What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MELBOURNE 3rd Test: Australia v India on Dec 26-30, 2014

BunniesMan

Immortal
JB making a good point for a change. So much less batting depth these days. Only about 4 blokes who average over 40 in shield currently and haven't been picked. 15 years ago 50+ wasn't a guarantee to get you a test.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
JB making a good point for a change. So much less batting depth these days. Only about 4 blokes who average over 40 in shield currently and haven't been picked. 15 years ago 50+ wasn't a guarantee to get you a test.

Yeah its a problem. Best shown by Ponting retiring from test cricket because he couldn't play elite fast bowling any more and him going back to shield cricket and dominating.

BunniesMan

Immortal
What is even more alarming is how everyone agrees batting is easier now. Giant bats, smaller fields (ropes). Imagine what this crop of batsmen would average if given a bat from 1990 and no ropes.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Thats the worrying thing, when punter went back to Tassie, i expected him to struggle a little, but just flat out killed the bowling.

I wonder why the averages have dropped, is it because of t20? With players trying to play more strokes and getting out?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think the inability to play long innings is because players like Rogers sr in short supply, to much 50 over and 20 over games, not enough concentration.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Thats the worrying thing, when punter went back to Tassie, i expected him to struggle a little, but just flat out killed the bowling.

I wonder why the averages have dropped, is it because of t20? With players trying to play more strokes and getting out?

There is merit to that theory IMO. A lot of people are saying Alastair Cook's Test form has gone to shit since he has been playing more limited overs. It changes the way batsmen think, their technique, their footwork, their tactics.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
too much leg side to Rogers, bowling to a leg slip can be very expensive