set ourselves for the future

greeneyed

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
greeneyed this is nothing to do with me being a mod, I have my own opinions and you'd know if you read my posts that I wish we had different management, I just don't think they should be blamed for everything.

My point is, Macca wanted that clause in there when he signed the contract, and if he didn't get it, I doubt he would've re-signed as it is. If Gasnier had a clause in his contract, then why didn't he take it up? Because the way a get-out clause works is that the PLAYER has an escape out... the club doesn't have to approve it. They can walk out any time they want. And Macca wanted to go to England. If you read the quotes, it seems fairly clear cut to me. But anyway this is like ](*,) so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

IBG. I am not saying you have deleted any of my posts about the general subject as to whether I know anything about "management"... not Raiders management... but the theory and practice of management.

greeneyed

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:

My point is St George found out a way of keeping him. I find ways of keeping people who are made all sorts of job offers if I really want to keep them. It doesn't generally take extra money... in fact, never is it a question of money in my experience. It is making sure people are happy in their jobs... ensuring they are developing and enjoying it... using your influence.... judiciously... and recognising the person's career interests too... but using your influence to get the outcome you want as a manager as well.

The bottom line is our management COULD have convinced Macca he has a future here and that they desperately want to keep him, if they WANTED. I think they actually wanted to offload him. Some people here think that is a good idea. Fine. But I think it is crazy to say, "management can do nothing about it, as he has a clause in his contract".

greeneyed said:
It doesn't generally take extra money... in fact, never is it a question of money in my experience.

Bingo.

"Money has nothing to do with it,” McLinden said of his decision to leave. “The Raiders have looked after me really well, but there’s something no club in Australia could offer me and that’s the opportunity to travel overseas and experience a different culture.

“I always wanted to go to England but only when I was younger. I don’t see the attraction of going over there towards the end of my career with a family."

*nods*

greeneyed

First Grade
Yes, all the time, I have people who work for me say... "I always wanted to do [this]......"

Then I say... "Yes, but have you considered this..... or that.... is that what you really want to do? don't you want to prove yourself on this or that?... what if we put you on this project or that or give you this role or that? What if I get you this training opportunity, so we develop you....... You know you really can go travelling on a short leave without pay...... "

You see... It is not about money .... and it is about persuasion, coaching, discussion..... If you understood something about management, this is what good management does.

Our management just let McLinden go.

greeneyed

First Grade
I know this seems strange to people who have never been in a management role... but it is actually what good managers do. They attract and retain the best talent. They work on developing the talented people they have.

Our management is shedding talented people and isn't doing a great job ad developing them either.

Edwahu

Bench
I will hold off on management untill the Fielden rumour is resolved one way or the other. If we get him then Elliot deserves a medal because it would be a case of him saving our arses after Management screwed up our recruitment so badly.

I will say that we have lost our two most popular and recognisable players in the last 6 months. I would hate to see season tickets sales come march. Now might be a good time to start getting some of the new players a profile.

Paullyboy

Coach
greeneyed said:
I know this seems strange to people who have never been in a management role... but it is actually what good managers do. They attract and retain the best talent. They work on developing the talented people they have.

Our management is shedding talented people and isn't doing a great job ad developing them either.

I completely agree that people can be swayed by good management, however you and I both know that there are circumstances where a person is not interested in what you have to say. I too have been able to offer people incentives and what not and changed opinions, but there are some out there that you just cant change.

Im giving the club the benefit of the doubt on this one and hoping thats what has happened here.

greeneyed

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
greeneyed said:

I completely agree that people can be swayed by good management, however you and I both know that there are circumstances where a person is not interested in what you have to say. I too have been able to offer people incentives and what not and changed opinions, but there are some out there that you just cant change.

Im giving the club the benefit of the doubt on this one and hoping thats what has happened here.

This is fine, but I really doubt any effort was put in to retain Macca. I actually think they wanted him to leave. They shouldn't pretend otherwise.

greeneyed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
whoa, paullyboy!
you should pop your head in a bit more paully, you are a smart bloke

R 69... you really are a funny guy. And without Quinny or ed doing their jobs, you are doing a good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed said:
Raider_69 said:
whoa, paullyboy!
you should pop your head in a bit more paully, you are a smart bloke

R 69... you really are a funny guy. And without Quinny or ed doing their jobs, you are doing a good one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

appreciate the words greeneyed
i do what i can for the good of raiders fans on these forums, im a people person :) :lol: