What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet the Skanks

It's the exact opposite. I want the players to be treated exactly the same as a normal person. In Seymour's case here, he did nothing except get a bit too drunk. I've been there. I'm sure you've been there. Virtually everybody over 18 (and quite a few under) have been there.

If they are accused of a crime, they should get the 'innocent until proven guilty' that everyone else is. If they are then proven guilty, then they should be locked up just like everybody else would have been.

Read the biographies of any player from 15+ years ago and you'll see that they went out and drunk themselves silly far more that the players of today do. But because the media generally didn't force them to live in a fishbowl, nobody really complained then.

That's just it mate. These blokes are earning 5 times what we earn as a "hard working" public. Do you think it is professional of them to go out, drink up and act the idiot?

Let's look at their public image. Kids look up to these players. I remember when I was a little bloke, I loved blokes like Mal Meninga, Steve Renouf, Ken Nagas, Laurie Daley, Glen Lazuras, ect. I rarely (yes, rarely), heard any issues in regards to football players and their drunken behavious.

The media has always been around and has always been hungry for a story. Whilst yes, there have been your Willie Carnes, Andrew Walkers of the past, I still can't remember seeing my hero's back then doing any wrong in the public eye. Granted, I wasnt old enough for the nightlife and probably missed alot of stuff "swept" under the carpet, but you cannot honestly tell me that these kids handle the grog as well as the blokes of yesteryear did?

Especially nowadays with the polynesians. NO, I'm not racist, I have loads of great polynesian mates and have played footy with a hell of alot of them. But let's be fair dinkum, these guys can't handle the piss. They will fight their best mate as soon as they touch adrop. And that's the issue. It's been like that for years. Even with the aboriginee's, and I am one myself. Islanders from the asian pacific just cannot handle alcohol.

I ask you, is it that hard to get off the piss for 5 months whilst earning 250k a year? Could you do it?

Last edited:

Kiki

First Grade
i love the irony of the telegraph buying the video and then turning around and naming the girl and implying she's a monster. HI HYPOCRISY.

Garts

Bench
I do not personally associate the word skank as being sexually promiscuous. I more associate it with low morals (not sexually), dirty and just a general bitch. If I was going to insult someone for being sexually promiscuous I would use s!ut. However I get why some are offended with its use. Me I could not give a f**k. I just think it was a low act from the girls to profit from someones misfortune intentially.

spider

Coach
I do not personally associate the word skank as being sexually promiscuous. I more associate it with low morals (not sexually), dirty and just a general bitch

i agree

skank - Disgusting or vulgar matter; filth.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skank

skank - filth: any substance considered disgustingly foul or unpleasant

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=define:skank&meta=

no reference to promiscuity in those definitions

maybe it's a case of precious intentions toward sensorship

Vossy

Bench
i love the irony of the telegraph buying the video and then turning around and naming the girl and implying she's a monster. HI HYPOCRISY.

channel 9 and danny weidler brought the video

she took advantage of seymour but still wanted to keep her identity a secret, stiff sh!t, she was outed as the low life gold digging b!tch she is and deserves everything she gets for that 3k

Evenflow

Bench

It would've been hypocritical had the telegraph brought the video then turned around and named her......but they didn't buy the video, channel 9 did and the telegraph only named her/showed the video after it was aired on 9 so there's no hypocrisy at all.

I do not personally associate the word skank as being sexually promiscuous. I more associate it with low morals (not sexually), dirty and just a general bitch. If I was going to insult someone for being sexually promiscuous I would use s!ut. However I get why some are offended with its use. Me I could not give a f**k. I just think it was a low act from the girls to profit from someones misfortune intentially.

I couldn't agree with that more. I too in no way associate the word skank as being sexually promiscuous. s**t yes, whore and root rat as well but not skank as the post above mine shows.

In my opinion Seymour shouldn't have been so maggoted during the season. I've no problems players having a few drinks but to me that went a bit far and i'd be pretty pissed if it was a player from my club. That said this opportunistic leach had no right to film him like that with the sole intention of making money off it. Call that sexist if you like but if it was a bloke you can bet your arse i'd be calling him much worse than that.

I say sole intention because if you listen very carefully to the audio at around the 33 second mark you'll hear her say along the lines of "Do you know how much money we could get?" Or something very close along those lines.

For that reason i find her a contemptable human being and i for one hope she gets everything she'll no doubt cop and deserves from the public when the recognize her. You reap what you sow and karma is a right bitch!

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Wonder what people think of the *bloke* who took/sold that photo of Sonny Bill and Candice in the loo at the Clovelly?

Double standards anyone...?

No worries, good to hear.

Who was making wild assumptions?

Could you please refer me back to where I "stated" that I knew what was going on with Seymour? Thanks

Your comments infer you have difficulty believing his remorse.

That is your choice, however the Club has taken his admissions and desire to reform on face value and offered to support him. The ball is in his court now and if he does screw up again, he will be gone. The Club has shown they have no desire to put up with ongoing poor off field behaviour.

At what? Himself? From what I have seen, his childish statements are that of a 15 year old boy that has no clue.

What ever age he is and what ever motivation, his statement that Seymour is a good bloke, should be taken on face value, if you know Seymour personally, I am happy to hear you view. Seymour has a drinking problem, it does not make him a bad bloke.

I remember him admitting that he likes the drink back at the broncos too (before he got fired for the very same reason). Yet, here we are again, in the same situation, however only this time, he didnt knock someone out. How many times does he have to admit that he likes the grog before he whales on someone again? Same with all NRL players. VERY SOON, it's going to happen. Someone is going to be killed through this idiocy.

So you were there were you? He knocked someone out did he? Anyway that's beside the point. As I already said, he is a repeat offender. It ahs been made clear this is his last opportunity to get the help he needs to value himself and his opportunities as a first grade league player. If he doesn't he will only have himself to blame.

Why you talk about someone being killed, when discussing Seymour is beyond me. He did not hurt or attempt to hurt anyone.

Exactly my point. You're a biased sharks fan, fair enough. HOWEVER, you cannot tell me any other way that these players are FORCED by the club to apologise for their actions. This is business, the question mark is that how many of them truthfully are apologetic?

Well neither of us know what come from the heart or not. the proof is in Seymours actions going forward.

Mate you are deadset throwing out assumptions left right and center based on previous possible debates you have had with other individuals from other clubs, all probably on this forum.

Show me where I said I disliked Cronulla?
Show me where I said I disliked Seymour?

Seymour is a drunken idiot, does that mean I dislike him? Hmm? Only I can tell you that.

Do you? Please be honest.

Absolutely rubbish mate. So in your defence, it's ok if they're 18-21, they can go out and assault people willy nilly because they're young and naive? That's what you're saying in the above mate. And I'm as diehard a rooster as you'll get.

Take my love for Caesar Soliola. Same thing, if he went out and beat his lovely girlfriend up, I'd hang on him as well (however he's quite a classy young bloke with good family values, unlike your friend maxpower who seems to believe that he's a true man because he can call his girlfriend a skank whilst holding hit nuts in the palm of his hands)

You are unfortunately, just another "fan" that is happy to allow these kids to get away with this rubbish yet in "real life", a normal 18 year old will get hung out to dry by authorities and public in general by committing the very same crimes that they idiots are committing (that's in relation to the Cherrington case as well).

It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

You commit the crime, you do the time.

WTF are you on about. I am not talking about anyone that has assaulted another person. I am talking about the kid caught DUI. Yes, madness and deserving of both Club/NRL and Court action. Yes he has to learn a lesson. Show me where I stated he should not!

My point was that the level of fine + ban was disproportionate in my opinion. Those who are not NRL players are not fined by their employer then by the courts, however in accepting his actions creates a detrimental view of the game in the eyes of the public and sponsors, action by the club / NRL is appropriate. IMO a 19yo on 50 grand coping 10 grand and a ban is disproportionate to that of players on 200 - 250 grand and a similar ban. I am not suggesting he should not be subject to the same rules, just that in this case he is hit harder than Seymour and Stewart given his standing (remuneration) in the game.

Finally, I assume you are trying to debate and not argue. If it is the later, don't bother. I have work in the morning and can't really be bothered

Cheers Rooster

butchmcdick

Post Whore
It doesn't matter what you think is offensive but what others think is offensive. If women think the term skank is offensive then it is offensive.

It doesn't matter what you call your mates or what you think skank means but what women think it means. Do you guys get it now ?

Haven't you been to any sexual harressment education sessions where you work ?

Garts

Bench
Wonder what people think of the *bloke* who took/sold that photo of Sonny Bill and Candice in the loo at the Clovelly?

Same thing, the bloke is a dick. Should have let them bang in peace.

Garts

Bench

In saying what I said before this was worse than being pissed in public.

Kiki

First Grade
i don't find the term skank itself offensive, but when used in this situation...i do.

in my mind it's a term referring to a womans sexuality, and i think alot of girls would agree with me. thats why i object to it being used in this case because what she did has nothing to do with sex.

also...'sensorship'...?? REALLY?

ibeme

First Grade
It doesn't matter what you think is offensive but what others think is offensive. If women think the term skank is offensive then it is offensive.

It doesn't matter what you call your mates or what you think skank means but what women think it means. Do you guys get it now ?

Haven't you been to any sexual harressment education sessions where you work ?

Some cases are more obvious than others.

Some vegetarians are offended by meat eaters. Does that make meat eaters offensive, or does it make the vegetarian overly senstive?

bartman

Immortal
Same thing, the bloke is a dick. Should have let them bang in peace.

In saying what I said before this was worse than being pissed in public.
Fair enough.

But I wonder if people calling this girl a skank etc would call the guy who took/hawked the cubicle tryst photo a man whore...? Or even worse (since it's a bloke)... a virgin? :shock:

The point is this thread has been sexist and loaded with double standards from it's very start... Because people want to insist that footy players can do no wrong and someone else is always to blame.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair enough.

But I wonder if people calling this girl a skank etc would call the guy who took/hawked the cubicle tryst photo a man whore...? Or even worse (since it's a bloke)... a virgin? :shock:

The point is this thread has been sexist and loaded with double standards from it's very start... Because people want to insist that footy players can do no wrong and someone else is always to blame.

A bloke being called a whore most likely won't give a sh*t. It is thus a crap insult. Quite clearly, a large group of females are offended by skank/s**t/whore. Making it a far better insult.

spider

Coach
i don't find the term skank itself offensive,

your repeated objections to the word tend to infer otherwise

in my mind it's a term referring to a womans sexuality,
that is the beauty of discussion - everyone has differing perceptions, some not as demeaning as others...

and i think alot of girls would agree with me. thats why i object to it being used in this case because what she did has nothing to do with sex.
and i think a lot of girls would disagree too

also...'sensorship'...?? REALLY?
you continually post your objection to the word skank, are you hinting toward people to refrain from using it, in other words - sensorship

bartman

Immortal
A bloke being called a whore most likely won't give a sh*t. It is thus a crap insult. Quite clearly, a large group of females are offended by skank/s**t/whore. Making it a far better insult.
But unless you're using that insult to the person concerned's face, then you're just insulting random other people (in this case other women) for the sake of it.

It's the same reason why bandying about racist terms is not on... because it's offensive to more people than was usually intended by the comment when it was made.

Latest posts