What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne must still be cheating the cap

Stormerz

Juniors
I guess Saints didn't let anyone go to sign Gasnier.
They only lost Smith, Costigan, Saffy, Fai Fai Loa, Priddis (retired), Henry, Thorby, Lett + a few others last year.
Without any implications, the Storm did shed a lot of players every year as well- more than comparable to the names on your list.

HowHigh

Coach
if worsthalfbackpearce says we're over the cap it probably means we're 1 million under it

Butters

Bench
I guess Saints didn't let anyone go to sign Gasnier.
They only lost Smith, Costigan, Saffy, Fai Fai Loa, Priddis (retired), Henry, Thorby, Lett + a few others last year.

Melbourne were losing rep players every year from 06-09 and still somehow managed to cheat the cap.

maccattack

Juniors
Is this a serious post?

Well its not entirely tongue in cheek. Unless Manly undergo a full scale audit, as did melbourne, we will never know for sure if they were under the cap.

But it clearly wasnt just player payments that made melbourne strong.

Still manly must have been pretty special to beat a team like melbourne. Especially if they were under the cap. It must be the sporting feat of the century.

Wato

Juniors
Could you please tell me what Manly have done to deserve this credit of being much better than the Storm?

The wins against the Broncos and Cowboys were with both teams missing their origin stars. The Bulldogs game was impressive but over the last few weeks, every team's looked great against them. Manly are yet to beat a decent, in form team.

In saying that Dragons are still ahead of the Storm at the moment.

The way they have gone about beating sides but also how they have gone the distance with other top 4 sides e.g Cowboys although they lost by 2 points. The Storm have been beating up on the weaker sides imo and when challenged by the Warriors failed to stand up. Today they were good against Wests but I don't rate Wests as one of the top sides especially without Benji for as long as they lost him for. If they can challenge one of the top four I will believe the hype but until then, there just another side who will make the top four then bomb out like Cronulla in 2008 or the Knights in 2006( although they were missing Buderus and Johns).

thommo4pm

Coach
Without any implications, the Storm did shed a lot of players every year as well- more than comparable to the names on your list.

I don't disagree, and I don't think the Storm are over the cap. I'm actually happy they have bounced back so well this year as I think it's good for the game.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
tumblr_lm6gu9IYlw1qecxv1o1_500.gif

thommo4pm

Coach
Good point.

thommo - The Dragons didn't sign any other players or upgrade any other contracts?

Can you honestly say they would have been to the equal of the value of the players we lost?
And we are losing more at the end of this year.

The only player of note we signed for this year, was Cuthbertson. He was playing park footy, he would not have cost a great deal at all.

LatK7

First Grade
Well its not entirely tongue in cheek. Unless Manly undergo a full scale audit, as did melbourne, we will never know for sure if they were under the cap.

But it clearly wasnt just player payments that made melbourne strong.

Still manly must have been pretty special to beat a team like melbourne. Especially if they were under the cap. It must be the sporting feat of the century.

I definitely agree. Good coaching and hard work went a long way as well. Manly in 2008 were pretty damn special.

Stormerz

Juniors
The way they have gone about beating sides but also how they have gone the distance with other top 4 sides e.g Cowboys although they lost by 2 points. The Storm have been beating up on the weaker sides imo and when challenged by the Warriors failed to stand up. Today they were good against Wests but I don't rate Wests as one of the top sides especially without Benji for as long as they lost him for. If they can challenge one of the top four I will believe the hype but until then, there just another side who will make the top four then bomb out like Cronulla in 2008 or the Knights in 2006( although they were missing Buderus and Johns).
I guess it's just the manner of play in which the Storm play in grinding out to get a win although there are definitely more flashy moments than in the past. Historically the Storm have never done well against the Warriors so that was no surprise. They're definitely weaker than in previous years, there is no doubt about that but Smith, Cronk and Slater can definitely lead a team through the finals.

Storm are playing tired atm it must be noted, especially with the rep games that the Big 3 are having to play. They were very impressive in earlier rounds against the Dogs (who were unbeaten then) as well as the demolishing of Parramatta.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Can you honestly say they would have been to the equal of the value of the players we lost?
And we are losing more at the end of this year.

The only player of note we signed for this year, was Cuthbertson. He was playing park footy, he would not have cost a great deal at all.

I wouldn't know, which is why I'm asking.

You felt compelled to list all the players you shed, but weren't so keen to list those you re-signed or brought into the club.

Are you sure he's the only player of note you signed?

thommo4pm

Coach
I wouldn't know, which is why I'm asking.

You felt compelled to list all the players you shed, but weren't so keen to list those you re-signed or brought into the club.

Are you sure he's the only player of note you signed?

Yes mate, our 3 signings were Cuthbertson, Penese & Gower.

Wato

Juniors
I guess it's just the manner of play in which the Storm play in grinding out to get a win although there are definitely more flashy moments than in the past. Historically the Storm have never done well against the Warriors so that was no surprise. They're definitely weaker than in previous years, there is no doubt about that but Smith, Cronk and Slater can definitely lead a team through the finals.

Storm are playing tired atm it must be noted, especially with the rep games that the Big 3 are having to play. They were very impressive in earlier rounds against the Dogs (who were unbeaten then) as well as the demolishing of Parramatta.

True but Parramatta and the Bulldogs don't look like being even top 8 contenders although the Dogs could grab 8th if they can string a few games together. The spine is Melbourne's greatest asset and should get them a top 4 finish but when it comes to the big games I don't see them beating Manly or Saints. I would love to see a Melbourne/North Queensland semi, the experience of guys like Thurston,Payne,Bowen,Hall,Johnson up against the young inexperienced Storm side lead by the big three. Would be great to see how young guys like Duffie,Widdop,Proctor etc handle finals footy or whether the Cows experience would be just too large an obstacle to overcome.

maccattack

Juniors
Not everyone will agree but the two biggest things storm have going for them is cohesion and self belief. They always play as a team and like the broncos always believe they will win. The mindset is what sets them apart imo.

parra_jesus

Juniors
melbourne are a well coached , drill team with the best players in the key positions. they deserve to be entranched at the top of the table , but they have 80 percent of there salary cap soaked up in there top 3 , 4 players they a injurie to smith and or slater there goes there season down the drain. were as if that was to happen to the dragons or manly they would be able to cope with the loss

Stormerz

Juniors
True but Parramatta and the Bulldogs don't look like being even top 8 contenders although the Dogs could grab 8th if they can string a few games together. The spine is Melbourne's greatest asset and should get them a top 4 finish but when it comes to the big games I don't see them beating Manly or Saints. I would love to see a Melbourne/North Queensland semi, the experience of guys like Thurston,Payne,Bowen,Hall,Johnson up against the young inexperienced Storm side lead by the big three. Would be great to see how young guys like Duffie,Widdop,Proctor etc handle finals footy or whether the Cows experience would be just too large an obstacle to overcome.
Similarly i'd like to see Manly actually face a decent team and beat them before coming to any conclusions about them. They're virtually the same team as last year with Cherry-Evans in for Hodkinson and Stewart back. They haven't beat a decent team yet imo.