What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Storm CRL Thread

Nevcost

Juniors
Yeah I reckon this team has got the right mix between depth and classy players and will hopefully take out both titles :D

Hopefully Nev. ;-)

We have an unbeliveably difficult draw. So chances are we are gonna have to perform better than we should have to to win this season.
:sch:

Caged Panther

First Grade
UndertakerMike said:
Hopefully Nev. ;-)

We have an unbeliveably difficult draw. So chances are we are gonna have to perform better than we should have to to win this season. :sch:

Have to perform better than you should have. Typical melbourne arrogance UM :lol:

Thinking you could perform less and take away the prize :lol

Misty Bee said:
Hard draw? Are you playing harder teams than everybody else????
No Mr Sir CEO. :worried:

I would of complained privately but I always accept the challenge and abide by the competition's criteirias. O:) O:)

FYI

Here's a copy of the report I sent out to our share holders and members

Internal report said:
This upcoming season will prove to be the most difficult season the Storm have faced since coming into the CRL comp in CRLIII
While is is great to have jioned forces with Brizzie Norths, headed by Nevcost, the logistics of the new Coporation will ensure that great care and planning is needed to make this season a success.

I feel the onfield estimates should remain conservative and the pubicly stated outlook should be no more that 7 wins and one Draw For the Storm and 7 wins and one Draw For Brizzie Norths.

Draw Lowlights:

• One less home game than half the other sides,
  • The two teams that have the wood on us meet us at home thus negating our home ground advantage.
  • Alot of home games at the start of the season therefore becoming a tall poppy, an extra reason for a FEU token to be used against us. (not there needs to be an extra reason for some people) :evil:
But most important of all:

• A string of away matches near the end of the season, Potentially leading to poor form heading into the finals.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Draw Highlights:

• While the Storm field a team committed to perform at their best anything is possible.

Ghoulies

Bench
Alot of home games at the start of the season therefore becoming a tall poppy, an extra reason for a FEU token to be used against us. (not there needs to be an extra reason for some people)
But most important of all:

A string of away matches near the end of the season, Potentially leading to poor form heading into the finals.
Or you could look at it this way:

Your early home games leads to great form, allowing you to snare a few away victories in the back-end of the season.

Ghoulies said:
Or you could look at it this way:

Your early home games leads to great form, allowing you to snare a few away victories in the back-end of the season.
I have looked at it that way and that may be the case. ;-)

This is going to be such an interesting season and there is so much to take in during it. :D

Announcement said:
We at the Storm feel that this is as good as time as any to appoint our Captains.

Matt Geyer will become the Storm Captain.
Matt, besides being an Original Storm Squad member was a pivital force behind the debut premiership win not only topping the scoreing but excelling in the Key 5/8 position.
Matt is expected to hold several key positions this season and lead from the front as he always did as Kearns deputy.

Nathan Friend will Captain Brizzie Norths.
Nathan has possibly been the most unlucky yet loyal Storm squad member here. unfortunately he will always play second Fiddle to the Great Cam Smith but has taken this well and used it as an extra incentive.
The Storm senior coach has assured Nathan that this captancy appointment will not hinder any first grade opportunities should they eventuate.

Note this is the CRL vesion of the interview:

Q and A with new recruit James Aubusson

How are you enjoying Melbourne?
It's great, I'm loving it. I've been spending a lot of time with my teammates. Because everyone is from somewhere else we tend to stick together which is really good.

What made you move from the Roosters?
Opportunity I guess. opportunity to play for a truly great club unlike the Roosters who are a phuesdo team. Football isn't just all about the on field stuff, there's more to life than that.

What has it been like training under UndertakerMike?
Awesome, he's fantastic. He's not backward in coming forward. I think his ability to be understood is what makes him a great coach, and his presence is felt by everybody. When he's around, training picks up an extra 10-20%.
He's very technical, but doesn't place an over emphasis on technique. He concentrates more on the players' mental attitude towards things.

What are your goals for 2006?
Hopefully to play CRL first Grade and stay there for as long as I can are my two main goals. If that doesn't happen straight away, just to fight as hard as I can to get in there.

How have the boys accepted you and the other new comers?
Everyone is really willing to have a cuppachinos coffe and chat The players that have been here for a while go out of their way to help you. You always feel included. There's always some social event happening or something going on and they've made me feel very welcome.

Any players in particularly have taken you under their wing?
Whitey (Brett White) has a bit, until UM delisted him. I get along with the boys I live with as well, Shorty (Ryan Shortland) and Ando. We've developed a really good friendship which makes life a lot easier.
Shorty, Ando and I have all got bad habits, but we're all pretty resilient to one another. We've all lived in football accommodation for a while now and we know when to give each other quiet time and when to make the cuppachinos. We've got a lot of respect for each other and it works really well at the moment.

How do you think the Storm will go in 2006?
Very well I reckon. There's a lot enthusiasm around the park. There's still a few of the older heads around like Hilly (Scott Hill) and Boofa (Matt Geyer) who lead the way. Everyone is really confident. Although the draw dosen't favour us at all.

Cooper Cronk?
It's definitely very competitive between the two of us, but he's a really good bloke and deserves his shot there.

Other positions?
I can play half-back, 5/8, hooker, lock, pretty much anywhere except the front-row. I think these are the qualities that have got me in the other sides over the years.

Melbourne rugby league culture?
I think the Storm has a very good name in terms of the club's behaviour and their standing the public. Coming from a club that was always in the spotlight for being over-rated tossers, the Storm have a very good reputation. I haven't really experienced the Storm fans yet, but the boys have told me how passionate they are and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Note this is the CRL vesion of the interview:
Q and A with Matthew Bartlett
New Storm second-rower Matthew Bartlett

pgcimg_20060119152122142.jpg

You spent four years in the junior ranks at the Newcastle Knights. What made you move to Melbourne?
Opportunity. A couple of times the Knights bought players over me. I belive the knights got over confident in thier success and forgot the key elements of success. Here in Melbourne they eat and breathe elements of success. They sometimes even add it into thier cuppachinos.

How have you found Melbourne as a city?
Loving it, it's great. The city's unreal. they make the best cuppachinos here. The boys and the club are great. I've taken a couple of trips down to Torquay and Phillip Island and they were a bit of a surprise. It was nice and warm both days and it was a pretty nice area. I'm also off to the Tennis this Saturday. I'm not really a tennis fan, but I'm a sports fan so it should be good.

Who is your flatmate here? What is he like to live with?

Garrett Crossman is my flatmate. He's alright to live with the big fella, make great cupachinos. Pretty easy to get along with, easy going. He talks to himself about pretty much anything and everything.

What sort of things have the other players, coaches and club done to make your transition to Melbourne life easier?
Everyone is willing to help you with whatever you need. Everyone just welcomed me in straight away, invited me out for a feed and cuppachino. Everyone's pretty approachable. There's no ego's down here either, just UM ;-), we're a big group of mates and that's how everyone is treated.

What are your main goals for 2006?
Probably to play a handful of first grade games and cement a spot on the list for next year and hopefully secure the option of a second year on my contract. I want to contribute to the team and to the Storm as much as possible.

Melbourne Storm have real depth in the second row with players such as Crocker, Hoffman, Kidwell and Glen Turner. Do you see that as a positive for your development or a hindrance in getting a first grade game?
I don't really see it as a hindrance. There's a pretty high turnover in the back row with injuries. I've been lucky (sic)to play with Steve Simpson and Ben Kennedy at the Knights, and now I see myself even more lucky to learn off Rahihi, who's an international (and a great cuppachino maker) and Mason, also an Origin and international player (and makes a mean latte).

Have you always wanted be an NRL player?
Yeah, always. Ask my school teachers, nothing else has ever crossed my mind. My school teachers were a bit filthy and I probably should have tried a bit harder, but I just put all of my eggs in the one basket.

Realistically, how far can the Storm go this year?
A long way I think. It's very hard to pick the comp before injuries. If we can keep everyone on the field, with our good balance of young blokes who give us the enthusiasm of youth and the invincible attitude plus the older blokes like Cam Smith and Matty Geyer to direct us around, we could go all the way.

rare interview with MG said:
rep: so how has the preparation been for CRL VII?
MG Ah It's been hectic with all the new faces, um ... Being made Captain has been a real honour though. errr No more making the Chinos.... Thats for the up and comers now.
rep: First game v the Tigers. they knocked you out of the finals last year giving your team a devastating end to what was otherwise your best finish in the H&A season.
MG: Yea, No , Yea .... No Loove lost here. Ahhhh ... The Tigers have always been a tough team for the Storm and .... errr .... I reckon we'll be fired up for this one. Extra Chinos all round I reckon. Hmmm
rep: How the coach building momentum for the game?
MG: uhhh Yea. This is an easy one, cough ... UM has been frothing in the mouth like an jug of milk topping the chino for this one. he has been screamming nonstop giving us messages and the like.
rep: And what is the main message?
MG: No mercy.
rep: that simple is it?
MG: Nah UM just wants ta kill 'em. We gave him a pair of boots but he just ate them.
rep: Well he sounds revved up.
MG: Yea ... No ..... Yea! the whiole team is.
We are gonna come out fireing.

7,500 posts.

Now this is a great numeric milestone. 3/4 of 10,000,, 3 times 1/4 of 10,000 and 2 times 30,000/8

This post shall be used to declare the :sch: symbol to be the trademark of the Storm coaching staff.

Match result rnd1 Brizzie Norths v WestsPL. said:
Brizzie Norths stared the CRL season with a great win over a Wests Tiggers PL that was keen to start the year off well.

The Storm and Brizzies Norths were absolutely determined to start this important year off with a win that we were happy to accomplish. :sch:

The first game was the Brizzie Norths CRL debut and they did fantastically well keeping Wests PL team score less while scoreing 4 converted tries them selves. Arubusson was fantastic in directing the team around while Bretnal was great in assisting Arubusson and score a double to earn him the MOM honuors.
Anderson did really well in the second Row and Friend lead from the Fornt with inspriational captaincy and great service to the forwards and halves.
Details: Brizzie Norths 24 - Wests 0
Tries:-Bretnal 2, Anderson 1, Tatataese 1, Irwin 4 goals
PL Clubman of the year Bretnal3 , Arubusson 2, Quinn 1 Shortland 1, Feeny 1.

Match result rnd1 Melbourne Storm v Wests FG. said:

Melbourne Storm FG started the CRL season at Olympic Park with a great win over a Wests Tiggers club that has always been a tough team to beat.

The Storm were quite concerned with how all the new combinations would jell considering the new halves (for the first time in Storms CRL history). And it's first season without its greatest ever Forward Robbie Kearns :sch:

The Tigers started agressivly well and opened the scoreing but the Storm steadily got on top. "Consistant performance" was the way the Storm Coach described the game as While the Storm progressed to a 22 point win never really shook of a determined Tigers outfit. Both Props, King, Slater and Smith had great games. UM started Geyer at 5/8 to ensure stability in the halves and help him ease into the Captaincy role but insists the Geyer spot this season is in the back line leaving Hill to resume adding spark and a bit of polish to the 5/8 role.
UM feels a special mention should go to ingliss, Hoffman(playing out of position), and a great debut form Webster.

The Storm did not come out of the game unscathed:
Johnson has an ankle injury and will have scan to reveal the extent of the damage.
Cronk has some general soreness and will be monitored this week.
B.Ross has a corky and will also be monitored this week as a precaution.

Details: Melbourne Storm 36 - Wests 14
Tries:- Mason 2, Slater 1, King 1, Smith 1, Cronk 1. Smith 4 goals
Top 3 players King 3 , Mason 2, C Smith 1.

Latest posts