What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MEDIA STATEMENT - Official site

Hellsy

Immortal
MEDIA STATEMENT
21 November 2005

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club wishes to clarify a number of issues raised in weekend media reports.

• The decision not to extend the contract of the Head Coach beyond the 2006 season was made by the Board of Directors at its meeting on 24 October 2005. This came following a recommendation presented by Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald.
  • The Chief Executive met with Club captain Nathan Cayless on Wednesday 16 November and informed him of the Board's decision. The Chief Executive also met with the entire playing roster on Thursday 17 November, his first opportunity to do so following the resumption of training for the 2006 season.
  • A Coaching Director or Coordinator will not be employed.
  • The Club made the announcement at this time in order to give the Head Coach and the players, together with the Club, every opportunity to plan for season 2007 in a timely manner.
  • The Club hopes to settle on a new coach prior to the commencement of next season, so that he may determine the retention and recruitment of players for the 2007 season.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1211.asp

The official statement from the club..... nothing we didn't know already

Nuffy

Bench
As a Newcastle supporter I think I can provide some insight into the Hagan issues.

Heres what I wrote on the Knights Forum

So the super coach wants to go to Parra.

Good Luck, hes been a passenger at our club for several years now.

Perhaps someone can tell me exactly what part of the club has improved under his stewardship?

Retention of players - failure.
Recruitment of players - Failure.
Development of players - failure.
Results of club - absolute failure.
Attacking performance - failure.
Defensive performance - failure.
QLD coach - failure.
Benefits of QLD coach flowing through to club - failure.

Need I say more.

Don't assume because he won a comp in 01 that hes some kind of guru, hes not, we had a fantastic team, with most of our bignames playing most of the season, since then hes shown little ability to deal with injury problems or develop players and tactics to adjust.

PS I think Hagan may be a big chance, your press release suggests that they want this done before Feb 07 which means something is well advanced.

strider

Post Whore
Dude, Newcastles biggest problem is that Andrew Johns wants to keep making a sh*tload no matter how old and injury prone he is becoming...he takes up so much cap room that you guys have no cover when injuries strike (and I mean none)....older players need to start taking a little less $$$s for their teams to keep competative.

If it was Hagan's fault that they keep giving the keys to the city to Joey, then yeah he sucks :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
hey Nuffy!

I'd like to ask you this question, will your management persist on offering sub standard resources to your coaching staff? do you have a full time medical staff as yet?

Nuffy

Bench
Strider

Who do you think signs off on the Joey contract, Hagan grades the players as is his priority, he wants Johns, he has to wear the consequences.

As a Newcastle supporter I know we've gone backwards since 01 and without bagging the Parra club, it would be the best thing that happens to Newcastle if he leaves.

Hagan had no coaching pedigree when he got the job...........none. He was a good bloke that everyone liked...........that was it!

He won a comp with a team assembled and coached by Ryan, where every single star player was available for most of the year and that included Joey at the peak of his form. We've gone backwards every year since.

If you think Hagan is the answer to your problems then sh*t you have some massive problems at Parra.

Caveat Emptor

Hellsy

Immortal
I don't think he is the answer to Parra's problems.. but I'd love to be proven wrong

shiftysmith

Juniors
Nuffy said:
Strider

Who do you think signs off on the Joey contract, Hagan grades the players as is his priority, he wants Johns, he has to wear the consequences.

As a Newcastle supporter I know we've gone backwards since 01 and without bagging the Parra club, it would be the best thing that happens to Newcastle if he leaves.

Hagan had no coaching pedigree when he got the job...........none. He was a good bloke that everyone liked...........that was it!

He won a comp with a team assembled and coached by Ryan, where every single star player was available for most of the year and that included Joey at the peak of his form. We've gone backwards every year since.

If you think Hagan is the answer to your problems then sh*t you have some massive problems at Parra.

Caveat Emptor
well said

Nuffy

Bench
We've put all the pieces in place for next year........everything.

No doubt that resources was an issue, but simply, Hagan got what he asked for!

If resources were an issue, they should have been raised prior to them becoming an issue, such as in 2002, not 2005. Its called be proactive.

Also the resources didn't hold us back in 01.

The average Newcastle supporter is more concerned about the structural things within the club, defensive performance, player development, retention, recruitment, everything a coach oversees.

Hey, if youre happy to get Hagan then I'm also happy, but we aren't sad to see him go.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nuffy said:
We've put all the pieces in place for next year........everything.

No doubt that resources was an issue, but simply, Hagan got what he asked for!

If resources were an issue, they should have been raised prior to them becoming an issue, such as in 2002, not 2005. Its called be proactive.

Also the resources didn't hold us back in 01.

The average Newcastle supporter is more concerned about the structural things within the club, defensive performance, player development, retention, recruitment, everything a coach oversees.

Hey, if youre happy to get Hagan then I'm also happy, but we aren't sad to see him go.

and why did Mark Seargent get up and walk away from the club half way through the season after giving years of service to the club?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Nuffy said:
Strider

Caveat Emptor

Totally agree

if we sign Hagan we are up the sh*tter. He'll probably bring George Carmont with him :lol:

I doubt any Newcastle fan would lose a minutes sleep over losing Hagan.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah I'm a tad nervous about this whole affair...

To be honest, to go from Brian Smith to Michael Hagan seems like a downgrade....No offence to him or Knights fans....But in recent years his coaching form has been poor...

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Hagan is in the Ricky Stuart mould... if things go right, he can deliver with an inherited team, but he's basically someone that uses teams up and brings them down rather than building them up.

Smith is in the same mould as Graham Murray in being the opposite... a coach who can build up a team, but has trouble getting them over the final hurdle.

Of all the candidates that have been offered, Sheens is possibly the best option in terms of someone who can get a team over the line, but also build them up if necessary.

bartman

Immortal
If they are officially saying the want the new coach involved in retention recruitment of players from when an announcement is made in February, that would make it hard for someone coaching an existing team in the same competition to do that impartially, unless they quit early.

So to me this announcement boosts JT's chances or maybe Daniel Anderson doing it from across the globe?

Morenito

Juniors
bartman said:
If they are officially saying the want the new coach involved in retention recruitment of players from when an announcement is made in February, that would make it hard for someone coaching an existing team in the same competition to do that impartially, unless they quit early.

So to me this announcement boosts JT's chances or maybe Daniel Anderson doing it from across the globe?

Very true, would be weird to have Hagan deciding to stays and goes half way through the season and imagine theres a top Parra player off contract and looking to sign with Newcastle. Haha What does Hagan do?? "No son you dont want to come here to Newcastle, you should stay where you are"

griffo346

First Grade
well i hope parra signs someone better then hagen

im glad at the club im a fan off (penrith) we have a good coach

El Diablo

Post Whore
griffo346 said:
well i hope parra signs someone better then hagen

imo if they signed the cleaner it would be better than Hagan

If Hagan is signed it wouldn't be long untill JT and others left. Expect any good juniors to up and bolt too.

I seriously doubt Hagan would attract quality players to the club either.

It will be a dark day in the history of Parramatta if Hagan is signed. I would rate him as one of the worst coaches going around.